Masters & Dynamics MW75 New Headphones
Jul 5, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #4 of 275
Jul 5, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #5 of 275
I owned the MW65 for a bit and they were truly a poor headphone, I even swapped for another unit I was so appalled. Just legitimately awful compared to Airpods Max.
I have also owned their MH40, which was better but still nowhere near competitors.

Maybe they've gotten better. But their other offerings, for me at least, were comically bad. Shame as they're some of the most visually impressive headphones I've owned, at any price point!

Edit: The above is baloney. I had a faulty MW65. Since I have tried another, non faulty pair, they are much louder and sound superb.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #6 of 275
I owned the MW65 for a bit and they were truly a poor headphone, I even swapped for another unit I was so appalled. Just legitimately awful compared to Airpods Max.
I have also owned their MH40, which was better but still nowhere near competitors. After looking into the company it seems like a startup with a CEO who is very design focused, and not technical. There are engineers on glassdoor saying the whole company is a mess.

Maybe they've gotten better. But their other offerings, for me at least, were comically bad. Shame as they're some of the most visually impressive headphones I've owned, at any price point!

In this case, outsourcing technical design and manufacturing to the same outfit who did the ML 5909, and limiting themselves to the cosmetics only actually made the MW75 terrific headphones.. But I am also curious how the MW75 and ML5909 would differ... Tuning perhaps?

Jul 5, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #7 of 275
In this case, outsourcing technical design and manufacturing to the same outfit who did the ML 5909, and limiting themselves to the cosmetics only actually made the MW75 terrific headphones.. But I am also curious how the MW75 and ML5909 would differ... Tuning perhaps?
Interesting, indeed maybe they learn their lesson, outsourced the headphone as you claim and just worked on the design and marketing (which they can do). Is there good evidence they have the same driver as the ML 5909?

Jul 5, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #8 of 275
Interesting, indeed maybe they learn their lesson, outsourced the headphone as you claim and just worked on the design and marketing (which they can do). Is there good evidence they have the same driver as the ML 5909?

Hard to tell without technical schematics, but the FCC images and notes are virtually identical, the driver specs are (40mm Beryllium), the mechanism to convert 3.5mm analog to unused connections in the USB-C connection is and even the app is structured identically... Even the headband looks the same 🤣

Jul 5, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #9 of 275
The 5909 does support LDAC in addition to APTX Adaptive, the MW75 does not.

Jul 25, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #11 of 275
Hard to tell without technical schematics, but the FCC images and notes are virtually identical, the driver specs are (40mm Beryllium), the mechanism to convert 3.5mm analog to unused connections in the USB-C connection is and even the app is structured identically... Even the headband looks the same 🤣
Well, you can see the user guides and find something a little strange:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...-58a0-4b5c-94fe-1003264ed01b.pdf?v=1656015308

https://www.marklevinson.com/on/dem.../pdfs/ML No5909_Owners Manual_Rev1_220202.pdf

They have the same "ear health" chapter with the SAME text, Weird, isn't it?

I could assume that M&D outsourced the manufactured of the MW75 with Harman company. It's an assumption of course but the FCC images and the manuals leads us to that conclusion.

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #13 of 275
I guess that they are using a different qualcomm chip that not supports LDAC to lower costs, but the main board, DACs, drivers could be the same.

Granted, there are technical differences, but I find those a bit too small to warrant the $500 difference between them...

Jul 26, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #14 of 275
Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #15 of 275

Users who are viewing this thread

Back