Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone
Sep 27, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #121 of 624

Thanks for your response. So they are just referred to as the M-100's. Most of the literature on there website still shows them as the Crossfade M-100's as does Amazon where I bought them because of their price. I see from reading on this forum that you have these headphones. How do you like them? I actually kept them over the B&W P7's even though the P7's fit better and went completely over my ears forming a better seal providing better passive noise isolation. I did like the styling and looks of the P7's though. I just ordered the M-100's XL ear cups from there website, hoping that will make them fit over my ears better. Lately I have been on a mad search for some over ear headphones that sound and look good for use mainly at my gym and at home when working on the computer, that is how I came to find this forum. I have decided to get 2 one for the gym and one for the home. I'm not a big fan of active noise cancellation but the gym I go to is very noisy so it's useful there. So far I have narrowed it down to the M-100's for the home and they are still portable enough for the gym and It's between the PSB M4U-2 and A-Audio's Legacy HD these both have ANC but also have a passive listening mode (w/o ANC) and also an amp mode. I am leaning toward the Legacy's because to my ears they sound as good, are less expensive and to my eyes look good. The M4U-2's are heavier and look way too big on my head, but they do sound very good in all three modes. I am definitely interested though in these MH40's and will be ordering them in the brown and silver from there web-site as soon as they are available and am hoping they sound as good as they look. Also hoping they fit like the B&W P7's as they seem to have the same size and shape ear pads.

Sep 27, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #122 of 624
@mikcans, for home the NAD HP 50 should be on your short list, and the new tuning of the ATH M50x sounds like a viable option as well. I was shocked recently when I picked up an ATH M40x for use at home for cardio. They sound really quite good, certainly a great value for the price. The bass is slightly too emphasized, and a little congested, but not enough to really be an issue, and as mentioned, for the price very surprising performance. On both my portable and home rig I have to say I think the overall tuning is quite good and the M50x is supposed to be even more engaging. Just a thought. I am going to get an MH40 early next year I think as I like to hear what new players bring to the table and the looks are excellent in my books. 

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #123 of 624
  @mikcans, for home the NAD HP 50 should be on your short list, and the new tuning of the ATH M50x sounds like a viable option as well. I was shocked recently when I picked up an ATH M40x for use at home for cardio. They sound really quite good, certainly a great value for the price. The bass is slightly too emphasized, and a little congested, but not enough to really be an issue, and as mentioned, for the price very surprising performance. On both my portable and home rig I have to say I think the overall tuning is quite good and the M50x is supposed to be even more engaging. Just a thought. I am going to get an MH40 early next year I think as I like to hear what new players bring to the table and the looks are excellent in my books. 

I was thinking about auditioning the ATH M50x's as they certainly have many favorable reviews on Amazon and elsewhere and are very reasonably priced. I especially like the looks of the steel blue and brown color and the way they fold up like the V-Moda M-100's. I believe they swivel as well so they can lay flat around your neck when you are not listening to them. The NAD HP 50's also seem to be a favorite with many but the headband on them seemed a little wide, but I guess if you were going to use them at home what does that matter. Have you had a chance to checkout the A-Audio Legacy headphones? They won the best in show award at the 2014 CE Week. As I mentioned I am not a big fan of ANC but these sounded very good to my ears in the passive mode (no ANC or batteries needed) and have a bass boost mode as well which really should be labeled as an Amp mode.

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #124 of 624

I was thinking about auditioning the ATH M50x's as they certainly have many favorable reviews on Amazon and elsewhere and are very reasonably priced. I especially like the looks of the steel blue and brown color and the way they fold up like the V-Moda M-100's. I believe they swivel as well so they can lay flat around your neck when you are not listening to them. The NAD HP 50's also seem to be a favorite with many but the headband on them seemed a little wide, but I guess if you were going to use them at home what does that matter. Have you had a chance to checkout the A-Audio Legacy headphones? They won the best in show award at the 2014 CE Week. As I mentioned I am not a big fan of ANC but these sounded vey good to my ears in the passive mode (no ANC or batteries needed) and have a bass boost mode as well which really should be labeled as an Amp mode.

