Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone
Oct 13, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #181 of 624

Thanks, this picture really helps now that I have the MH40's and they do fit nicely around my ears, it looks like the Nad HP50's will also fit about the same. I do wish the MH40's had a little more clamping pressure. They have less clamping pressure than the V-Moda's and I thought they could have more. Just curious, how's the cramping pressure on the HP50 compared to the MH40?

Oh, i do remember the VModa having really good clamping pressure. The MH40's have more clamping pressure than the HP50's though, i'll represent it this way:

Clamping Pressure:

VModa M100 > MH40 > HP50

Oct 13, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #182 of 624

Oh, i do remember the VModa having really good clamping pressure. The MH40's have more clamping pressure than the HP50's though, i'll represent it this way:

Clamping Pressure:

VModa M100 > MH40 > HP50

Thanks for that comparison. I have been wearing these for about an hour now and they are very easy to adjust for a comfortable fit regardless of the minimal clamping. The clamping is probably a good thing with less pressure on the side of your head. To my tastes the styling of these headphones is on par with the B&W P7’s more contemporary styling. I think I like it more because of the retro design concept. I know I am probably going about this new headphone hobby, excuse my language, ass backwards as my music source is just my Galaxy S5 android phone which contains music from my cd collection that I uploaded to my computer using Windows Media. I am not even sure I am ripping them in the best format, I'm going to double check that. I think I checked WAV(lossless) for the Format because that showed the highest resolution.

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #183 of 624
A review from Headfonia is just out.
See http://www.headfonia.com/master-dynamic-mh40-boxing-hd600s/

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #184 of 624

Can't wait!! I heard both FSC and HP50 with my preference going to the FSC.

I got the Focal Spirit One yesterday and they do look nice with the dark gray and brushed aluminum color scheme although it appears to be mostly plastic which makes them fairly light. Once they are burned in a little I will compare them with the MH40's. I have been listening to the MH40's with a lot of different types of music and I am really enjoying the sound. They appear to have a very detailed yet also a very rich sound. The voices are very clear and the piano intro from Leon Russell's "A Song For You" really stood out to me along with how good the bass sounded in Madeline Peyroux's "Dance Me To The End Of Love" I have yet to do any comparisons but my initial impression is these sound pretty darn good.

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #185 of 624

I got the Focal Spirit One yesterday and they do look nice with the dark gray and brushed aluminum color scheme although it appears to be mostly plastic which makes them fairly light. Once they are burned in a little I will compare them with the MH40's. I have been listening to the MH40's with a lot of different types of music and I am really enjoying the sound. They appear to have a very detailed yet also a very rich sound. The voices are very clear and the piano intro from Leon Russell's "A Song For You" really stood out to me along with how good the bass sounded in Madeline Peyroux's "Dance Me To The End Of Love" I have yet to do any comparisons but my initial impression is these sound pretty darn good.

I'm assuming this is the One S? Take your time with those impressions!! 

Oct 14, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #186 of 624

I'm assuming this is the One S? Take your time with those impressions!! 

Yes it's the "S". I will do my best, just understand I am a relative newbie when it comes to headphones and my source is just my galaxy S5 android which I am sure could benefit from one of those mini dacs/amp that are out there for androids. I recently contacted Audio Quest, the manufacturer of the Dragon Fly, that works with your computer to ask about a similar device that I could use with my phone as well as my computer and they informed me that they will be introducing a new product in January that will do this. Interestingly they are calling it the Hummingbird no relation to the Dragonfly.

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #187 of 624

I believe I mentioned it before, the ear cups are not super big and if you have big ears, it would probably not feel fun at all. For example, I hated the m100s (never tried the XL cushions) but I don't have any problems with the MH40s (if that tells you anything...). Not sure if M&D will come up with new cushions (maybe?! I mean, the are easily removable so... who knows...) but don't count on that just in case.

What about the headband though? Is the padding of the headband enough? I have Focal Spirit Classic, even though they sounded amazing but the headband has barely any padding which is not very comfortable or good for long listening section.

Oct 18, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #188 of 624
The headband on the MH 40 doesn't have a lot of padding however the padding that's there is very soft. These actually do fit over my ears just barely and I would say I have average size ears, where the V-Moda M100's did not. The clamping is fairly light for me so I wind up adjusting the headband down on my head to make them fit more securely. So far I haven't had any comfort issues but I would hesitate to use these at the gym.

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #189 of 624
  The headband on the MH 40 doesn't have a lot of padding however the padding that's there is very soft. These actually do fit over my ears just barely and I would say I have average size ears, where the V-Moda M100's did not. The clamping is fairly light for me so I wind up adjusting the headband down on my head to make them fit more securely. So far I haven't had any comfort issues but I would hesitate to use these at the gym.

