Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone
Aug 1, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #31 of 624
Just received an email...

Due to an unexpected delay in receiving our shipment, your headphones will go out early next week. We very much apologize for this.  
As a thank you, we've decided to include a free headphone stand with your order (http://mdyn.co/WeYnRN).

You'll receive an automated email with tracking info once your item ships. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me with any questions.

Thanks again

See, easy comms! That's all I wanted/needed :)

Aug 1, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #32 of 624
They want $60 for that?

Aug 1, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #33 of 624
LOL...I was thinking the same thing.  Free is pretty darn good, though.

Can't wait to hear what the buyers think of the cans.  Hopefully lots of pics posted too.  They're beauts.

biggrin.gif

HS

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #34 of 624
I had a listen to the M&Ds yesterday at Stereo Exchange in NYC. They have them set-up in the middle listening area with a pretty cool tube amp that looks like it was probably made for them. The fit and finish of the phones are awesome and nicer than most anything I have seen lately. They just feel really solid. For sound quality I would say they sounded great but more leaning towards fun rather than reference. All in all a really nice set of headphones that I would say sounded more like my Grados than my HD600s.

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #35 of 624
I swung by StereoExchange and picked up a pair of the MH40's today. They look really nice, and they're packed pretty nicely too. I'll try to post pics later today.

These definitely sound different than they did when they were hooked up to an ALO tube amp. They're tuned to be warmer in the midrange. I'm powering these cans through my 13" MBP, and they The only other headphones I can compare to right now are the MadDogs, which I have on hand. They're less neutral all-around. The bass isn't quite as fast, but I guess that's expected. I was hoping for a little more "oomf" in the lower mids, but I'm going to let these burn in for 25-50 hours before I make any further comments. In general, they look great and are pretty comfortable. I'm interested in hearing comments from you guys in the weeks to come... I'll try to get a review up sometime in the next 30 days too.

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #36 of 624
Well... I can say that these are very fun headphones indeed... They arrived a few hours ago at home (finally). Some pics from my cell...

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #37 of 624
Got mine today too! I had like five minutes to use them because I had to go somewhere else, but so far, they aren't bad. I did notice these have some driver flex though, which may be a serious issue.

The pads smell and feel like the Alpha Dog leather, which I'm not a big fan of, and I think the headband is corrected grain stuff.

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #38 of 624
What do you mean driver flex?!?
As in IEMs??
Are you pressing the cups against your ears or something?

Aug 7, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #39 of 624
Yeah, and no, they sound crinkly when I just put them on my head, which is weird.

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #40 of 624
It's been over a week since I demoed them at Stereo Exchange, but I didn't notice any crinkling sounds with the demo units. I did have trouble getting both the MH40 and MH30 to sit and seal on my ears properly. Like I said in my initial post about the MH40, they felt more comfortable to me worn backwards. No driver flex, though.

Aug 7, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #41 of 624
Yeah, and no, they sound crinkly when I just put them on my head, which is weird.

The most likely is driver flex...  I get that with a lot of headphones actually :p  Though they generally only "click", sometimes I get crinkles with specific headphones.  

Aug 7, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #42 of 624
I wouldn't normally mind but it affects sound on occasion so that may be a problem

Aug 7, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #43 of 624
Interesting.
I haven't heard anything that makes me scream "arrrghhh driver flex" with these...

Very Initial Impressions

Even though they have a mostly metal construction, they feel light and are comfortable.
Earpads could be a tad bigger. I don't have big ears and I'm almost at the point where the headphones might be problematic. So people with big ears are probably going to have an issue with these. Could use more padding up top.
PLAINLY LOVE the magnetized ear pads! More companies should adopt this method of attaching earpads.
Construction feels excellent but, ugh, I hate exposed cables...
From packaging to product, it would seem as if Master Dynamic's been in the business for a while... definitely excellent job (kind of like V-Moda on this aspect a lot of attention to detail).

Pleasant sounding headphones.
As a whole they somehow remind me of the Onkyo ES-CTI300 in both looks (MH40s are WAY better constructed though) and sound.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/689157/does-onkyo-make-good-headphones#post_10291674

Sub-bass is not as strong (as I like), but does bass well overall (these headphones like Hip Hop really...). I do find them a bit congested in the mids, and it seems there's a dip somewhere there as the crunch of guitars and some male vocals sound a bit "off" to me. They are definitely NOT harsh up top (good!) and provide enough clarity to make them stand out a bit from lower priced options. But just like the Onkyos, a very enjoyable sound which can be fun and not super aggressive but never laidback either! Thing is though, that nothing in the sound is really standing out to me at the moment. Probably good for some though since you can just get lost in the music but I expected something to grab me and pull me in...

Isolation is not the best in the world and it seems a bit of sound actually comes out... not semi-closed style leakage at all, but just a hair...

That's it for my initial impressions.
I'll keep using them this week and the next and see if anything changes.

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #45 of 624
http://www.cnet.com/au/news/move-over-beats-master-dynamics-mh40-headphones-win-on-quality/

"NAD's Viso HP50 quickly established itself as the $300 audiophile headphone to beat, and it didn't take long for the MH40 to prove itself a worthy adversary. The HP50 sounded a little richer on vocals and made more bass, the MH40 was more transparent and spacious. Really deep bass coursing through the "Gravity" soundtrack was taut and precise on the MH40. Both headphones have beautifully detailed treble, but the M40 is a little clearer. There's no definitive winner here; they're both excellent headphones." - Steve Guttenberg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back