Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #2,462 of 2,613
So far the only issue I've had with the 789 is that after warranty expired.. I started to experience a scratchy/crackle sound when changing the volume.... The volume pot is not the best, but apparently this happens to many analogue volume pots... A good solution so far has been to turn the volume fully up and before turning it ON. It helps keep the volume pot lubricated. Other than that my only wish is that there was a higher quality version of this amp with a better pot and other components, etc so the thing could confortably be warranted for at least 3 years.

Apr 3, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #2,463 of 2,613
Now, i may the only one to think it, but a newer version with AAA 888 to keep up the newer headphones with the better and faster N52 neodynium magnets, would be an audiophile heaven...

Apr 3, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #2,464 of 2,613
Now, i may the only one to think it, but a newer version with AAA 888 to keep up the newer headphones with the better and faster N52 neodynium magnets, would be an audiophile heaven...
I second this 100%! Indeed, more power and better components. And now that we are at it.. Perhaps preamp functionality as well..

Apr 4, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #2,465 of 2,613
I second this 100%! Indeed, more power and better components. And now that we are at it.. Perhaps preamp functionality as well..
But then again, we have other THX 888 in the market. Why would drop create another THX 888 when they have other development on going with other segments if that make sense. But honestly, if you ask me, I kinda want THX 888 to be implemented but then again, I dislike the Drop design.

Apr 6, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #2,466 of 2,613
Had mine for about 2 years now and, while I compared it with a Liquid Spark when I first received it, I haven't had any desire for anything else. Pairing it with a Topping E50 seemed to give a bit of roundness and running balance is now giving me access to the full power... even my HE6se v2s sing now. It fits perfectly on my desk, sounds great, and powers anything I can throw at it... what more can one ask for? Currently getting slammed by my HE-500s powered by the 789 and it's fantastic.

Apr 7, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #2,468 of 2,613
Had mine for about 2 years now and, while I compared it with a Liquid Spark when I first received it, I haven't had any desire for anything else. Pairing it with a Topping E50 seemed to give a bit of roundness and running balance is now giving me access to the full power... even my HE6se v2s sing now. It fits perfectly on my desk, sounds great, and powers anything I can throw at it... what more can one ask for? Currently getting slammed by my HE-500s powered by the 789 and it's fantastic.
Sorry by slam, do you mean the bass region ? That bass slam ?

Apr 7, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #2,469 of 2,613
Usually associated with bass / midbass, ‘slam’ can be a sonic characteristic over much of reproduced music frequency spectrum. Think of ‘slam’ as force / heft / weight - independent of volume level. Excellent transient response and ‘slam’ go hand-in-hand.

Apr 7, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #2,470 of 2,613
Sorry by slam, do you mean the bass region ? That bass slam ?

Usually associated with bass / midbass, ‘slam’ can be a sonic characteristic over much of reproduced music frequency spectrum. Think of ‘slam’ as force / heft / weight - independent of volume level. Excellent transient response and ‘slam’ go hand-in-hand.
I wasn't really tying to describe the tonality with that comment but yes, the song has a hard-hitting snare tone with emphasis on the low-mids and the HE-500 delivers it as Jonathan described.

Apr 8, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #2,472 of 2,613
So the answer is yes then.
In a literal sense no, the answer is not 'yes' since I was not attempting to describe a tonality in that post when saying 'slammed'; I was just referring to listening to loud music and that the THX 789 was delivering the required power and volume.

In a general sense yes, you are correct, and jonathan c provided a good description.

Apr 8, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #2,473 of 2,613
In a literal sense no, the answer is not 'yes' since I was not attempting to describe a tonality in that post when saying 'slammed'; I was just referring to listening to loud music and that the THX 789 was delivering the required power and volume.

In a general sense yes, you are correct, and jonathan c provided a good description.
Just as I thought. Thats why if am wondering thats what you mean in terms of loudness or frequency spectrum

Apr 10, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #2,474 of 2,613
Just sort of a PSA. I've found that brass footers and weights noticeably bring out some fullness and presence from this amp. I did some playing around and found that placement matters, and bigger weights are better. It's a worthwhile experiment IMO, but the footers and weights cost more than the amp, lol. Mapleshade does have a 30 day money back if you want to try it. This really is a pretty great amp for the cost. The definition and layering are commendable.

PXL_20210310_040228358.PORTRAIT.jpg

This looks quite interesting. Where does one even get these brass weights? I don't have a 789 anymore as I sold it probably a year ago or so. I'd be interested in getting one again. Right now I'm using Schiit gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back