Thanks! As long as the headband doesn't press the top of my head it would be cool! At first I found Focal Spirit Classic was pressing the top of my head super hard that I can't even wear it for 10 minutes, but I found (actually this works for some other headphones too) it to be better after I squeeze the ear cups inwards a little, they are actually pretty well built even most of the parts are plastic.

I'll be getting my mh40 probably by next week, can post some comparison with the headphones I have :)

PS: I dont think any headphones, or at least over ear headphones should be used at a gym :) would it become kinda inconvenient when you lie down for a bench press? or getting shake out of the head while running? plus isn't the sweat very easy to damage the leather? or if it is velour, wouldn't it smell kinda bad after getting lots of sweat on? 

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #190 of 624
  Thanks! As long as the headband doesn't press the top of my head it would be cool! At first I found Focal Spirit Classic was pressing the top of my head super hard that I can't even wear it for 10 minutes, but I found (actually this works for some other headphones too) it to be better after I squeeze the ear cups inwards a little, they are actually pretty well built even most of the parts are plastic.

I'll be getting my mh40 probably by next week, can post some comparison with the headphones I have :)

PS: I dont think any headphones, or at least over ear headphones should be used at a gym :) would it become kinda inconvenient when you lie down for a bench press? or getting shake out of the head while running? plus isn't the sweat very easy to damage the leather? or if it is velour, wouldn't it smell kinda bad after getting lots of sweat on? 

Your right, I definitely would not use these at the gym; that being said they are much more portable than I imagined before I got them. Actually Focal's Spirit One S would travel well because they are very light, 80 grams less than the MH40's and have substantially more clamping than the MH 40's. By the way I put these on as I've been writing this and I do notice these at the top of my head more and could see where that would become bothersome. This could be because the padding on the Focals appear to extend out further than the MH40's. I have listened to the Focal's a few different times now and I think I may prefer these to my A-Audio Legacy's that were my current favorites, (noticed I am already using the past tense), and they are more portable and fit on my head better. Even though they don't go completely over my ears, nor did the Legacy's, they are close enough and with sufficient enough clamping that they really seal nicely over my ears which results in very good passive noise cancellation. This is a bit of negative for the MH40's as even though they go completely over my ears they don't perform nearly as well in that department. With the exception of how they fit trying to compare these two headphones is going to be tougher than I thought as my initial impressions are they are more alike than different. I hope to get a chance to do a lot more listening today.

Oct 19, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #191 of 624
Here are my impressions when comparing the MH40's and the Focal Spirit One S. Since looks/style and comfort/fit are more subjective and a personal thing I won't spend to much time on this, but I do have to say the MH40's are my favorite headphones to date when it comes to styling. I even preferred them over the B&W P7's which I felt looked very nice. As for the fit and comfort I have to say  this is a draw as for me they both had some positives and negatives.
Now to the sound: First let me just say that I liked both headphones very much and I am probably going to keep both and return the Legacy's back to Amazon which were more expensive than the Spirit One S. To begin with I tried to listen to a variety of music styles; jazz, country, pop & rock, for the comparison. Overall To me the MH40’s were more engaging with a richer texture to the music, to the point I found myself not wanting to take them off (reference Crayon’s post I’m completely addicted). They also exhibited more detail, as evidenced when listening to the beginning of Madeline Peyroux’s “Dance Me To The End Of Love “the brushes on the snare drum sounded more distinct where as with the Focal's they sounded a bit muffled and slightly masked by the standup bass. Also the voices appear to sound more forward with the MH40’s than they do on the Spirit One S and there was a couple of songs where the piano sounded fuller in comparison. I thought that both headphones had good dynamics and presented a sound field with nice width and depth better than all of my other headphones. Based on a professional review I read that compared the Focal Spirit One S, the Classic's along with the Nad HP50’s, It sounds like the Focal Classic’s might be more like the MH40’s and I imagine would make for a more interesting comparison. I would like to conclude that for the price and if If I hadn't listened to the MH40's, I would be very happy with the Spirit One S.

Oct 20, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #193 of 624
  Nice comparison.

Thanks!

I should be thanking you and the few other folks on this forum who bought these and had positive comments. Based on the headphones you have had experience with as well as the others it was obvious I had to audition these headphones and I'm glad I did. One other thing that I failed to mention was how I was able to differentiate the various instruments in a song from each other as opposed to them all blending together. I'm not sure of the proper adjective for this but, clear comes to mind.

Oct 20, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #194 of 624

I should be thanking you and the few other folks on this forum who bought these and had positive comments. Based on the headphones you have had experience with as well as the others it was obvious I had to audition these headphones and I'm glad I did. One other thing that I failed to mention was how I was able to delineate the various instruments in a song from each other as opposed to them all blending together. I'm not sure of the proper adjective for this but, clear comes to mind.

I personally call that imaging.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

(just in case... :wink:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back