Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Aug 23, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #2,506 of 2,613
How does an amp become outdated?

Also, it sounds like perhaps your overall setup had issues. I don't think that experience is consistent with what the overwhelming majority of owners report.
I really enjoy mine. It's not my only headphone amp but I'm still loving it and it gets a lot of use. It has a lot of good, clean power and big, wide open sound.

Aug 23, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #2,508 of 2,613

Also, it sounds like perhaps your overall setup had issues. I don't think that experience is consistent with what the overwhelming majority of owners report.
Or it could be that the 789 just isn’t that great an amp. A good amp for its price but nothing special. I owned one and promptly sold it. My chain was not the problem. My problem was that the amp lacked a soul, sounded lifeless and boring. Very clean and very low distortion numbers, but when we are talking about numbers way past what we can audibly detect I look for intangible qualities. Pacing, space between the notes, body and physicality. The amp does exactly what is advertised. Gives you gobs of clean, distortion free power. Just not my cup of tea.,

Aug 23, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #2,509 of 2,613
Or it could be that the 789 just isn’t that great an amp. A good amp for its price but nothing special. I owned one and promptly sold it. My chain was not the problem. My problem was that the amp lacked a soul, sounded lifeless and boring. Very clean and very low distortion numbers, but when we are talking about numbers way past what we can audibly detect I look for intangible qualities. Pacing, space between the notes, body and physicality. The amp does exactly what is advertised. Gives you gobs of clean, distortion free power. Just not my cup of tea.,
Means you like coloration.

Aug 23, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #2,510 of 2,613
Means you like coloration.
Maybe a bit. My SS amp is just so much more to my liking. It isn’t warm, it isn’t distorted, it just has more top end resolution and image specificity. Measurements don’t mean something is going to sound good. I know that might not be a popular statement in this thread. Same thing with all the Topping and SMSL stuff. They all sound the same to me. Completely free of distortion and clean. Just kind of no there there for my tastes. I do like tubes. I also recognize the 789 is highly proficient for what it is meant to do. Just not for me.

Aug 23, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #2,511 of 2,613

Dacs and amps just get cheaper, more powerful and have more features every year if you follow the market. This amp isn't as competitive in today's market. That's what i mean by outdated.

Aug 23, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #2,512 of 2,613
Maybe a bit. My SS amp is just so much more to my liking. It isn’t warm, it isn’t distorted, it just has more top end resolution and image specificity. Measurements don’t mean something is going to sound good. I know that might not be a popular statement in this thread. Same thing with all the Topping and SMSL stuff. They all sound the same to me. Completely free of distortion and clean. Just kind of no there there for my tastes. I do like tubes. I also recognize the 789 is highly proficient for what it is meant to do. Just not for me.
I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN.

Aug 23, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #2,514 of 2,613
The distortion and noise floor in the 789 measure below audibility; any measured improvement of those variables would be of no practical value.
That is the problem with this whole argument. Measurements won’t tell you whether or not I like the way it sounds. But, certainly will tell you they have figured out how to continue pushing down values we can’t hear anyway. It is an odd game and one I don’t fully understand. I have always made my choices based on how it sounds in my chain with my headphones. Whether or not it measures a certain way doesn’t tell me if I will like it.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #2,515 of 2,613
That is the problem with this whole argument. Measurements won’t tell you whether or not like the way it sounds. But, certainly will tell you they have figured out how to continue pushing down values we can’t hear anyway. It is an odd game and one I don’t fully understand. I have always made my choices based on how it sounds in my chain with my headphones. Whether or not is measures a certain way doesn’t tell me if I will like it.
☑️ The measurements in audio gear indicate how that gear performs electronically - not sonically.

Aug 23, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #2,516 of 2,613
Aug 23, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #2,517 of 2,613
I like to first get the sound without coloration, as much clean and transparent as possible, so FR, noise, distortion, etc. measurements are a must to know how clean and transparent it will be.
Then, I might consider to color it by altering frequency response or adding noise and distortion, in a posterior stage.. ermmm, no, I never end doing this at last, I feel enough emotion with good music, instead of with undesired artificial tones, noise, and distortion; but I respect others' likes, of course; this is my personal preference and the reason of considering 789 top notch already

Aug 23, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #2,518 of 2,613
The problem absolutely is in your chain. That amp is transparent, so if you weren't hearing what you wanted then look to your source and DAC.

Aug 23, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #2,519 of 2,613
The problem absolutely is in your chain. That amp is transparent, so if you weren't hearing what you wanted then look to your source and DAC.
I’m good. There is nothing wrong with my DAC or chain. I didn’t like the amp.

Aug 24, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #2,520 of 2,613
That is the problem with this whole argument. Measurements won’t tell you whether or not I like the way it sounds. But, certainly will tell you they have figured out how to continue pushing down values we can’t hear anyway. It is an odd game and one I don’t fully understand. I have always made my choices based on how it sounds in my chain with my headphones. Whether or not it measures a certain way doesn’t tell me if I will like it.
Yup, tell that to ASR... ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back