Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Feb 14, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #2,447 of 2,613
Well yea, but I used the 24v psu on 24v amp first still cant turn to white LED. There could be other root of the problem so just curious of what others think !
Without opening the amp, checking the circuit for problems testing the PSU etc. it's all a guessing game.

Feb 14, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #2,448 of 2,613
I purchased the THX 789 for $200 during the end of year sale. I paired it with the Denafrips Ares II. Even with the R2R DAC I found the sound to be very harsh. I tried the setup with Focal Clear, LCD-2C, HD 6XX, and U12t's. I couldn't find any pairing that sounded good to my ears. What I'm trying to understand is why everyone raves about this amp? I also found that the single ended output was basically unusable. As harsh as the sound was coming out of the balanced output I will admit that the sound was very clean albeit fatiguing af. From the single ended output I still got a hard edged sound but the music was muddy to say the least. Simply put it sounded like garbage. Even at the discounted price of $200 I felt the amp was not worthwhile. I owned the Schiit Magnius for a short time which I purchased from the Schiit website for $200. That amp was leagues better than the 789 but for some reason 789 gets all the attention. What gives?
I used to use my HD6XX on them and never thought it sounded harsh. A little harsh at times with Clear but the Clear has a couple treble peaks anyway. Isn’t the point of this amp that it sounds like nothing? 🤷‍♂️

Feb 14, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #2,450 of 2,613
I used to use my HD6XX on them and never thought it sounded harsh. A little harsh at times with Clear but the Clear has a couple treble peaks anyway. Isn’t the point of this amp that it sounds like nothing? 🤷‍♂️

I agree. If a headphone sounds harsh on the THX 789, it's the headphone that sounds harsh, not the amp. And EQ is a great way to tame that.

Feb 14, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #2,451 of 2,613
I am sorry your experience was not good. I am not surprised/ I was trying to be diplomatic in my impressions. Hopefully you find your right amp. I would suggest going a bit deeper into amp tech, especially for the quality of your headphones. Not sure your budget, but the Singxer SDA-1 is quite good. The A90 is also very good, although I can’t work for that corporation. Also look at the Flux Labs stuff. They make great amps at all price ranges. Although they start a bit higher than the 789. The Pathos Aurium is also an amazing amp. For my ears the best $500 amp is the Headamp Gilmore Lite MK2. If you get the GRLV with it you will get an amazing chain for your wonderful headphones.
I'm currently using the Singxer SA-1 as my daily desktop amp. Paired with the Ares II the amp really sings. I've also owned the A90 which I actually really like too. I value your recommendations as we both seem to have similar tastes. Thanks!

Feb 14, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #2,452 of 2,613
I bet the Singxer and Ares are making a wonderful chain.

I just got an Icon Audio HP8 Signature. It is rocking my world right now. Especially with my Auteurs. I have had the same SS amp for the past 18 months . I just can’t seem to find anything I like more. The company who made it went out of business in 2018. I believe I have the only one left on Head-Fi. It is such a cool amp. I got lucky finding it and it was the best chance I have taken in this hobby.

What headphone are you liking most with your SDA-1? I bet your XC sounds great on it. As does your 2C. I used to own the Clear. Great headphone. It was too efficient for my amp and so I traded it for my current daily driver. The Code X.

You have definitely moved up the line from the 789. I get why people like it, but I had the same experience as you. I don’t think I gave it more than 10 hrs before I sold it. I hated it from the first song. Clean, powerful and blah. Maybe not the best thing to say on this thread. I apologize to anyone I have offended.

Feb 14, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #2,453 of 2,613
The distortion numbers are vanishingly low on the 789 which is in my opinion the reason the amp is so beloved.

I just read your page. Looks like you found two very capable amps for your system.

How is everything sounding now?
I am very satisfied with my current setup. Satisfied to the point that I feel like I don't need to buy another amp ever again. I will say though that I am very curious to hear what a good tube amp sounds like. I've done some research on the Feliks Audio Euforia. I think the amp is absolutely gorgeous. Will need to start saving for a while as that amp is pretty pricey. Cheers!

Feb 14, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #2,454 of 2,613
I am very satisfied with my current setup. Satisfied to the point that I feel like I don't need to buy another amp ever again. I will say though that I am very curious to hear what a good tube amp sounds like. I've done some research on the Feliks Audio Euforia. I think the amp is absolutely gorgeous. Will need to start saving for a while as that amp is pretty pricey. Cheers!
Love tube amps. I went the route of the Icon HP8. Hand wound copper transformer with beautiful CV181 tubes. Same tubes the Euforia uses. The Eurforia is an awesome amp.

That is no fun to just stop at the SDA-1. There is so much fun stuff to try. End Game is a myth. We are constantly evolving the way we hear and the more we listen the more we change. It’s like our palates. The more we taste the more refined our palates become. You will want to change it up. If you change a piece in your chain, you may need to change other things to find balance once again. Or maybe not. :)

Feb 14, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #2,455 of 2,613
Once again 🤨, I’ll say it 🤪……the urge to upgrade can strike any Head-Fier at any time without warning and without regard to finances…

Feb 14, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #2,456 of 2,613
Once again 🤨, I’ll say it 🤪……the urge to upgrade can strike any Head-Fier at any time without warning and without regard to finances…
Because the journey is the prize. Once again Jonathan we are 100% aligned. Seems like that happens pretty much always.

Apr 1, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #2,458 of 2,613
Why Drop didn't made a sequel for this amp. It's kinda outdated right now. I wonder if it sells well.

I remember it sounding like a ghost. Light feet, ethereal, airy, neutral but smooth. Maybe sterile but not bright or harsh. Highly technical imo.

They should modernize it a bit and made a matching dac and cut the price. It would sell like hot cake.

Apr 1, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #2,459 of 2,613
Why Drop didn't made a sequel for this amp. It's kinda outdated right now. I wonder if it sells well.

I remember it sounding like a ghost. Light feet, ethereal, airy, neutral but smooth. Maybe sterile but not bright or harsh. Highly technical imo.

They should modernize it a bit and made a matching dac and cut the price. It would sell like hot cake.
Maybe because they dont see any reason to do it. Because they have other focus and priorities on other segment of the business. Also, I can tell they dislike competition. I mean why would you modernize your product when you have plethora of options in the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back