Sorry, haven't heard the A-Audio headphone yet, but I hope to. In general I don't like noise cancelling either and I don't need it as I do tend to listen at moderate to high volumes so even with my bus commute rides background noise isn't an issue. If you can I would check out the M50x and yes the NAD is goofy looking, but sounds really quite good and there are a few being sold used here so if you want to take a chance there is no need to pay full retail on them. The cable with the NAD is so short (mainly why I sold mine), but you can get Monoprice cables that are 10 feet long, sound as good and are under $15. Cheers.

Sep 29, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #126 of 624
  @gelocks or anyone else who's auditioned the Shure 1540's, how do the MH40's compare? Damn, these are some fine looking cans! Is it time to put the Shure's up for sale?

Cheers!

Hello.
I no longer have the 1540s so this will have to go by memory which isn't always the best way to go. :)
I do think that the Shure's have the MH40s beat in imaging and sound separation. I just like the way the 1540s and Alpha Dogs perform in that regard. The 1540s also have more "heft" in the bass, especially mid-bass and it actually intrudes a bit into the lower mids. Both are not the best at "control" on the low frequencies but I feel that the MH40s do a tad better. Shure highs sounded a bit muted to me as well with warm mids (lovely though). MH40s are a bit brighter overall and a bit more aggressive/punchier. Shure's are more comfortable, but leak a bit of sound. Isolation is on par.

If you have the opportunity to try both, please do, their sound is a wee different and if you love the 1540s you might actually not like the MH40s as much... but I do think that BOTH have a "fun" sound signature is just that the 1540s are more "safe" in the mids to highs region...

Still, right at this moment, if I'd have to choose one of these two, I'd probably stick with the MH40s. But that's all preference and stuff... :p

Sep 29, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #127 of 624

Hello.
I no longer have the 1540s so this will have to go by memory which isn't always the best way to go. :)
I do think that the Shure's have the MH40s beat in imaging and sound separation. I just like the way the 1540s and Alpha Dogs perform in that regard. The 1540s also have more "heft" in the bass, especially mid-bass and it actually intrudes a bit into the lower mids. Both are not the best at "control" on the low frequencies but I feel that the MH40s do a tad better. Shure highs sounded a bit muted to me as well with warm mids (lovely though). MH40s are a bit brighter overall and a bit more aggressive/punchier. Shure's are more comfortable, but leak a bit of sound. Isolation is on par.

If you have the opportunity to try both, please do, their sound is a wee different and if you love the 1540s you might actually not like the MH40s as much... but I do think that BOTH have a "fun" sound signature is just that the 1540s are more "safe" in the mids to highs region...

Still, right at this moment, if I'd have to choose one of these two, I'd probably stick with the MH40s. But that's all preference and stuff... :p

Thanks for the quick comparison, gelocks. Honestly, I'm struggling with the Shure's. Sometimes I listen to them and think they're amazing cans. Other times, I'm super disappointed with my purchase. Also, I wear glasses during my listening sessions and I find that the Shure's really suffer from a poor seal while wearing them. It's an issue in general, but the Shure's are some of the worst I've ever experienced. I think it has to do with the minimal clamping force. I've tried bending the headband to find a better fit, but nothing has worked so far. It's a shame because the cans are beautiful and can sound good. Ah, these first world problems! I do feel a change in my setup is about to happen. :) 

Thanks, again. 

