Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Dec 25, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #2,431 of 2,613
I didn’t love the 789 with any headphone. That is just me, and I know not the most popular viewpoint. I will say this, the amp is incredibly clean and powerful. My issue is that it lacks a bit of Je Ne Sais Quoi. The soundstage always felt compressed and lacked air, which made it feel like I couldn’t hear the space between the notes. There is no doubt it faithfully reproduces an amplified signal completely free of grain, hash or any hint of distortion. It is dead quiet.
The only headphones that I like with the 789 are my Meze Rai Penta IEMs.
My very first ever headphone amp from 2008 is leaps and bounds ahead of the 789 (Meier Corda Arietta). It is my current go-to with the Sennheiser HD800S.
The 789 is a flat piece of paper, the Arietta is an opened book - dimensionality, space, timbre are all enhanced.

Dec 25, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #2,432 of 2,613
Nice an SE out! Don't see those too often on CFA3s yeah? One thing I like and dislike at the same time about my Dynahi is the SE only nature of it. Keeps things simple and easy. I've noticed the Dynahi really likes a clean DAC though. The RME ADI-2 FS Dac does the trick perfectly. Much better than the Bifrost 2/Gungnir MB did in pairing.
Yeah, I had him out a SE output and also SE inputs on the back. The amp is pushing 16 watts into 50 ohms and I have a couple pretty efficient headphones that I feel benefit from less gain.

That is interesting on the DAC. The RME is a great DAC all around, so I can see why you like it. I am using the Pontus II with my headamps which I love. I had a TEAC UD-505 before the Pontus which is more similar to the RME than the Pontus.

Dec 25, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #2,433 of 2,613
The only headphones that I like with the 789 are my Meze Rai Penta IEMs.
My very first ever headphone amp from 2008 is leaps and bounds ahead of the 789 (Meier Corda Arietta). It is my current go-to with the Sennheiser HD800S.
The 789 is a flat piece of paper, the Arietta is an opened book - dimensionality, space, timbre are all enhanced.
agreed.

Dec 25, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #2,435 of 2,613
I quite liked using ZMF Aeolus with the 789 and a Bifrost 2. That quite what you seem to be saying would work.
Yeah, that is my opinion. Just one of many, though. Best part of the hobby is that we all like and hear different things.

Dec 30, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #2,438 of 2,613
Dec 30, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #2,439 of 2,613
I didn’t love the 789 with any headphone. That is just me, and I know not the most popular viewpoint. I will say this, the amp is incredibly clean and powerful. My issue is that it lacks a bit of Je Ne Sais Quoi. The soundstage always felt compressed and lacked air, which made it feel like I couldn’t hear the space between the notes. There is no doubt it faithfully reproduces an amplified signal completely free of grain, hash or any hint of distortion. It is dead quiet.

I would agree with the above sentiment that the Utopia wouldn’t be its optimal pairing. I did like the Quad Era-1 with the 789, and I also found the Alpha Prime to be a good pairing. Both headphones have extremely musical presentations. In my opinion, the 789 needs an R2R DAC and a headphone with a touch of warmth to balance out its analytical and sterile nature.
~ A step further…for digital sources, the THX AAA 789 needs an R2R DAC with tubes (or an R2R DAC plus an external tube buffer). Of the first, MHDT Labs DACs come to mind: Istanbul, Orchid, Pagoda. This is suggested only if one wants their reproduced music to be lifelike. If not,…🤷🏻.

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #2,440 of 2,613
~ A step further…for digital sources, the THX AAA 789 needs an R2R DAC with tubes (or an R2R DAC plus an external tube buffer). Of the first, MHDT Labs DACs come to mind: Istanbul, Orchid, Pagoda. This is suggested only if one wants their reproduced music to be lifelike. If not,…🤷🏻.
Agreed.

