Mastering cans for music
Jan 15, 2019 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Dawnrazor

500+ Head-Fier
Have seen some reviews of mastering cans that are described as great for mastering but 'you wouldnt want to listen to music on them".

Can anyone explain that? If your upstream is good wouldnt you want your headphones to be as neutral and detailed as possible? Does that mean audiophile headphones are colored??

Jan 15, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 4
I'd imagine they mean that Mixing/mastering headphones usually have a super flat response which is great when you're putting track together, but they would lack some of the schnazz of headphones that are built around listening to rock/jazz/metal/country/yodeling/etc that have a slightly different response curve.

Jan 16, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 4
I'd imagine they mean that Mixing/mastering headphones usually have a super flat response which is great when you're putting track together, but they would lack some of the schnazz of headphones that are built around listening to rock/jazz/metal/country/yodeling/etc that have a slightly different response curve.
Ok that is probably true though it seems like the products are purposefully colored. Is that what music headphones are about? Pleasant colorations?

Jan 16, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 4
I'm not a qualified sound engineer so don't take what i say as fact, but when I mix/master my own music using headphones, It needs to be a headphone that has a particular kind of sound signature. I can't just use any headphone and expect good results. Furthermore, it has to be one that is extremely detailed, so that any flaws/imperfections in recordings can be identified and muted out. IMO, such headphones tend to be either too bright, too bassy, too flat/neutral or just downright dull/boring to listen to, when using them for just leisurely listening to my favourite tunes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back