Master Clock Talk
Jun 16, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #1,996 of 3,397
Yes, I agree with you, but the equipment produced now, especially in China, has mostly 50 ohm clock inputs.

That's hifi gear. Pro audio remains with 75 ohm for the last 40 some odd years.

In my opinion, if someone sells a standard clock with 50 ohm settings, there should also be 50 ohm sockets for logic.
Kingwa definitely uses 50 ohm sockets as standard, unless someone requests otherwise.

I agree with you, I was disappointed in the OCK clocks. I was going to buy one for a secondary system but after clarifying that and learning they were not willing to do a custom order, I decided not to buy it.

Jun 16, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #1,997 of 3,397
OCK-2 sockets are all 50 ohms sockets. It is configurable to 75 ohms, but the sockets are all 50 ohms format socket.

Direct quote from Alvin:

"Yes, it's possible to customize the OCK-1 output impedance internally. The BNC connectors are 75ohms and compatible with 50ohms connector. It works fine for both 50/75ohms connector."

Post a pic of your unit if you can. Who knows if they changed something after my email discussion in December 22.

Jun 16, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #1,998 of 3,397
Direct quote from Alvin:

"Yes, it's possible to customize the OCK-1 output impedance internally. The BNC connectors are 75ohms and compatible with 50ohms connector. It works fine for both 50/75ohms connector."

Post a pic of your unit if you can. Who knows if they changed something after my email discussion in December 22.
”it works fine”, ”-115dBc/1Hz” and other facts from LHY…

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #2,000 of 3,397
I have to admit that the Telegartner cable is quite good, the first listening session left quite a good impression.
In my free time, I also made the 75 ohm CL2 cable proposed here on the forum.
Although the cable is quite well built, because it has a double copper shield + aluminum foil, the copper used is, in my opinion, of very poor quality. It doesn't even look like OFC copper, there is a dirty tarnish on it. We'll see, but I don't think you should expect miracles from this cable.
I will end with this cable, unless I get Neotech nevd-1001, I will make cables on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20230617_144252.jpg
    IMG_20230617_144252.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Jun 17, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #2,001 of 3,397
So besides lying/removing/hiding their clock measurements LHY also has a direct impedance mismatch for 50ohm settings. You guys are spending hundreds on 50ohm cables only to hook it up to a 75ohm connector.
Granted this only matters with square wave, but this clock is really a piece of garbage.

Jun 17, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #2,002 of 3,397
So besides lying/removing/hiding their clock measurements LHY also has a direct impedance mismatch for 50ohm settings. You guys are spending hundreds on 50ohm cables only to hook it up to a 75ohm connector.
Granted this only matters with square wave, but this clock is really a piece of garbage.
Did you sell yours?

Jun 17, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #2,003 of 3,397
I think you win the title of the Player Hater of Headfi.org.

Have you even tried the Ock-2?

Attachments

• Hater.png
    Hater.png
    672.5 KB · Views: 0
Jun 17, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #2,006 of 3,397
I just hate companies that lie and cheat their customers.
What audio equipment do you buy without seeing measurements?
Especially ones on a device that is based on accuracy.That’s absolute bonkers!
Would only be 'cheating' if the device degraded sound quality or was a placebo.

That's not the case (at least for me), or I would have returned it within the 30-day return period.
OCk-2 offers tightened sound imaging and more micro dynamics for ~500usd. Yes, please.

If you don't want to take a risk and have the possibility of losing the silicon lottery and the hassle of return that's fine.
Something more high-end with guaranteed measurements would cost significantly more.

Calling it garbage without even trying it makes you a Hater.

Jun 17, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #2,007 of 3,397
No. I would never buy a clock that doesn’t have measurements.
Well then you are one lucky man, cause I´m testing my whole setup with and without master clock and DDC etc. everything. Upgrading cables and stuff.

Imagine the music is playing with in a "frame", lets call it a square frame. The soundstage is in this frame.

Just connecting it to my R8HEmk2 witout DDC as the first test, it removed this "frame" and tightened up the high frequencies. The music is spinning freely.

Its obvious the R8 is rolling on another timing with the OCK-2. It is tight af, but not in a dS way. Its like the R8 gets injected with "steroids" it lifts the performance. Clarity boost.

In this test ock-2 is connected with a cheap Canare BNC cable to the Afterdark CG X1. Which will be replaced by a better. Tommorow I will also be connecting the DDC to the clock with exact same cable(Supra Trico)

My reference track for life is this: If you listening close to the depth of the "ocean" - you will notice as you improve your system, hear the harmonic phrases deep into the mix/ocean, its like a discovery everytime my system gets a "lift". This is what my OCK-2 improves for me. Im saving up for better BNC cables. the Supra Trico is pretty good entry, I felt in love with my system after trying a couple of other DACs

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #2,008 of 3,397
o
Would only be 'cheating' if the device degraded sound quality or was a placebo.

That's not the case (at least for me), or I would have returned it within the 30-day return period.
OCk-2 offers tightened sound imaging and more micro dynamics for ~500usd. Yes, please.

If you don't want to take a risk and have the possibility of losing the silicon lottery and the hassle of return that's fine.
Something more high-end with guaranteed measurements would cost significantly more.

Calling it garbage without even trying it makes you a Hater.
I will always be a”hater” then of devices that ask me to “play silicon lottery” with my expensive gear that actually can back up their product and claims.
Yes clocks are expensive for a reason.
A $500 clock is not something I would ever think of as an upgrade.
McDonald’s might taste good but it’s garbage food.

The OCK 2 offers zero performance measurements and an immediate 50ohm impedance mismatch. I’ll keep my $500 in my pocket if that’s what they are selling! Lol

Jun 17, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #2,009 of 3,397
Well then you are one lucky man,
It’s not luck, it’s logic.
Did you buy your speakers without knowing if they were 4 ohm or 8ohm?
Did you build your streamer after reaching in to the random parts bin to play “silicon lottery”?
Send me $500 and I’ll send you a device with zero measurements, but I promise it will make your system sound great.

Jun 17, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #2,010 of 3,397
It’s not luck, it’s logic.
Did you buy your speakers without knowing if they were 4 ohm or 8ohm?
Did you build your streamer after reaching in to the random parts bin to play “silicon lottery”?
Send me $500 and I’ll send you a device with zero measurements, but I promise it will make your system sound great.
So you haven't heard the ock2 clock but you hate it because you say it has poor measurements.

Do you have links to these measurements and the measurements of comparable devices from a 3rd party source? Just out of curiosity, whic particular metric measures poorly and what does it sound like ?

Send me this device and I'll verify your claim, I don't need measurements, thats what ears are for.

What specifically are you referring to with the silicon lottery? Because we are not overclocking anything here, the silicon is built to meet a specific standard, if you push it past that standard then the silicon lottery comes into play. I think you're confusing different things here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back