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #128 of 624
I got the xl ear pads for my V-Moda M-100's and even though the you tube video was helpful, putting on the xl ear pads was a lot easier than removing the one's that it came with. They turned out to be as I expected, along with being considerably deeper they were also a little bit larger so they now fit perfectly over my ears. I am now even more glad that I kept these over the B&W P7's. I just didn't think there was that much improvement in the audio quality to justify keeping them especially since I mainly use headphones at the gym. My absolute favorite headphones though for the gym is the A-Audio Legacy's because of the ANC and the Bass boost mode (this mode also engages the ANC). The Bass Boost Mode should really be called Amp Mode, this is also what many of the reviews say about that Mode as it doesn't just increase the bass but also the mids and highs. In this mode of listening I pretty much don't hear any noise and can better hear the music. I would recommend these headphones to anybody who wants some headphones they can listen to in a noisy environment. I have a pretty decent home audio set-up so I generally listen to music that way when I'm home. I will admit on occasion though I do like to listen to headphones when I am working in my office on the computer and there's occasions where I don't want to bother with my sound system which is why I am still looking for some good sounding headphones for home use. I still haven't heard from Master & Dynamics web-site about the brown and silver being in stock but in the interim I may take Sonic's advice and audition the Nad Viso HP50 and the Audio Technica's M50X. I wish the M50X's came with a remote on one of the cable's it comes with, but that's not a deal breaker especially if they sound as good as the tons of reviews claim. I have a feeling that I might not like the looks of the Nad's and more importantly from what I have read they may not fit on my ears very good. Honestly even though I returned the P7's back to BB to me they were the classiest looking and had the best fit of all my current headphones. My Sony Bluetooth MDR1RB-MK2's come pretty close though.

Sep 29, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #129 of 624
  I got the xl ear pads for my V-Moda M-100's and even though the you tube video was helpful, putting on the xl ear pads was a lot easier than removing the one's that it came with. They turned out to be as I expected, along with being considerably deeper they were also a little bit larger so they now fit perfectly over my ears. I am now even more glad that I kept these over the B&W P7's. I just didn't think there was that much improvement in the audio quality to justify keeping them especially since I mainly use headphones at the gym. My absolute favorite headphones though for the gym is the A-Audio Legacy's because of the ANC and the Bass boost mode (this mode also engages the ANC). The Bass Boost Mode should really be called Amp Mode, this is also what many of the reviews say about that Mode as it doesn't just increase the bass but also the mids and highs. In this mode of listening I pretty much don't hear any noise and can better hear the music. I would recommend these headphones to anybody who wants some headphones they can listen to in a noisy environment. I have a pretty decent home audio set-up so I generally listen to music that way when I'm home. I will admit on occasion though I do like to listen to headphones when I am working in my office on the computer and there's occasions where I don't want to bother with my sound system which is why I am still looking for some good sounding headphones for home use. I still haven't heard from Master & Dynamics web-site about the brown and silver being in stock but in the interim I may take Sonic's advice and audition the Nad Viso HP50 and the Audio Technica's M50X. I wish the M50X's came with a remote on one of the cable's it comes with, but that's not a deal breaker especially if they sound as good as the tons of reviews claim. I have a feeling that I might not like the looks of the Nad's and more importantly from what I have read they may not fit on my ears very good. Honestly even though I returned the P7's back to BB to me they were the classiest looking and had the best fit of all my current headphones. My Sony Bluetooth MDR1RB-MK2's come pretty close though.

The NADs appearance are confusing, I think the perception depends on where you use them. At home, I felt they looked sharp and kind of cool; however, in public I became self-conscious. I have seen some NADs selling used here for good prices and I would certainly say let their sound be your guide if they are for home use.

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #130 of 624

The NADs appearance are confusing, I think the perception depends on where you use them. At home, I felt they looked sharp and kind of cool; however, in public I became self-conscious. I have seen some NADs selling used here for good prices and I would certainly say let their sound be your guide if they are for home use.

Point well taken. I do just want these for home use as I do have a couple that I like for the gym, the A-Audio Legacy's (ANC and Amp Mode, which also uses the ANC) and the V-Moda's and now with the new XL ear cups at least give me better passive noise isolation and I like there portability. Like you inferred it's the audio quality that should take precedence. I am looking to get something that would be on the more balanced and on the neutral side with the sound not colored toward the lows and highs probably like my V-Moda 100's. I am still trying to understand the audio from the Legacy's, seem to be more in your face but still fairly well balanced and on point with a decent sound stage as I being a newbie would perceive for an over the ear headphone. Certainly not the wide and deep soundstage I get when I am listening to my home system. Anyway because they are definitely a little on the heavy side with a design that initially to me seemed to be a bit to glitzy, might be best suited for those long plane trips rather than the gym. I do find myself reaching for the cleaning cloth they came with to clean the fingermarks from all that chrome. To get back on topic, I am looking forward to getting the MH40's in the brown and silver color and will probably  be comparing the audio to the HP 50's and the M50xbl. The BL model just because I like the color scheme. Ok enough obsessing about headphones!     

