Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone
Oct 4, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #151 of 624
I think the MH40 may have a similar quantity in the bass or a smidgen more with stronger punch. 

I see more and more people picking up the hd700. I have been really curious. I am just scared it wont be a big step up in imaging and soundstage from the hd650 which would make it not worth it to me.

Well back to the point. The MD PRO has a very even balance and less thickness in the midrange without being lush or recessed which makes it easier to enjoy longer. The MD PRO doesn't have more bass than the MD3.2 but its a smidgen faster and most t50 mods will best the MH40 in resolution in the bass. The soundstage of the MDPRO from faulty memory is bigger as well. The MH40 has a very smooth sound like the MAD DOG PRO if not more but is a ton better in attack and has better transient response. 

The MH40 bass isn't really overdone. The m100 has more bass for sure. Sometimes I want to bass boost the MH40. The m100 not the case. The M100 has more sibilance, is less comfortable, less mids (these cans are very different here), more highs, less refined, less detailed, but more impact just because of the quantity. The MH40 has a more focused punch.

The MH40 is a very rich and full sounding headphone that doesnt have a small soundstage nor a really huge one. Its balance is colored towards warm, and lush with some pretty good details and great attack.

They dont leak a whole lot but they arent the best at keeping sound in. I can name a dozen that do better and less that leak more. I dont know how to explain that part. They do okay. A lady at my job thought I was playing the music from my phones speaker. I was playing them fairly loud but I have yet to have that response from my other headphones. 

Oct 5, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #155 of 624
From what I'm reading, the T51p seems to have a very similar signature to the MH40. However, the comparison I'm really interested in is in the Focal Spirit Classic / MH40 comparison. I wonder if the sonic benefits the MH40 has over the FS Professional will retain versus the Spirit Classic.

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #156 of 624
  From what I'm reading, the T51p seems to have a very similar signature to the MH40. However, the comparison I'm really interested in is in the Focal Spirit Classic / MH40 comparison. I wonder if the sonic benefits the MH40 has over the FS Professional will retain versus the Spirit Classic.

I might be comparing the MH40's to the new Focal Spirit One S. The FS 1S was compared pretty favorably to the Classics by one professional reviewer giving a slight edge to the Classics. I have narrowed my headphone choice for home use to these two + the Nad HP 50's.

Oct 5, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #157 of 624

I might be comparing the MH40's to the new Focal Spirit One S. The FS 1S was compared pretty favorably to the Classics by one professional reviewer giving a slight edge to the Classics. I have narrowed my headphone choice for home use to these two + the Nad HP 50's.

Can't wait!! I heard both FSC and HP50 with my preference going to the FSC.

Oct 5, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #158 of 624
  I think the MH40 may have a similar quantity in the bass or a smidgen more with stronger punch. 

I see more and more people picking up the hd700. I have been really curious. I am just scared it wont be a big step up in imaging and soundstage from the hd650 which would make it not worth it to me.

Well back to the point. The MD PRO has a very even balance and less thickness in the midrange without being lush or recessed which makes it easier to enjoy longer. The MD PRO doesn't have more bass than the MD3.2 but its a smidgen faster and most t50 mods will best the MH40 in resolution in the bass. The soundstage of the MDPRO from faulty memory is bigger as well. The MH40 has a very smooth sound like the MAD DOG PRO if not more but is a ton better in attack and has better transient response. 

The MH40 bass isn't really overdone. The m100 has more bass for sure. Sometimes I want to bass boost the MH40. The m100 not the case. The M100 has more sibilance, is less comfortable, less mids (these cans are very different here), more highs, less refined, less detailed, but more impact just because of the quantity. The MH40 has a more focused punch.

The MH40 is a very rich and full sounding headphone that doesnt have a small soundstage nor a really huge one. Its balance is colored towards warm, and lush with some pretty good details and great attack.

They dont leak a whole lot but they arent the best at keeping sound in. I can name a dozen that do better and less that leak more. I dont know how to explain that part. They do okay. A lady at my job thought I was playing the music from my phones speaker. I was playing them fairly loud but I have yet to have that response from my other headphones. 

You can name a dozen closed back cans that sound better and leak less?
Do tell in that case, very interested. 
I've looked at everything from MrSpeaker, but they seem a tad too hard to drive, will be listening through an E17 at work, they're also a bit big and unmanagable, I want to be able to transport them between home and work without it being a big deal.
I've also looked at B&W P7, which certaintly looks nice, but it seems people think it's warm and too bassy, which is exactly what I'm trying to get away from. I think I'm looking for a closed back with a sound more in tone with the HD700's.

