Master Clock Talk
Apr 24, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #1,606 of 3,364
Tic Toc Click Clock.....Is LHY working on a DAC or what? - its so obvious they need one that fits the design language of the color theme they got going on....

Any rumours?

Apr 24, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #1,608 of 3,364
I wonder if they will post measurements of it lol
Hmm why? Are they hiding measurments or?

When looking at lhy website I also expected some more specs/measurements, but I believe there switches are really good according to reviews I found in google.

Apr 24, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #1,610 of 3,364
Apr 25, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #1,611 of 3,364
Everybody's cashing in on the new 10 MHz clock market. Unless you use it as a Master Clock, which most people aren't doing, what you're getting is a glorified tone-control as @chesebert pointed out in a different thread. And because of this, and because of personal preference, you don't necessarily have to spend a lot of money to get a result you want, if we're talking about clocking one device. If you want accurate sound and clock multiple devices, that is going to cost some money.

Apr 25, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #1,612 of 3,364
what you're getting is a glorified tone-control

I don't agree with this. Before I ran a clock for my DDC/DAC combo, I was running an external clock on just my EtherREGEN reclocker/switch. The effect of the external clock was far more than a tone control, it improved the soundstage, spatiality, focus and detail in the music.

This is because the clock helped to reduce the phase noise and jitter on the outgoing ethernet connection, which helps streamer performance.

Apr 25, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #1,613 of 3,364
Everybody's cashing in on the new 10 MHz clock market. Unless you use it as a Master Clock, which most people aren't doing, what you're getting is a glorified tone-control as @chesebert pointed out in a different thread. And because of this, and because of personal preference, you don't necessarily have to spend a lot of money to get a result you want, if we're talking about clocking one device. If you want accurate sound and clock multiple devices, that is going to cost some money.
I don't think that's completely true.

I've seen comments from the designers of the etherregen and Audio GD DACs stating that audible improvement is possible with an external clock, assuming the quality is high enough. Kingwa uses a Mutec clock for example.

Apr 25, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #1,614 of 3,364
I think the master clock effect on DDC or DAC is very depends on how the device DDC/DAC use of the master 10Mhz clock, e.g. my SU2, there has PLL IC, VCXO and circuit to fine tune the VCXO frequency by reference to the 10Mhz clock, although I have no idea how the PLL can change the phase of VCXO to decrease jitter, but the result is really positive, I can hear more detail compare with internal clock, it is not huge difference but the positive change is there.
Another way to use the 10Mhz clock by FPGA to calculate and output the necessary frequency for the DAC use, like Gustard x26pro, U18, Mutec mc3+USB, I think this is better than SU2 way to use the master clock, I believe different brands has different technologies to use the master clock to generate mclk for DAC to use.

Apr 25, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #1,615 of 3,364
I am using a 1 meter Sommer 50ohm clock cable, I heard Martin cut his HT cable into 50cm and has good result, I ordered 1 meter Sommer cable and some BNC connector, then cut it into 50cm and DIY built the BNC cable, when used this cable tonight, I found the detail of sound is little less than the 1 meter cable, this surprising me. Audio stuffs fun is there, swap and test.

Apr 25, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #1,616 of 3,364
I dont find measurements on Aune either. They actually have new one..

https://www.auneaudio-europe.com/product/s1c-high-performance-audio-clock/

They also have a non WC version that is cheaper.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/hifi...-sine-signal-square-signal-black-p-17430.html
The reason for not providing the phase noise measurements is most likely because the equipment to do these on levels below -115dBc/1Hz are crazy expensive. When I asked Alvin he referred to contact a third party lab owning and working with these high precision tools. Mutec and Cybershaft have them inhouse and as far as I understand AfterDark also have access to such gear/lab. We cannot expect the smaller clock workshops to own these tools. If trying to use lower grade equipment for these measurements the equipments own internal phase noise will be shown in the graphs.

I am sure serious sources of OCXO's for let say LHY keep the delivered units (clocks) in spec. Jay's Audio should never jeopardize their reputation by putting in lower spec OCXO's than advertized <-110dBc/1Hz for OCK-1 and <-115dBz/1Hz for OCK-2. I should really appreciate a third party skilled lab team to measure up a a few OCK-2's just to kill the unhealthy "debate without proof"

/Jan

Apr 25, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #1,617 of 3,364
While I agree one doesn't have to spend much for a decent clock (e.g. OCK-2), the comparison of not using a master clock as the central time keeper and calling it glorified tone control is asinine.

If by tone control, he means less perceived but tighter bass due to less time smearing, then he'd be right… but that'd still be the case if one used individual (quality) clocks for each component vs. slaving to one (quality) clock.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #1,618 of 3,364
The reason for not providing the phase noise measurements is most likely because the equipment to do these on levels below -115dBc/1Hz are crazy expensive. When I asked Alvin he referred to contact a third party lab owning and working with these high precision tools. Mutec and Cybershaft have them inhouse and as far as I understand AfterDark also have access to such gear/lab. We cannot expect the smaller clock workshops to own these tools. If trying to use lower grade equipment for these measurements the equipments own internal phase noise will be shown in the graphs.

I am sure serious sources of OCXO's for let say LHY keep the delivered units (clocks) in spec. Jay's Audio should never jeopardize their reputation by putting in lower spec OCXO's than advertized <-110dBc/1Hz for OCK-1 and <-115dBz/1Hz for OCK-2. I should really appreciate a third party skilled lab team to measure up a a few OCK-2's just to kill the unhealthy "debate without proof"

/Jan
But I found a measurement result of OCK1 is lower than -100dBz/1hz from another forum, those guys informed Jay's Audio boss about this, then Jay's Audio removed the measurement result from LHY Taobao shop. Because of this result, I aborted to order OCK1/2.

Apr 25, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #1,619 of 3,364
I have an extra brand new Harmonic Technology Digital Copper III 75ohm BNC-BNC 1M for sale - $150 plus $10 PP & ship to CONTUS if anyone is interested.
I bought a few extra cables from Labkable. Please PM if interested. If you only need one, and the shipping from Labkable has held you back, this might be of interest.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #1,620 of 3,364
But I found a measurement result of OCK1 is lower than -100dBz/1hz from another forum, those guys informed Jay's Audio boss about this, then Jay's Audio removed the measurement result from LHY Taobao shop. Because of this result, I aborted to order OCK1/2.
I have heard of that but I still don't take it for true. -Who did the measurement and with what equipment, calibrated when....? and so on.

That's why I should like to get true numbers from a skilled third party lab.
/J

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back