Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone
Oct 4, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #137 of 624

which ones have more bass? I know which one hits harder but in qty alone?

Definitely the MH40.

I only ask because of this from CNET:
" The HP50 sounded a little richer on vocals and made more bass, the MH40 was more transparent and spacious."

What are your thoughts on this?..
"NAD's Viso HP50 quickly established itself as the $300 audiophile headphone to beat, and it didn't take long for the MH40 to prove itself a worthy adversary. The HP50 sounded a little richer on vocals and made more bass, the MH40 was more transparent and spacious. Really deep bass coursing through the "Gravity" soundtrack was taut and precise on the MH40. Both headphones have beautifully detailed treble, but the M40 is a little clearer. There's no definitive winner here; they're both excellent headphones."

I was surprised to read it being the clearer, more spacious hp as well, but that the bass was more on the hp50
confused_face(1).gif

~ Grizz

Oct 4, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #138 of 624
" The HP50 sounded a little richer on vocals and made more bass, the MH40 was more transparent and spacious."

"NAD's Viso HP50 quickly established itself as the $300 audiophile headphone to beat, and it didn't take long for the MH40 to prove itself a worthy adversary. The HP50 sounded a little richer on vocals and made more bass, the MH40 was more transparent and spacious. Really deep bass coursing through the "Gravity" soundtrack was taut and precise on the MH40. Both headphones have beautifully detailed treble, but the M40 is a little clearer. There's no definitive winner here; they're both excellent headphones."

I was surprised to read it being the clearer, more spacious hp as well, but that the bass was more on the hp50
confused_face(1).gif

~ Grizz

That has to be backwards, I have to EQ to get similar bass levels. 

Oct 4, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #139 of 624

confused_face(1).gif

~ Grizz

That has to be backwards, I have to EQ to get similar bass levels. 

right but what about the rest of the bold letters. 

Would you agree that the MH40 is more spacious and transparent?? or is that backwards as well. I would imagine the hp50 (though I have never heard it) to be more spacious and transparent.

Thanks!

Oct 4, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #140 of 624
Ok, that "Gravity" soundtrack has some serious deep bass and that bass is a bit tinny sounding to me on the HP50's. It's much more fun to listen to on the MH40's. That said, the Instruments in the soundtrack have better imaging and are more intimate sounding on the HP50's which I think is what they refer to as their room feel sound signature. Regardless, this soundtrack needs energy in the low end to be engaging, and the MH40's definitely win here.

I prefer classical music with the HP50's. Listening to Piano Guys, "All of Me",  and the HP50's really shine here.
Anyway, I'm not sure where I was going with this post anymore! I guess just a few random thoughts after reading the CNET review.
gs1000.gif

Oct 4, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #141 of 624

Would you agree that the MH40 is more spacious and transparent?? or is that backwards as well. I would imagine the hp50 (though I have never heard it) to be more spacious and transparent.

Thanks!

I hear what I can best describe as less reverberation in instruments and piano notes on the HP50's compared to the MH40, and so the HP50 is definitely more transparent and clear sounding to me in that regard, and the HP50's clarity is fairly noticeable to me listening to "The Piano Guys".  

I can't really relate any of this to spaciousness though. Even with the clarity and reverberation differences, everything seems fairly close to me. I wonder if that's common or maybe I need more reference music.

Oh, and vocals should definitely be richer on the MH40's, I'll compare properly tomorrow, but the reason I love the MH40's are because of their rich, luscious sounding mids!

Oct 4, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #142 of 624
I hear what I can best describe as less reverberation in instruments and piano notes on the HP50's compared to the MH40, and so the HP50 is definitely more transparent and clear sounding to me in that regard, and the HP50's clarity is fairly noticeable to me listening to "The Piano Guys".  

I can't really relate any of this to spaciousness though. Even with the clarity and reverberation differences, everything seems fairly close to me. I wonder if that's common or maybe I need more reference music.

Oh, and vocals should definitely be richer on the MH40's, I'll compare properly tomorrow, but the reason I love the MH40's are because of their rich, luscious sounding mids!

I have also been thinking about getting the new Focal Spirit One S from Amazon to compare with the MH40's. Has anyone had a chance to listen to the new Focal Spirit One S? It has only two reviews that I could find both being positive with one comparing it favorably to the Sprit Classic which is much more expensive. It also has a nice look to them and has a cable remote that works with Android phones.

Oct 4, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #143 of 624
How is the leakage and isolation on these? I would be using them in a quiet office and I wouldn't really want to disturb people nor hear them.
I'm looking at either these or the Mad Dogs/pro/Alpha dogs at the moment.

Oct 4, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #144 of 624

I have also been thinking about getting the new Focal Spirit One S from Amazon to compare with the MH40's. Has anyone had a chance to listen to the new Focal Spirit One S? It has only two reviews that I could find both being positive with one comparing it favorably to the Sprit Classic which is much more expensive. It also has a nice look to them and has a cable remote that works with Android phones.

popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #146 of 624
  How is the leakage and isolation on these? I would be using them in a quiet office and I wouldn't really want to disturb people nor hear them.
I'm looking at either these or the Mad Dogs/pro/Alpha dogs at the moment.

honestly the alpha dogs or mad dog pros would leak less. I would honestly say these aren't better than the mad dog pros but do have a more addicting sound to them. The leakage on these is a okay but not the best or worst. 

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #147 of 624

Thanks!

thanks for the response. These have a fairly detailed sound. The clarity miss is purely in the balance because its mids are a little too thick next to the bass hump as well as it needing a little boost in its treble hole. It is hard for people to notice good soundstage on a midcentric headphone like this but in actuality it has a really good soundstage. What is good about this headphone is the timbre, smoothness, punch, lack of grain and grittiness. I am past my honey moon stage and don't find it to be my favorite under 500 any more but pretty close. I still prefer it to the Focal Spirit Professional and found this to have as good of imaging, better space and tones and punch but its a lot more engaging. Even though I have never heard the above I believe it to be mostly a typo based on my experience with these.

Oct 4, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #148 of 624
  thanks for the response. These have a fairly detailed sound. The clarity miss is purely in the balance because its mids are a little too thick next to the bass hump as well as it needing a little boost in its treble hole. It is hard for people to notice good soundstage on a midcentric headphone like this but in actuality it has a really good soundstage. What is good about this headphone is the timbre, smoothness, punch, lack of grain and grittiness. I am past my honey moon stage and don't find it to be my favorite under 500 any more but pretty close. I still prefer it to the Focal Spirit Professional and found this to have as good of imaging, better space and tones and punch but its a lot more engaging. Even though I have never heard the above I believe it to be mostly a typo based on my experience with these.

Grizz, exactly, i think it's a typo as well! And definitely +1 regarding timbre, smoothness, et all.  At some point I'll get my hands on the Focal Spirit Pro's to audition. Also, I can't imagine letting go of these anytime soon, so I'm curious as to what your favorites are under 500?

Oct 4, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #150 of 624
I think I like the mad dog pro a little better. But for a can I can take around these are great. They leak a little but they isolate well.

Would you mind defining "A little" ? 
If we compare it with a can like, say, the V-Moda M100?
Is the MH40 bassier than the Mad Dog Pro or less bassy? 
I feel like I'm leaning away from bass as opposed to my likings a couple of years ago. 
I think the bass on the HD700 is just about perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back