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #131 of 624

Point well taken. I do just want these for home use as I do have a couple that I like for the gym, the A-Audio Legacy's (ANC and Amp Mode, which also uses the ANC) and the V-Moda's and now with the new XL ear cups at least give me better passive noise isolation and I like there portability. Like you inferred it's the audio quality that should take precedence. I am looking to get something that would be on the more balanced and on the neutral side with the sound not colored toward the lows and highs probably like my V-Moda 100's. I am still trying to understand the audio from the Legacy's, seem to be more in your face but still fairly well balanced and on point with a decent sound stage as I being a newbie would perceive for an over the ear headphone. Certainly not the wide and deep soundstage I get when I am listening to my home system. Anyway because they are definitely a little on the heavy side with a design that initially to me seemed to be a bit to glitzy, might be best suited for those long plane trips rather than the gym. I do find myself reaching for the cleaning cloth they came with to clean the fingermarks from all that chrome. To get back on topic, I am looking forward to getting the MH40's in the brown and silver color and will probably  be comparing the audio to the HP 50's and the M50xbl. The BL model just because I like the color scheme. Ok enough obsessing about headphones!     

All worthy of  audition! The VModa M100 was my replacement headphone for some abused Beats HP's, and it was the first heaphone I bought after deciding to get a well reviewed HP.  Shortly thereafter, seeking a more neutral sound, I ended up with the NAD HP 50's. They are awesome! In a league of their own i think.   I also have the MH40's and I think my headphone collection is going to be just these two HP's

Oct 3, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #132 of 624

All worthy of  audition! The VModa M100 was my replacement headphone for some abused Beats HP's, and it was the first heaphone I bought after deciding to get a well reviewed HP.  Shortly thereafter, seeking a more neutral sound, I ended up with the NAD HP 50's. They are awesome! In a league of their own i think.   I also have the MH40's and I think my headphone collection is going to be just these two HP's

Well, many think that after their first purchases :wink:
Nevertheless enjoy your new toys. The HP50 is excellent... and I'm interested in the MH40s as well.

Oct 3, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #133 of 624

With already owning the V-Moda M100 and the A1 legacy HD Headphones both of which I use alternately at the gym, I am allowing myself one more which I will be using at home And it will be between the MH40 or the HP 50's. I am waiting for the M&D website to get them in the brown and silver since they offer free delivery + free delivery back within 30 days if I am not happy with them. Amazon has the same terms with the Nad. I am a little concerned about how the HP 50's are going to fit on my ears since I had to get the xl ear pads for M-100's so they would fit completely around my ear. Since you have both of these which one has the larger ear cups? I have a feeling the MH 40's are going to fit me better. I hope they also sound at least as good as the HP 50's and if so I would keep them because I like the way they look better maybe on par with the B&W P7's. 

Oct 4, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #134 of 624
 With already owning the V-Moda M100 and the A1 legacy HD Headphones both of which I use alternately at the gym, I am allowing myself one more which I will be using at home And it will be between the MH40 or the HP 50's. I am waiting for the M&D website to get them in the brown and silver since they offer free delivery + free delivery back within 30 days if I am not happy with them. Amazon has the same terms with the Nad. I am a little concerned about how the HP 50's are going to fit on my ears since I had to get the xl ear pads for M-100's so they would fit completely around my ear. Since you have both of these which one has the larger ear cups? I have a feeling the MH 40's are going to fit me better. I hope they also sound at least as good as the HP 50's and if so I would keep them because I like the way they look better maybe on par with the B&W P7's. 

The HP50's pads are square which make them bulkier, but the inside of the cups are about the same size as far as I can tell.

MH40 pad is on the right:

Oct 4, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #135 of 624

The HP50's pads are square which make them bulkier, but the inside of the cups are about the same size as far as I can tell.

MH40 pad is on the right:

which ones have more bass? I know which one hits harder but in qty alone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back