Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone
Oct 6, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #168 of 624
His review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/master-dynamic-mh40/reviews/11691

:)

Oct 6, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #171 of 624

I see by your profile you have quite a collection of headphones. Are the Focal Spirit classics your favorite since you listed them first?

No, no. They are just the newest ones, the last ones I bought. A little soon to say much about them, but I am enjoying them quite a bit. 

Oct 6, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #172 of 624
  No, no. They are just the newest one, the last one I bought. A little soon to say much about them, but I am enjoying them quite a bit. 

These headphones received some great reviews and from the pictures they appear to look very nice with the Brown leather and  Bronze colored metal parts. I am actually going to be auditioning Focal's newest headphone the Spirit One S which are considerably less expensive than the Classic's and according to one review I read is almost on par with the Classic's giving a slight edge to the Classic's. I will also be getting the MH40 and will be deciding between the two as to which one I will keep. I have already exceeded my budget for headphones with the purchase of the A-Audio Legacy and the V-Moda 100's so I am hoping that the Focal's win out.

Oct 9, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #173 of 624
Although this is a new and small forum compared to some of the others, and I being a novice when it comes to the world of headphones, I want to thank the many more experienced contributors on this forum for teaching me a bit about the characteristic of different sounding headphones. This will be helpful when comparing the MH40 that will be arriving some time tomorrow and the new Focal Spirit One S probably by the middle of next week. I am actually exchanging for them as I sent back the PSB M4U2 since I wound up liking the A-1 Legacy's more for a number of reasons. It's active noise cancellation capabilities when used in combination with the bass boost mode (really should call it an Amp mode since it also boost the mids and highs), is better than the PSB's. However the most surprising reason is that, I preferred the sound in the passive mode to my other current headphones that I own, the V-Moda M-100's and the Sony MDRRBT-MK2. Anybody who is looking for a good ANC headphone that sounds good, this one should warrant strong consideration. I still do like the V-Moda's for it's portability and it's signature sound and the Sony for its wireless capabilities and AptX audio codec feature. Actually another surprise on the Sony's is how much I like listening to the Sony's in the wired mode. To me they are more neutral sounding that's very listenable to my ears with plenty of detail. The bass is not the quantity of the m-100's but is clean sounding with some punch. Also on the M100's the Mids/voices are bit laid back and not as forward and clear sounding as my A1's. I am really looking forward to listening to the MH 40's and also seeing how they look in person. Probably not fair to compare these to the much less expensive Focals but I found out that cost is not always justified, when I wound up returning the B&W P7's. However I will say that the P7's style wise and fit were my favorites to date and they sounded good just not enough to justify the additional cost of them over the one's I have. I do burn in my headphones before comparing them for around 20 to 25 hours. I am not saying I am in the camp that believes that this makes a difference, but more of a, just in case, precautionary reason. I will be glad to share my initial thoughts on these headphones by next weekend for anyone who is interested. I haven't completely eliminated the Nad Viso HP 50 since Sonic Defender mentioned that these should be on my short list, but I am hoping that one of these will be a keeper.

Oct 9, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #174 of 624

These headphones received some great reviews and from the pictures they appear to look very nice with the Brown leather and bronze colored metal parts. I am actually going to be auditioning Focal's newest headphone the Spirit One S which are considerably less expensive than the Classic's and according to one review I read is almost on par with the Classic's giving a slight edge to the Classic's. I will also be getting the MH40 and will be deciding between the two as to which one I will keep. I have already exceeded my budget for headphones with the purchase of the A-Audio Legacy and the V-Moda 100's so I am hoping that the Focal"s win out.

I am quite taken by the Focal Spirit Classic. Both in looks and sound. I loved the brown color and metal parts, they really made it, well, classic, or classy, should I say. The cons are the the leather is probably pleather, the cups are on-ear (not over-ear) for most people and in the top of the head there is more padding outside than inside. The sound is just beautiful and neutral but the FSC can go low if necessary and present in the record. I am really curious about the One S and even more so if Focal will one day make a open back headphone. 

Oct 9, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #175 of 624
Just curious, has anyone picked up the MH30?  There doesn't seem to be much at all out there on them aside from a little at the start of this thread.  I love the look and would consider picking up the leather and silver pair, but I really hope that someone has some experience with them.

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #176 of 624
  I am quite taken by the Focal Spirit Classic. Both in looks and sound. I loved the brown color and metal parts, they really made it, well, classic, or classy, should I say. The cons are the the leather is probably pleather, the cups are on-ear (not over-ear) for most people and in the top of the head there is more padding outside than inside. The sound is just beautiful and neutral but the FSC can go low if necessary and present in the record. I am really curious about the One S and even more so if Focal will one day make a open back headphone. 

The ear cup size was also the one complaint with the Focal Spirit One. Supposedly they made it larger in the One S saying it was more the size of the Classic. Based on what you said about ear cups of the Classic that probably means that they will not be fitting like an over ear on my ears. I had to get the XL ear cups for my V-Moda's which wound up being just right. I am hoping the MH40 will fit similar to the way the B&W P7's fit.

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #177 of 624
  Just curious, has anyone picked up the MH30?  There doesn't seem to be much at all out there on them aside from a little at the start of this thread.  I love the look and would consider picking up the leather and silver pair, but I really hope that someone has some experience with them.

Last time I checked they were still sold out.
I'd probably try them but have some others on my radar... :)

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #178 of 624
M&D seem to be very hush about them. I kinda wonder if they are having some production / quality issues with them as I have been checking their website since launch and they have never had any stock ready to ship.

Oct 11, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #179 of 624
I got these headphones yesterday and I am happy to report that they look just as good in person as they do from the pictures, although smaller than I expected. You can tell that there was a lot attention to detail in the design just from the cables, very nice with the silver color of the woven material and the connectors matching the color and overall industrial retro design of the headphones.The fit is very similar to my M-100's with the XL ear pads with not a lot of clamping pressure. Because of the minimal clamping pressure the headband comes in to play more for adjusting these so they sit comfortably on my head. I am not too impressed with the soft black canvas carry bag that it came with but that's about the only negative so far. Of course how these sound is most important and I want to try to get about 20 to 30 hours of burn in before I do some critical listening. I should be getting the Focal Spirit One S headphone by the middle of next week so I will be comparing it to them along with my other two cans.

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #180 of 624
The HP50's pads are square which make them bulkier, but the inside of the cups are about the same size as far as I can tell.

MH40 pad is on the right:

The HP50's pads are square which make them bulkier, but the inside of the cups are about the same size as far as I can tell.

MH40 pad is on the right:

Thanks, this picture really helps now that I have the MH40's and they do fit nicely around my ears, it looks like the Nad HP50's will also fit about the same. I do wish the MH40's had a little more clamping pressure. They have less clamping pressure than the V-Moda's and I thought they could have more. Just curious, how's the clamping pressure on the HP50 compared to the MH40?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back