Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Aug 26, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #2,538 of 2,613
I’m good. There is nothing wrong with my DAC or chain. I didn’t like the amp.
Fair enough. You like what you like. Have you settled on something else?

Aug 26, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #2,539 of 2,613
Fair enough. You like what you like. Have you settled on something else?
Thank you for asking. My chain consists of Roon Labs/Core Technology USBe Perfect/Silver Dragon USB Cable/Exogal Comet+ for my digital chain. I currently have two amps. For solid state I have a Cembalo Labs Spring 1. I might have the only one left in existence. For tube amplification I have an Icon Audio HP8, which is a transformer based tube amp with 6SN7 and 12AX7 tubes, hand wound transformers, point to point wiring and no circuit boards in the signal path. Both are single ended designs. The Spring 1 has both balanced inputs and outputs, but there isn't a significant sound difference through balanced. In fact, I think the amp sounds better when I use RCAs out of my DAC. Whereas, I like my HP8 when I use XLR to RCAs to take advantage of a bit more voltage into the HP8.

Both amps are the best I have ever owned. I absolutely love them both for very different reasons. I tend to use the Spring 1 for my LCD-4z and Radiante, and my HP8 for my high impedance headphones. However, both amps are tremendous with all of my headphones.

I recognize the 789 is probably the best amp value on the market and it is an extremely clean, distortion free amp. I found the soundstage to be compressed and for it to lack a bit of top end resolution. That being said, I do recognize that it is a VERY competent amp. I struggle with the idea that measurements lead to better. I am not an objectivist when it comes to music and this hobby. I genuinely believe that we have to listen to understand what we like. I also didn't love the build quality of the amp. I got mine brand new from Drop. The headphone outputs weren't great, especially the 1/4". Fortunately the amp sounds best through the XLR, but I didn't find the amp to be premium in terms of build quality. Just my two cents...

There is no right or wrong with this stuff. Only preferences based on our individual use case, and goals for sound and function.

I am happy to have this post cause respectful debate. I by no means believe my thoughts or feelings are the only way. How boring that would be... I hope this finds you well!

Aug 26, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #2,540 of 2,613
Thank you for asking. My chain consists of Roon Labs/Core Technology USBe Perfect/Silver Dragon USB Cable/Exogal Comet+ for my digital chain. I currently have two amps. For solid state I have a Cembalo Labs Spring 1. I might have the only one left in existence. For tube amplification I have an Icon Audio HP8, which is a transformer based tube amp with 6SN7 and 12AX7 tubes, hand wound transformers, point to point wiring and no circuit boards in the signal path. Both are single ended designs. The Spring 1 has both balanced inputs and outputs, but there isn't a significant sound difference through balanced. In fact, I think the amp sounds better when I use RCAs out of my DAC. Whereas, I like my HP8 when I use XLR to RCAs to take advantage of a bit more voltage into the HP8.

Both amps are the best I have ever owned. I absolutely love them both for very different reasons. I tend to use the Spring 1 for my LCD-4z and Radiante, and my HP8 for my high impedance headphones. However, both amps are tremendous with all of my headphones.

I recognize the 789 is probably the best amp value on the market and it is an extremely clean, distortion free amp. I found the soundstage to be compressed and for it to lack a bit of top end resolution. That being said, I do recognize that it is a VERY competent amp. I struggle with the idea that measurements lead to better. I am not an objectivist when it comes to music and this hobby. I genuinely believe that we have to listen to understand what we like. I also didn't love the build quality of the amp. I got mine brand new from Drop. The headphone outputs weren't great, especially the 1/4". Fortunately the amp sounds best through the XLR, but I didn't find the amp to be premium in terms of build quality. Just my two cents...

There is no right or wrong with this stuff. Only preferences based on our individual use case, and goals for sound and function.

I am happy to have this post cause respectful debate. I by no means believe my thoughts or feelings are the only way. How boring that would be... I hope this finds you well!

As long as you are happy with your choice, then that's good enough for me Brother.

My fIrst HPA was a Metrum Acoustics Aurix (Class A), which was replaced with the 789. It has been brilliant. That said, I am considering replacing it with an LTA MZ3. It's all development.

All the best to you.

Aug 26, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #2,541 of 2,613
As long as you are happy with your choice, then that's good enough for me Brother.

My fIrst HPA was a Metrum Acoustics Aurix (Class A), which was replaced with the 789. It has been brilliant. That said, I am considering replacing it with an LTA MZ3. It's all development.

All the best to you.
The MZ3 is a wonderful amp. At the price to sell the 789 you might as well keep it. Good luck getting that amp. Such a great amp.

Aug 26, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #2,542 of 2,613

All the best to you.
@jonathan c owns one. He can speak clearly about its attributes.

Aug 26, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #2,543 of 2,613
Aug 26, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #2,544 of 2,613
THX AAA 789 —> LTA MZ3 === atmosphere —> ionosphere

Aug 27, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #2,545 of 2,613
THX AAA 789 —> LTA MZ3 === atmosphere —> ionosphere
You crack me up. @DenverW is right. Witty! Half the time I have to look up what you are saying or try to understand the context. The emojis I understand.

Oct 13, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #2,546 of 2,613
Question for you guys i have had my thx 789 for about 2yrs now and so far until now it sounded great. But recently for some reason recently starting to sound harsh and shouty. For the past 2 years I haven't had any problem the same set up and everything. I even tried four different types of headphones, the audeze lcd x , lcd i4, zmf atticus and the hifiman he 1000s and everything with all of those headphones even with eq still sounds shouty and harsh. My question is there something that happened to the the amp because it never sounded this harsh and sharp before. Like I said same set up so I don't know why the sound changed.

Oct 13, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #2,547 of 2,613
Question for you guys i have had my thx 789 for about 2yrs now and so far until now it sounded great. But recently for some reason recently starting to sound harsh and shouty. For the past 2 years I haven't had any problem the same set up and everything. I even tried four different types of headphones, the audeze lcd x , lcd i4, zmf atticus and the hifiman he 1000s and everything with all of those headphones even with eq still sounds shouty and harsh. My question is there something that happened to the the amp because it never sounded this harsh and sharp before. Like I said same set up so I don't know why the sound changed.
I’m sorry that has happened to you. Honestly, no idea. I never found the 789 to be shouty, but I did always find it to be dry and lifeless. It is a pretty simple and well built design. I doubt anything has happened to the amp. Other than perhaps your tastes are changing.

Oct 13, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #2,548 of 2,613
My 789 quit working and I jumped on the $150 THX One on drop immediately. I absolutely love the One. The compact size makes it feel more substantial in the hand and it doesn't have the lame power brick of the 789. In my estimation it's a better looking unit too. It's a win all the way around unless you absolutely need balanced/more power.

Oct 13, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #2,549 of 2,613
My 789 quit working and I jumped on the $150 THX One on drop immediately. I absolutely love the One. The compact size makes it feel more substantial in the hand and it doesn't have the lame power brick of the 789. In my estimation it's a better looking unit too. It's a win all the way around unless you absolutely need balanced/more power.
You probably didn't need the full power output of the 789 right? I know the THX ONE's output is lower (still a lot though haha).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back