Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #1,861 of 2,613
@Sukotto85 The only thing I came up with was the $10 for the 4pin male connector here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BYE8R5G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I still need to buy a cable with a 4pin female connector to plug that part into the headphone, and the other end preferably would have a standard 4pin xlr but I can't find any cable like it. So, either I have to make one or buy an assortment of connecting cables and make sure the polaritys are correct.

Here's a reference https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-akg-k712-pro-support-and-impressions-thread.659251/page-233

I can't wait. I'll try the SE end of the 789 first, create the mod and experience the difference.

Hope that helps :]

Let me know how it goes :)

Nov 16, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #1,862 of 2,613
I've spent around 8 hours looking through forums and I am still no closer to making a decision!

So there's literally no point in getting a balanced dac for the 789? What about if I get a balanced tube amp in the future, would it then be a good idea to get balanced? Does a balanced dac truly make a difference in sound compared to a unbalanced dac when paired with a balanced amp? Another user suggested that it won't make any difference to the sound. After all the time I have spent reading into this subject, I am not closing to finding an answer. To be fair, the more I have looked in things the more confused I am. Why can't it be simple haha!
Well everyone hears differently, so the difference between balanced and SE is in the ear of the listener. IMO balanced makes a difference for long cable runs, and added power for inefficient HP's. I hear little sonic difference between the two, once the level is adjusted; louder balanced always seems better initially, but SE is just as good at the same level. Sometimes I think it is more about marketing than SQ. There is a lot of truly outstanding SE equipment out there. My Beyerdynamic A20 is a SE sleeper amp that drives my T1 and DT 1990 to perfection, one day I would like to try an A2. Another impressive piece of gear is the Grace Design m900 (Drop m9XX).

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #1,863 of 2,613
I've spent around 8 hours looking through forums and I am still no closer to making a decision!

So there's literally no point in getting a balanced dac for the 789? What about if I get a balanced tube amp in the future, would it then be a good idea to get balanced? Does a balanced dac truly make a difference in sound compared to a unbalanced dac when paired with a balanced amp? Another user suggested that it won't make any difference to the sound. After all the time I have spent reading into this subject, I am not closing to finding an answer. To be fair, the more I have looked in things the more confused I am. Why can't it be simple haha!

With the 789, a balanced source is a bit louder and blacker than a SE source, but the overall quality difference is very minimal. I suppose that would only be a concern if your headphones were either extremely efficient (audible hiss) or inefficient (not enough headroom).

One of the reasons I love the Airist RDAC with the 789 is it adds just enough smoothness and sweetness to an otherwise transparent and uncolored amp.

Nov 18, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #1,864 of 2,613
So there's literally no point in getting a balanced dac for the 789?
If your source is dual mono design you might get better results with XLR inputs. XLR output for headphones gives excellent results however. JDS Atom is better sounding amp for single ended headphone cables in my experience for less $ (I own both).

edit: Removed misinformation concerning XLR path op-amping.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #1,865 of 2,613
I'm getting a balanced DAC solely in case 10 years down the road I live in a place with a couch far away from the PC, where I can run long lengths of XLR cable from the DAC to the 789 and chill on the couch..

Nov 18, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #1,866 of 2,613
789 works best with single ended RCA inputs for source and balanced XLR output for headphones. XLR inputs have extra op-amps in the signal path. Of course if you get grounds loops or hum with RCA then XLR is preferrable option. Also if your source is dual mono design you might get better results with XLR inputs. JDS Atom is better sounding amp for single ended headphone cables in my experience (I own both).
789 has same # opamps in the signal path for XLR-in vs RCA-in.

Nov 18, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #1,868 of 2,613
789 works best with single ended RCA inputs for source and balanced XLR output for headphones. XLR inputs have extra op-amps in the signal path. Of course if you get grounds loops or hum with RCA then XLR is preferrable option. Also if your source is dual mono design you might get better results with XLR inputs. JDS Atom is better sounding amp for single ended headphone cables in my experience (I own both).

This is why it's so confusing. So you're saying I could've spent 1/4 of the cost and I would've got the same performance on single ended?

Here's a quote from Andrew Mason THX Ltd. Analog & Power Engineering Expert

"If using RCA or XLR input, regardless of gain setting, the output power specs remain unchanged. And for either RCA single-ended or XLR-3 balanced input, the XLR-4 output connector will produce a balanced output signal. i.e. if you use RCA input, we amplify your signal plus generate an inverted version to make the XLR-4 put out balanced audio - up to the full 6000mW if you're crazy like that."

Nov 18, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #1,869 of 2,613
I connected my SMSL SU-8 to the THX Via RCA & XLR at the same time since theres an input switch on the THX to swtich inputs.... Anyway the result was the sound was unsurprisingly the same but louder with XLR, If i had to put a number on it i'd say 3DB but technical people know what it actually is? To my ears about 3DB on Gain 1 & Gain 2. Nothing else. Output was Balanced to HD800 so you know if there was a difference it'd probably be audible.

Nov 18, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #1,870 of 2,613
I connected my SMSL SU-8 to the THX Via RCA & XLR at the same time since theres an input switch on the THX to swtich inputs.... Anyway the result was the sound was unsurprisingly the same but louder with XLR, If i had to put a number on it i'd say 3DB but technical people know what it actually is? To my ears about 3DB on Gain 1 & Gain 2. Nothing else. Output was Balanced to HD800 so you know if there was a difference it'd probably be audible.

Sounds about right. There shouldn't be a tonal difference between the two. One is just slightly louder than the other.

Nov 18, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #1,871 of 2,613
Why not read the specs? Here you go: https://drop.com/buy/drop-thx-aaa-789-linear-amplifier/details#details

Balanced Output
Gain: 0.66x , 2.0x, 6.6x (-4, +6, +16 dB), selectable via front switch
Single-Ended Output

Gain: 0.33x , 1.0x, 3.3x (-10, 0, +10 dB), selectable via front switch

So, the difference is 6 dB.

Nov 18, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #1,872 of 2,613
Nov 18, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #1,873 of 2,613
You are referring to output, not input like I am. But from memory going off specs yeah its still 6DB difference, Sounds like 3db though :p
Of course output. You heard the difference in the output and the input was the same source according to what you wrote. And the output is different.
Maybe the output of your source is different too. That's why you hear 3 dB difference instead of 6. You can find the specs of your source.

Nov 18, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #1,874 of 2,613
Call me crazy, but when I get my 789 on Friday I'll be up for testing potentially 3 power supplies. I believe the 3rd is regulated, not totally sure.

1)stock smps
2)My trusty CSI5003XE
csi5003xe.jpg

3)And the trusty eBay LPS. I have one in 5V already. Build quality is stellar.
s-l1600.jpg

If there are ZERO benefits from the CSI5003XE thennn I probably won't consider the black LPS. But we'll see. If there is a slight change in sound and for the better (blacker background, yadda yadda yadda) then I'll need to pickup the black LPS in 24V.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back