Master Clock Talk
Apr 25, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #1,621 of 3,353
I am sure serious sources of OCXO's for let say LHY keep the delivered units (clocks) in spec.
Yeah, so they should just post the specs given by their suppliers.

What if consumers would know where parts are from... what that stuff costs and is sold for...

A cybershaft clock besides a RH7 HE, now don't tell me it takes so much R&D or production time for that masterclock to cost even more... it sure can't be those many many or extremely expensive parts...

Apr 25, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #1,623 of 3,353
But I found a measurement result of OCK1 is lower than -100dBz/1hz from another forum, those guys informed Jay's Audio boss about this, then Jay's Audio removed the measurement result from LHY Taobao shop. Because of this result, I aborted to order OCK1/2.
Me too, I refuse to buy these products for the same reason. That's why I bought a chip with a measurement report.

Apr 25, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #1,624 of 3,353
When Pulsar OCXO clocks was still distributing, they sent a measured phase noise plot for each shipped OCXO.
I had upgraded the Crystek 575 100Mhz in my Auralic Vega with a Pulsar OCXO.
Unfortunately, the OCXO phase noise upwards towards 100Mhz is not really that much better than the best TCXOs and the marginal yet noticeable audible improvement [from memory- <5% soundstage expansion] reflected this in the listening. I later added the Gold Bybee purifiers in line to the +/- of the PS feed to the OCXO and this added another 10% soundstage improvement. I should have left the Crystek in place. And the Bybees are not cheap. Live and learn.
I inquired with Kingwa several years ago about replacing the Accusilicons to [allegedly available] Accusilicon OCXOs in the R8HE. At that time, Accusilicon marketed nicely spec'ed OCXOs for audio but they never returned my inquiries.
I brought it up to Kingwa to see if he could get them in China and Accusilicon never got back to him either. His local sales rep didn't know anything about them leading Kingwa to conclude that their OCXO product for audio frequencies didn't really exist. The Pulsar at least offered the same OCXO footprint to replace the two Accusilicons in the R8HE. Kingwa mentioned that I would need to size up one of the regulators to handle the added current for both frequencies. Unfortunately, Pulsar's inventory had sold out and they decided not to stay in business. I did try the Bybee Gold Purifiers in line to the power to the Accusilicon in the R8HE and got a 10% soundstage expansion.
I think the Accusilicon TCXOs and the Crystek 575s are really great - not even considering their low cost.

I started out with a Matrix DDI, thought I would be upgrading to the SingXer SU-6 and there really wasn't much of a difference in my system.
I also didn't feel that IIS through the DDIs offered any meaningful enhancement.
I then went to the SU-2 - still no meaningful improvement, and when I added the 10Mhz external reference, there was a nice 15% bump in soundstage expansion going IIS to the R8HE.
There was a much bigger improvement timing the SU-2 DDI than the R8HE. In terms of the R8HE, there is a noticeable improvement with external clock using IIS in terms of better soundstage focus but not huge. My personal data points - FWIW.

Apr 25, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #1,625 of 3,353
I found the detail of sound is little less than the 1 meter cable, this surprising me.
It surprises me too. I listened to each 0.5m cable separately and they sounded identical to the whole cable. I did make sure to use each piece in the marked direction and crimped, not soldered, the plugs.

Apr 25, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #1,626 of 3,353
Does the Harmonic Technology come in a 75 ohm version? I am running LHY OCK 2 > EtherRegen> Bricasti M3.
I think I can run a filter and use a 50 ohm cable correct?

This is my first clock and I can tell it has possibilities. It came with a 2 meter Gotham 75 ohm cable. No idea where that falls in the quality range. I can get away with a much shorter cable if that helps.

Apr 25, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #1,627 of 3,353
Yes, the HT is available as a 75 ohm cable, too. Clock cables are better shorter. My experience of Gotham suggests the HT is a lot better.

Apr 25, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #1,628 of 3,353
I am using a 1 meter Sommer 50ohm clock cable, I heard Martin cut his HT cable into 50cm and has good result, I ordered 1 meter Sommer cable and some BNC connector, then cut it into 50cm and DIY built the BNC cable, when used this cable tonight, I found the detail of sound is little less than the 1 meter cable, this surprising me. Audio stuffs fun is there, swap and test.
Quality of the connector matters, fitting can be defective as well. Get quality connector, you still have a second half of the cable.

Apr 25, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #1,629 of 3,353
The reason for not providing the phase noise measurements is most likely because the equipment to do these on levels below -115dBc/1Hz are crazy expensive. When I asked Alvin he referred to contact a third party lab owning and working with these high precision tools. Mutec and Cybershaft have them inhouse and as far as I understand AfterDark also have access to such gear/lab. We cannot expect the smaller clock workshops to own these tools. If trying to use lower grade equipment for these measurements the equipments own internal phase noise will be shown in the graphs.

I am sure serious sources of OCXO's for let say LHY keep the delivered units (clocks) in spec. Jay's Audio should never jeopardize their reputation by putting in lower spec OCXO's than advertized <-110dBc/1Hz for OCK-1 and <-115dBz/1Hz for OCK-2. I should really appreciate a third party skilled lab team to measure up a a few OCK-2's just to kill the unhealthy "debate without proof"

/Jan
These are used oscillators pulled off of cell towers. A few were tested independently and were way below spec.
Testing equipment for phase noise isn’t expensive at all.
I watched a 15 minute YouTube video and could perform that test in my sleep.

Apr 26, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #1,631 of 3,353
Please provide us links to Your sources for this informations.
/Jan
Here is a link to the article.
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...ock-for-your-etherregen/?do=userPosts&mid=231

LHY based their published specifications on a third-party in China (the source for the OCXOs themselves), then said it would not be practicable for Vinshine or LHY to individually certify their clock boxes, given the low retail price of the units. 🙄
Measured performance of the LHY by Jon Swenson was -91dBc@1hz.

Apr 26, 2023 at 4:34 AM Post #1,634 of 3,353
LHY is a mixed bag with the OXCO. I think some are in the spec range and some are out of spec. Its a lottery.
I jumped also on the LHY hype train last year and bought the OCK-2 and thought it is a improvement to the R26 K2 but after a couple months listening with the OCK-2, i took it out of my system and there was no difference in SQ.

Apr 26, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #1,635 of 3,353
Bad luck that they all are not suitable for clock cable.
Why?

Supra has a good measurement for there 75Ohm. I can recommend them. Trico series

Users who are viewing this thread

• KKKN
Back