Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone
Nov 22, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #301 of 624
  Cant believe it, I just saw champion (former champion) boxer Henry Cotto wearing the new wireless phones from Master and Dynamic. Finally, a sports celebrity endorsing something decent not named bose or beats.

Miguel Angel Cotto... not Henry... and yeah, saw him on 24/7 HBO
(and SPOILER... he just lost... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!)

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #304 of 624

Miguel Angel Cotto... not Henry... and yeah, saw him on 24/7 HBO
(and SPOILER... he just lost... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!)

sorry I am wayyy off topic but those judges sucked...no way he lost by that much. I forgot you were Boriqua... Cotto is my fav regardless he just had bad timing in his career. He actually showed more talent yet unfortunately less physical prowess because of the huge age difference...He was rocking out to some merengue before the fight. Im up for some recommendations because that genre sucks me in every time. My step father is Puerto Rican so I grew up listening to that. No doubt what cotto was prob rocking in those hp's.

Nov 23, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #305 of 624
I only heard the MH40 once and while it was good, I wasn't as impressed as I had expected to be. The KEF M500 is awesome, it was my portable of choice up until recently as I use the PM3. The PM3 is my choice but a significant reason is that it can be run balanced and I have a new balanced DAP coming. Other than that I would use both the KEF and Oppo. I'm a big fan of the KEF myself, in fact I have just now purchased some new KEF speakers for my stereo (R300). I'm trying to convince myself to sell the M500, but I really like it. I also had an XS for about 8 months. Like the V-moda sound, but the KEF is more accomplished and more comfortable I thought.

I actually gave the KEF to my dad. The sound was lovely and all encompassing. But it was just a bit too warm and lacking in detail. It's a shame because I've never had a pair of headphones that sound like speakers before. They were really nice. But if they can't articulate Nine Inch Nails properly then they're of no use to me. The XS sound thinner but definitely more detailed and have some sparkle up top. Instrument separation is better too and the bass on the KEF could bleed into the midst a bit and make everything muddy.

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #306 of 624
oops my bad. i should know better i am puerto rican. lol Henry was a baseball player with Seattle in the 90s.

LOL! :wink:

sorry I am wayyy off topic but those judges sucked...no way he lost by that much. I forgot you were Boriqua... Cotto is my fav regardless he just had bad timing in his career. He actually showed more talent yet unfortunately less physical prowess because of the huge age difference...He was rocking out to some merengue before the fight. Im up for some recommendations because that genre sucks me in every time. My step father is Puerto Rican so I grew up listening to that. No doubt what cotto was prob rocking in those hp's.

Yeah, I know... One saw it 119 for Canelo! What?!?! Oh well, Canelo did very good still so... let's see where does Cotto go from there (with his Master and Dynamics!!! Hahaha :p)

Awesome. Yeah, merengue is just freaking toe-tapping! LOL What we call "ritmo pegajoso". Between PR and Dominican artists, I can recommend:

Grupo Mania
Limite 21 (or Limi-T 21)
Elvis Crespo
Wilfrido Vargas
Grupo Karis
Los Hermanos Rosario
Olga Tañon
Joseph Fonseca
Toño Rosario
Jessie Ventura
and one of the Kings (in my eyes), plays good bachata and merengue, Juan Luis Guerra y Grupo 440. I don't like Bachata but I like HIS bachata style.

Also, I will "plug" my cousin, Juan Luis Juancho (lol). He was a singer with Grupo Karis, Grupo Mania, Blanco y Negro but he's been "solo" a few years and will release a new CD this week I think (or the next). :p

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #311 of 624
  Now $399 http://feedly.com/i/subscription/feed/http://www.audiophilia.com/wp/?feed=rss2
http://www.audiophilia.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/mw60.jpg

$299 Canadian, way, way better price at planetofsoundonline.com.

Nov 29, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #312 of 624
Well I've had them for a few days now. I've been pleasantly surprised by them in numerous ways. Mostly because I haven't had some of the problems others have had.