Feb 14, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #2,441 of 2,613

I would agree with the above sentiment that the Utopia wouldn’t be its optimal pairing. I did like the Quad Era-1 with the 789, and I also found the Alpha Prime to be a good pairing. Both headphones have extremely musical presentations. In my opinion, the 789 needs an R2R DAC and a headphone with a touch of warmth to balance out its analytical and sterile nature.

For the money, I have yet to hear a better amp. If my budget was $300 for an amp, that is what I would get.
I purchased the THX 789 for $200 during the end of year sale. I paired it with the Denafrips Ares II. Even with the R2R DAC I found the sound to be very harsh. I tried the setup with Focal Clear, LCD-2C, HD 6XX, and U12t's. I couldn't find any pairing that sounded good to my ears. What I'm trying to understand is why everyone raves about this amp? I also found that the single ended output was basically unusable. As harsh as the sound was coming out of the balanced output I will admit that the sound was very clean albeit fatiguing af. From the single ended output I still got a hard edged sound but the music was muddy to say the least. Simply put it sounded like garbage. Even at the discounted price of $200 I felt the amp was not worthwhile. I owned the Schiit Magnius for a short time which I purchased from the Schiit website for $200. That amp was leagues better than the 789 but for some reason 789 gets all the attention. What gives?

Feb 14, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #2,442 of 2,613
I purchased the THX 789 for $200 during the end of year sale. I paired it with the Denafrips Ares II. Even with the R2R DAC I found the sound to be very harsh. I tried the setup with Focal Clear, LCD-2C, HD 6XX, and U12t's. I couldn't find any pairing that sounded good to my ears. What I'm trying to understand is why everyone raves about this amp? I also found that the single ended output was basically unusable. As harsh as the sound was coming out of the balanced output I will admit that the sound was very clean albeit fatiguing af. From the single ended output I still got a hard edged sound but the music was muddy to say the least. Simply put it sounded like garbage. Even at the discounted price of $200 I felt the amp was not worthwhile. I owned the Schiit Magnius for a short time which I purchased from the Schiit website for $200. That amp was leagues better than the 789 but for some reason 789 gets all the attention. What gives?
I am sorry your experience was not good. I am not surprised/ I was trying to be diplomatic in my impressions. Hopefully you find your right amp. I would suggest going a bit deeper into amp tech, especially for the quality of your headphones. Not sure your budget, but the Singxer SDA-1 is quite good. The A90 is also very good, although I can’t work for that corporation. Also look at the Flux Labs stuff. They make great amps at all price ranges. Although they start a bit higher than the 789. The Pathos Aurium is also an amazing amp. For my ears the best $500 amp is the Headamp Gilmore Lite MK2. If you get the GRLV with it you will get an amazing chain for your wonderful headphones.

Feb 14, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #2,443 of 2,613
The distortion numbers are vanishingly low on the 789 which is in my opinion the reason the amp is so beloved.

I just read your page. Looks like you found two very capable amps for your system.

How is everything sounding now?

Feb 14, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #2,444 of 2,613
Hello guys had the Massdrop THX 789 purchased on 2019 so no more warranty, either way Drop CS sucks anyhow. Currently using alternative neutral amp. Does the THX 789 have short circuit over protection overdrive mode to protect the internal circuitry design if more voltage is added. For instance, running other amp PSU 30V 1.25A to the 789 24 V 1.8A.

For whatever reason, my THX 789 remains at red LED and does not turn white LED even after 30 minutes. It has never happened before though, and regardless whether it has overprotection circuit or not, I did use the stock 24 V 1.8A but does not turn white still remains at red. Then I tried other amp PSU 30V 1.25A to the 789 24 V 1.8A, still remains at red. Point is, I did use the stock PSU provided for THX 789 before I use other PSU which has higher voltage difference of 6V.

Is the Red LED not turning to white LED is a common dilemma for most people ? Quite odd.

Feb 14, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #2,445 of 2,613
If you actually tried the 30v power supply on the 24v amp, the damage may be lasting…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back