Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone
Jul 22, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #571 of 624
Can someone post a link to the alcantara pads?

Jul 22, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #572 of 624
Can someone post a link to the alcantara pads?

M&D currently shows them out of stock on its website, you might want to send them an email to ask when they will be available again.

Aug 2, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #573 of 624
has anybody had try the mezze 99 cable in the mh40? having looked and "studyed" this page, now in just in the search of the correct balanced cable and seems like the mezze 99 cable fits correctly in the mh40 jacks
I found this cable in aliexpress (here) so maybe i pull the trigger and later make the conversion to balanced

Aug 2, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #574 of 624
has anybody had try the mezze 99 cable in the mh40? having looked and "studyed" this page, now in just in the search of the correct balanced cable and seems like the mezze 99 cable fits correctly in the mh40 jacks
I found this cable in aliexpress (here) so maybe i pull the trigger and later make the conversion to balanced

The MH40 is a single sided headphone. The jack on the other cup is for sharing audio (ie a chain).

You can, however, open up and resolder the circuit boards inside the MH40, to convert them to double sided jacks. The audio sharing function (as well as mute button) would be deleted, but they could then be used balanced.

Edit: Re-reading your post, it seems you’re already aware of this. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #575 of 624
The MH40 is a single sided headphone. The jack on the other cup is for sharing audio (ie a chain).

You can, however, open up and resolder the circuit boards inside the MH40, to convert them to double sided jacks. The audio sharing function (as well as mute button) would be deleted, but they could then be used balanced
Thats why i post the first link where explains exactly what you said. But the previous step is having the cable to make it work.

Hope anybody could have in their hands a mezze 99 cable to just see if it fits in the MH40. But maybe in the next days i buy the cheapest cable (like 30bucks) and test it for my self

Aug 30, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #576 of 624
Not sure if anyone has already tried this, but the Sony MDR-1AM2 balanced cable fits perfectly on the MH40. Running this balanced (4.4mm) in the office over my FiiO Q5s sounds notably better than unbalanced 3.5mm. Less warm, more definition (but still not detail retrieval kings).

After reading your comment, I did some research and it seems that this is possible by using the below cable.

https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/headphone-extension-cables/muc-s12nb1

I read a Japanese Review mentioning that the above cable was used with Sony MDR-1A.

So, I did watch a Sony MDR-1A unboxing and I saw that it has the same cable like the MH40 (inline mic compatible with Apple devices (CTIA-TRRS))

As far as I know, MH40 was made compatible with iPhone and so is the MDR-1A, and that means that both headphones TRRS port is equal to L+,R+,G,Mic. Right?

I would like to know what is the status of your FiiO Q5s after using it with MH40 Balanced? Is it still working fine? :sweat_smile:

Also, does the mute button on the ear cup still works when running Balanced?

Aug 30, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #577 of 624
Also, does the mute button on the ear cup still works when running Balanced?

Without running extra wiring, it can only be used to mute 1 side (the side with the button on it).

Aug 31, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #578 of 624
Without running extra wiring, it can only be used to mute 1 side (the side with the button on it).

Wow. Thanks. That's fine then, I don't usually use the mute button...:smile:

Are you using a balanced cable as well @Slater?

No issues experienced on your player?

Aug 31, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #579 of 624
Wow. Thanks. That's fine then, I don't usually use the mute button...:smile:

Are you using a balanced cable as well @Slater?

No issues experienced on your player?

Yes, I converted my Alcantaras to balanced, and using them with the ES100 :)

Aug 31, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #580 of 624
Yes, I converted my Alcantaras to balanced, and using them with the ES100 :)

Woohoo...Guess I have to that as well @Slater...

Did you use the same cable like @hifi80sman have (Sony MDR 1AM2)?

I have the ES100 as well... Thanks for the info...:)

Aug 31, 2020 at 6:24 AM Post #581 of 624
Sep 12, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #582 of 624
I just convert my MH40 in balanced headphones, i always felt like they would benefit of more power than any phone/laptop could give. An now i could use my ES100/Qudelix 5K in balanced, its just giving them a little more power to make them sound better with my phone
You need basic soldering skils but it can be done

the cable i bought was for the MEZE 99 in 2.5mm
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/4000943529415.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.87a363c0ecUwIv

And follow this guide:
http://xperiarx.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-108.html

Dec 5, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #583 of 624
Last year I've used a Dragonfly Red with the MH40 for a few months. It was a great combo with Tidal Hifi, MQA was working great! Better resolution, bass clearly more accurate and controlled. An overall improvement. The main reason I sold the DFR was the battery of my laptop : it was draining noticeably faster my laptop battery and couldn't deal with it in my situation at the time. Also on Tidal smartphone application I wasn't really satisfied, I guess I was to much used to my Spotify playlists. Anyway, I sold it with a bit of regrets and then came back to Spotify. After almost two years of use, I am going to replace it by a Fidelio X2HR. The price of the MH40 has dropped quite a lot, now at 199$ without discount ; I mention it because I am most likely to resell mine. But I think for anyone looking a close headphone with an elegant look with a warm signature, it can represent a good choice, even if portable wired headphones tend to be "out of date".

Jan 18, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #584 of 624
Is this the right thread to be discussing MH40 Wireless as well?

I made a full in-depth written review about them, and what a ride this is! For 250 USD, they got aptX, Type-C connectors, good comfort, and even a beautoiful design :)

More details, and comparisons with Deva, Momentum 3 and other cans in the full-length written review :)

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2...-master-dynamic-mh40-wireless-headphones.html

Master-Dynamic-MH40-Wireless-Bluetooth-ANC-Headphones-Headset-USA-Type-C-40mm-Driver-Neodyum-1...jpg

Jan 18, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #585 of 624
Is this the right thread to be discussing MH40 Wireless as well?

I made a full in-depth written review about them, and what a ride this is! For 250 USD, they got aptX, Type-C connectors, good comfort, and even a beautoiful design :)

More details, and comparisons with Deva, Momentum 3 and other cans in the full-length written review :)

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2...-master-dynamic-mh40-wireless-headphones.html

Master-Dynamic-MH40-Wireless-Bluetooth-ANC-Headphones-Headset-USA-Type-C-40mm-Driver-Neodyum-1...jpg

The one comparison you didn't make in that review that's begging to be made is with the original MH40 wired-only version. :)

There do not seem to be a lot of serious reviews of the MH40 Wireless but the few I've read seem to compare them unfavorably to the MH40 original wired-only model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back