A number of people complained of a microphones problem whereby the cable rubbing against clothing was audible through the cups. I've had no problems at all with that so perhaps they've changed the cable material since they were first released.

They're very comfortable if you get the fit right. If you have the headband in the wrong spot where the weight is not sufficiently distributed across the band the middle of it can dig in a bit as the padding is thin. But if you get it right then it feels fine. There is little clamping pressure which adds to the comfort but results in the cans not being all that secure, again, if you don't have the head band in the right spot. The lamb skin memory foam ear pads are lovely and cushy. They don't cause itching or sweating at all and I've been able to play them for 8 hour stretches at work without my ears getting hot or uncomfortable. The glasses I wear don't seem to effect ether the seal or comfort at all. This is something I was worried about after seeing some reviews. But I'm glad to say that glasses are just not a problem. They're quite heavy due to the all metal/leather construction and my neck ached quite a bit after wearing them at work all day for the first time. But I'm adapting quickly.

I've never had any problems whatsoever maintaining a seal. Even when I've not fit them properly and they've moved around as a result, the seal never broke and that's with glasses on too. Isolation is OK but not great. They leak more than any closed back headphone I've ever used before. It's not that the volume of the leakage is high enough to annoy someone but people can clearly hear what you're listening too if they're sat right next to you as the vocals come out pretty clear. Luckily I work in a place where there are a few feet between us and everyone else is wearing headphones too. But even if that wasn't the case I still might get away with it because it's not that tinny white noise sound you get with in ears etc. It doesn't really sound annoying.

As for the sound. Wow! Everything has a real crack and punch to it. When you get past the intro and first verse of a rock song and the chorus suddenly hits it'll make you jump more often than not. Especially since the slight treble roll off allows you to listen to these phones at relatively high volumes without discomfort. The treble is definitely crisp and present and sometimes even a bit airy but it's just never harsh or piercing. It's probably my favourite treatment of treble I've come across so far. It allows me to listen all day at work at good volumes without even a hint of fatigue. The bass is punchy and goes down down down. Mids and vocals sound lovely and are neither overbearing or timid. These are probably the most fun headphones I've ever worn. I really get into the music with these.

The soundstage is really good for closed backs and instrument separation, details and imaging are excellent. Everything sounds so smooth with everything occupying it's own space unmasked and uninterrupted by the other things that are going on.

I definitely recommend the MH40s. There a pleasure to hold, touch, wear and listen to.

Dec 18, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #313 of 624
Nicely said, Buddhasense!  Master & Dynamic is the one brand I carry that most elicits oohs and ahhs for both their looks and sound. Oftentimes, customers already know what they are looking to audition when they call me for an audition.  But when I am out hosting a pop-up shop and a potential buyer is not sure what he/she wants, the M&D MH30 and MH40 always make people curious ("Wow, what are these?"). Then they listen and are usually blown away. 

Dec 18, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #314 of 624
  Nicely said, Buddhasense!  Master & Dynamic is the one brand I carry that most elicits oohs and ahhs for both their looks and sound. Oftentimes, customers already know what they are looking to audition when they call me for an audition.  But when I am out hosting a pop-up shop and a potential buyer is not sure what he/she wants, the M&D MH30 and MH40 always make people curious ("Wow, what are these?"). Then they listen and are usually blown away. 

I returned mine (MH40, tan). They were exquisitely made but sounded very SHOUTY and bottom end was lacking. Kind of irritating to listen to. Stop shouting music at me!

I had some conversations with them and I hope they'll be addressing the brashness in future headphones.

Dec 18, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #315 of 624
I get the Shouty comment, but not the lacking bottom end. Plenty of mid bass for sure. Less so on the sub bass. These are definitely voiced to sound "exciting" and "fun" rather than audiophile linear. I'm sure that's why they are so impressive during a brief audition. Lots of punch.  For the long haul, your mileage may vary. That sig is also best suited to being used out and about rather than in the quiet home environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back