Masters & Dynamics MW75 New Headphones
Aug 21, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #31 of 275
I think Apple, Sony and Bose are probably the only people developing their own ANC implementations. Everyone else just uses the Qualcomm reference design from the SoC

Interestingly :

https://twitter.com/seanolive/status/1560711037581611009?s=20&t=0vz2JbKaqJ31FNPW76348w

I’ve read that AMS also has a number of ANC solutions in some product (JBL Tour One unless I’m mistaken).

What matters I guess isn’t just the chip but also the acoustic design, the characterisation of the Headphones, and the filters’ design, but I know nothing of these issues (but would love to learn more).

Aug 21, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #32 of 275
Interestingly :

https://twitter.com/seanolive/status/1560711037581611009?s=20&t=0vz2JbKaqJ31FNPW76348w

I’ve read that AMS also has a number of ANC solutions in some product (JBL Tour One unless I’m mistaken).

What matters I guess isn’t just the chip but also the acoustic design, the characterisation of the Headphones, and the filters’ design, but I know nothing of these issues (but would love to learn more).
Interesting! Fascinating that Sony appear to now be licensing their solution.

Yes, obviously it is more complex than just the SoC in play. The similarity between the 5909 and the MW75 from a reference design perspective seems interesting. Since the assumption appears to be that Harman is the ODM for both it would be intriguing if the MW75 also used a Sony based ANC implementation.

Aug 21, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #33 of 275
I wish they'd stuck with the gorgeous design of the MW65, that retro look was so unique. And the berylium driver! Also gave a very unusual sound signature. Think i'll just stick with my mw65
They kept the Beryllium driver and the amazing highs. I loved the MW65, the MW75 sounds very similar but more extended in the sub bass and a wider more open soundstage. Just a more capable headphone

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #34 of 275
They kept the Beryllium driver and the amazing highs. I loved the MW65, the MW75 sounds very similar but more extended in the sub bass and a wider more open soundstage. Just a more capable headphone
Oh that's fab, someone elsewhere said it was an organic driver. The MW65 is one of my favourite headphones period, so it's good to hear the MW75 is a developement. That said I'm still a bit forlorn over the design change.

Aug 21, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #35 of 275
Oh that's fab, someone elsewhere said it was an organic driver. The MW65 is one of my favourite headphones period, so it's good to hear the MW75 is a developement. That said I'm still a bit forlorn over the design change.
The MW65 are a beautiful headphone, but the faux grills on the sides that had no functionality always bothered the minimalist in me.

Aug 21, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #37 of 275
Interesting! Fascinating that Sony appear to now be licensing their solution.

They have already licensed it in a couple of other headphones a couple of years ago (can't remember the models), but it was unlikely that was (and the same applies to the ML N5909) the latest implementation they had (i.e. the same they have in WH-1000XM5).

Aug 21, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #38 of 275
The MW65 are a beautiful headphone, but the faux grills on the sides that had no functionality always bothered the minimalist in me.
For real? I'm a big fan of the grille.
I guess I'm just a bit dissapointed M&D have gone down the same route as the other brands and basically made their take on APM. The M3/XM5/MW75 all have this kind of similar design language, whereas I think M&D have a really unique touch for design if they'd let it run. Like with their MW65/MW60/MH30/MH40. This one feels like a departure from their strength!

Aug 21, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #39 of 275
For real? I'm a big fan of the grille.
I guess I'm just a bit dissapointed M&D have gone down the same route as the other brands and basically made their take on APM. The M3/XM5/MW75 all have this kind of similar design language, whereas I think M&D have a really unique touch for design if they'd let it run. Like with their MW65/MW60/MH30/MH40. This one feels like a departure from their strength!
The MW75 bears no resemblance to the APM. A lambskin leather headband not silicon, a completely different hinge mechanism, lambskin leather ear cushions not fabric, buttons not touch controls, and completely different earcups. And I do like the MW65, just nitpicking. They're great sounding headphones

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #40 of 275
Black coffee on the left, Lavender latte on the right. Totally different sound signatures here. I've only been listening for about 30 minutes to the Px7 S2 but so far they're fantastic, although they're far less resolving than the MW75.

Attachments

• edited_20220823_151950.jpg
    edited_20220823_151950.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #42 of 275
Very interesting comparison. I’m wondering if I will forgo the MW75 and look into the PX7 S2. Though I do own the PX7. The build and design on the MW75 looks great!
I had the PX, the PX7 S2 sounds like a more detailed PX. It's a smooooth listen with great bass. The MW75 is on another level though. Much more detail and energy

Aug 23, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #43 of 275
Black coffee on the left, Lavender latte on the right. Totally different sound signatures here. I've only been listening for about 30 minutes to the Px7 S2 but so far they're fantastic, although they're far less resolving than the MW75.

Which one is more polished in terms of construction/built?

Also, from the pic it looks like the Px7 S2 has much higher clamping force than MW75. Is that correct? How is that different perceived when they're on your head?

Thanks a lot!

Aug 23, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #44 of 275
The build quality is great on both. The clamping force is slightly lighter actually on the S2, and they are more comfortable due to the slightly larger ear cushion inner diameter and lighter weight. The MW75 feel more durable, and hang around my neck more comfortably than the S2, which is a big plus for me. It's something I look for in portable headphones because when not in use, that's how I have them on. The S2 are tighter around the neck area, and don't lay as flat. They're both comfortable, but S2 is a little more comfortable on my head, less comfortable around my neck.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #45 of 275
The build quality is great on both. The clamping force is slightly lighter actually on the S2, and they are more comfortable due to the slightly larger ear cushion inner diameter and lighter weight. The MW75 feel more durable, and hang around my neck more comfortably than the S2, which is a big plus for me. It's something I look for in portable headphones because when not in use, that's how I have them on. The S2 are tighter around the neck area, and don't lay as flat. They're both comfortable, but S2 is a little more comfortable on my head, less comfortable around my neck.

Thanks a lot! What about construction and details, which one would you say feels more polished?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back