Oct 5, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #159 of 624

You can name a dozen closed back cans that sound better and leak less?
Do tell in that case, very interested. 
I've looked at everything from MrSpeaker, but they seem a tad too hard to drive, will be listening through an E17 at work, they're also a bit big and unmanagable, I want to be able to transport them between home and work without it being a big deal.
I've also looked at B&W P7, which certaintly looks nice, but it seems people think it's warm and too bassy, which is exactly what I'm trying to get away from. I think I'm looking for a closed back with a sound more in tone with the HD700's.

to quote myself:
"I can name a dozen that do better and less that leak more. I dont know how to explain that part."

I simply mean in the leakage department. Basically saying that these leak a little more than average. The hd8dj,german maestro 8.35d, vibro,zmf x v.1,akg k545,thinksound on1,pioneer hdj2000,sony mdr v700dj,hd380 pro,dt770,momentum and a few others do better at keeping the leakage in.

- These remind me of the fidelio l1 or sony mdr7520, yamaha hph mt220, or beats studio in terms of leakage. 

^that is all rough memory and since I am very picky with leakage because I dont like bleed into the microphone then I may be a bit shrewd here

The isolation is pretty good and it keeps noise out. There is some pressure thing going on in the cups where if you press on the cups and smoosh them in while listening the sound can drop almost to none. Pretty wierd.

In its price range I have a realllllly tough time naming a non t50rp mod that I like more. These are also easier to carry around and wayyy less amp dependent than any t50rp mod. 

Oct 5, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #160 of 624
to quote myself:
"I can name a dozen that do better and less that leak more. I dont know how to explain that part."

I simply mean in the leakage department. Basically saying that these leak a little more than average. The hd8dj,german maestro 8.35d, vibro,zmf x v.1,akg k545,thinksound on1,pioneer hdj2000,sony mdr v700dj,hd380 pro,dt770,momentum and a few others do better at keeping the leakage in.

- These remind me of the fidelio l1 or sony mdr7520, yamaha hph mt220, or beats studio in terms of leakage. 

^that is all rough memory and since I am very picky with leakage because I dont like bleed into the microphone then I may be a bit shrewd here

The isolation is pretty good and it keeps noise out. There is some pressure thing going on in the cups where if you press on the cups and smoosh them in while listening the sound can drop almost to none. Pretty wierd.

In its price range I have a realllllly tough time naming a non t50rp mod that I like more. These are also easier to carry around and wayyy less amp dependent than any t50rp mod. 

Have you heard the P7?
You have me intrigued on these but the leakage might be a problem.

Oct 5, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #161 of 624

to quote myself:

Have you heard the P7?
You have me intrigued on these but the leakage might be a problem.

yes I have heard the p7 briefly. I prefer these even from the listen I had. I find the leakage tolerable just not the best. I think having them next to the focal spirit makes it stand out. 

Oct 5, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #162 of 624
  yes I have heard the p7 briefly. I prefer these even from the listen I had. I find the leakage tolerable just not the best. I think having them next to the focal spirit makes it stand out. 

Is it a slight or big difference between these and the P7?
I want the P7 to be great because I can just walk into a hifistore tomorrow after work and pick them up, to get the MH40 I would have to order from the US and that would cost much more and take long to get here I guess. But if it's better it's worth it. 
Does it stand out next to the Focal Spirit because of the sound or is it just that the Focals doesn't leak much?

Oct 5, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #163 of 624

Is it a slight or big difference between these and the P7?
I want the P7 to be great because I can just walk into a hifistore tomorrow after work and pick them up, to get the MH40 I would have to order from the US and that would cost much more and take long to get here I guess. But if it's better it's worth it. 
Does it stand out next to the Focal Spirit because of the sound or is it just that the Focals doesn't leak much?

Focal leaks less. These are preferable sonically in some ways. 
The p7 is a stretch for my memory but these have some similarities. I think these mids are fuller and the bass punchier with the treble less in quantity. 

Oct 5, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #164 of 624
  Focal leaks less. These are preferable sonically in some ways. 
The p7 is a stretch for my memory but these have some similarities. I think these mids are fuller and the bass punchier with the treble less in quantity. 

Okay, thanks man. Might just audition the P7 anyways. :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back