Master Clock Talk
Dec 9, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #136 of 3,374
Interesting, cheers. Yes fiber ethernet. Would power conditioning (something I'm contemplating generally) and/or linear power supplies fully address your concern here, or is noise riding the ethernet cable on the output of thd receiving fibre convertor a concern too?

Alternatively appreciate there's galvanic isolation alternatives like the wifi extender you mention and the Delock insulator, little passive in line boxes between two ethernet cables.

Fibre ethernet convertors are so cheap I figured I'd give them a go, let my ears be the judge.

Edit - I think I might have to try all three, potentially in combination, and/or in different parts of the chain. E.g.
  • fibre ethernet convertor between cable model and router - has the benefit of protecting from lightning strikes, surges (yes I have fibre to the house as well, just have too sweet a deal with cable broadband to move anytime soon)
  • Wifi extender alone (i.e. ethernet > streamer etc) / or + Delock before DAC/streamer
  • DeLock alone - various places
  • Fibre ethernet converter after router before streamer (alone) / or + Delock
This would be super interesting. My hypothesis is that that the wifi extender in many cases will be enough for isolation, unless there’s a heavy amount of noise entering line from nearby equipment / electronics.

Dec 9, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #137 of 3,374
You have a point if we decide to use Single Mod fiber (8-10µm/125 for long distance. These Single Mod fiber transfer are using Laser diodes. It is a much better idea to use Multimode 50µm/125 that are using Led's with much lower amount of energy used. We have to careful to chose a good and silent Power Supply for the "Jump equipment", so we not induce noise while powering the fiber electronics.

/Jan
Yes. Multi-mode fiber is little better. Some audiophiles claim that single mode is better (more expensive, so must be better - lol). I have to fight with such approach every time...

A real difference is that single mode beam is fed straight to the receiver (it is why a name - from a single beam), a light never bounce on the internal wall, in result lower losses of energy. In a multimode fiber, feeder is a larger diameter, emitted beam is bouncing the wall under various angles (every time losing portion of energy) and multiple reflection streams do not arrive coherent. Therefore whether it is coherent laser emitter or the ordinary diode doesn't matter, at the receiver light is not coherent.

So in a multimode fiber cheaper non-laser diodes can be used, but it doesn't say anything about lower power. A maximum distance is restricted by many factors. In both cases it is a pulse modulation with two energy levels (on or off), this variable load goes through power supply, as wrote before.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #138 of 3,374
Yes. Multi-mode fiber is little better. Some audiophiles claim that single mode is better (more expensive, so must be better - lol). I have to fight with such approach every time...

A real difference is that single mode beam is fed straight to the receiver (it is why a name - from a single beam), a light never bounce on the internal wall, in result lower losses of energy. In a multimode fiber, feeder is a larger diameter, emitted beam is bouncing the wall under various angles (every time losing portion of energy) and multiple reflection streams not arrive coherent. Therefore whether it is coherent laser emitter or the ordinary diode doesn't matter, at the receiver light is not coherent.

So in a multimode fiber cheaper non-laser diodes can be used, but it doesn't say anything about lower power. A maximum distance is restricted by many factors. In both cases it is a pulse modulation with two energy levels (on or off), this variable load goes through power supply.
LOL! I bought single mode only because on paper the “performance” was better. Never thought about this laser diode thing😂

I found it(single mode) not to perform better than ethernet but different. Ethernet somehow is more crispy in the sound, maybe because of distortion. It sounded better. The fiber was smoother like it took not only away the crisp/distortion but rounded of the highs/treble. Maybe placebo, but I am using baaske mi1005 on ethernet

Dec 10, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #139 of 3,374
I've tried chinese rg400 from Ali and it was quite harsh even after couple of weeks. So decided to make my own cable. I've bought huber suchner eacon 4c and amphenol bnc plugs with berillium copper. It's 10minutes after i connected it and all i can say, I won't go back to rg400 anymore. Will see how it'll sound after burnin. 1m cable is something about 50eu and bnc plugs 20eu each. I see that ock-1 is really picky about power cable as well. Thought for clock it shouldn't matter, but boy i was wrong. So with the bmc cable i just tried to find good copper silver plated cable and guess this one worked out very well.
So what I want to say: just try to find bulk cables from respectable companies and try to make it yourself.

Do you mind sharing which Ampenol plugs you got? Found 4 different options for 50ohm with the berillium copper. I suppose the 'extreme exposure' versions aren't needed, so then it's an RG-58 and an RG-174 version left (I'm completely clueless what is behind these numbers).

Dec 10, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #140 of 3,374
@JaMo if I buy the ock-2 I should choose one configuration right? Like 75Ohm.

But at later I can switch to 50Ohms if I want right?

But what about the physical/connecter. 50 and 75 is not the same

Dec 10, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #142 of 3,374
Hi @OCC7N
That is correct. You have the 50/75 Ohm choice on all six outputs.
/Jan
Thanks. Next question is connectors(50/75) are soldered to the board. How will it be possible?

Or did they make them easy removable?

Dec 10, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #143 of 3,374
Thanks. Next question is connectors(50/75) are soldered to the board. How will it be possible?

Or did they make them easy removable?
You/we are not supposed to change the connectors. The connectors chosen are good for both 50 and 75 Ohms, similar to Cybershaft's configuration. The only thing You/we do is to open the bottom lid with a 2 mm Allen key and put the dip switch for the specific out put to the impedance value of choice.
/Jan

Dec 10, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #144 of 3,374
You/we are not supposed to change the connectors. The connectors chosen are good for both 50 and 75 Ohms, similar to Cybershaft's configuration. The only thing You/we do is to open the bottom lid with a 2 mm Allen key and put the dip switch for the specific out put to the impedance value of choice.
/Jan
Awesome. Thanks!

Dec 10, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #145 of 3,374
/Jan
Does OCK-2 come with the setting at 50?

Dec 10, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #147 of 3,374
Burning in OCK-2 from Aliexpress seller.

Looking very impressive next to my Morion. Fit and finish are very nice.

20221210_102513.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #149 of 3,374
Dec 10, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #150 of 3,374
It feels like you have too much space available. Sorry, it had to be said :p

Even though the shootout comparison is a long way away I made the room to make it easy. Won't be until Feb unfortunately. I'll be away but the system will be up burning in clock and various cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back