Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Dec 11, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #1,894 of 2,613
I am running my 789 with a 24v Linear 70 watt PSU with peak current 3 amp.. Sounds sweeter in the highs vs the standard SMPS PSU
But does the improvement justify the cost?

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #1,897 of 2,613
Or you could pick up this regulated linear supply like I have. Andrew recommends the LPS to be regulated. Just a heads up.

And, it's adjustable. So for the future you'll be able to use it with anything else you'd like to power with an LPS! It was actually my first LPS and I used it to power my Project Horizon hybrid tube amp @48V. If you guys want I'll take a pic of the inside. I've looked already and there's a nice size toroidal transformer in there :)

61JcavauMEL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Economical-B..._1_1?keywords=csi5003xe&qid=1576128642&sr=8-1

Dec 15, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #1,898 of 2,613
Switching back to the supplied SMPS, the difference isn't magnificent. So I think it really comes down to the design, of course, and in this case I think my recommendation is to get a very well designed LPS if you're planning to. At some point I will try the sbooster but my wallet can't handle that at this moment xD

Dec 16, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #1,899 of 2,613
Switching back to the supplied SMPS, the difference isn't magnificent. So I think it really comes down to the design, of course, and in this case I think my recommendation is to get a very well designed LPS if you're planning to. At some point I will try the sbooster but my wallet can't handle that at this moment xD
I have also decided at least for the time being to keep using the factory supplied psu. Perhaps more high end THX solutions will become available between the current entry level and Benchmark HPA4 price points.

Dec 26, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #1,900 of 2,613
Hi all... My wife just got me a 789 for the holidays. A couple questions for those willing to help me out...

My current set up is a Vinshine Reference R2R DAC into a Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2. I use RCAs because the Gilmore is SE. Therefore, I can only currently use the 789 SE. I need to purchase XLR cables for interconnects and my headphones if needed. Which leads to my 2 questions...

1. Do I need XLR interconnects to run from my Vinshine to the 789 in order to maximize the performance of the 789? I understand the amp is not a true balanced topology.
2. Does the Balanced headphone jack engage the full power and resolution of the amp without the XLR interconnects?

Thus far I have only used the amp SE and it sounds really good. However, I can hear a bit of speed loss versus my Gilmore. I expect that to change once I use the amp to its full affect. The sound is extremely clear. I can hear my Vinshine's incredible musicality. The Gilmore is an extremely capable little amp, and thus far I can't tell if the 789 is better or just different. What I can tell is that the 789 is extremely revealing of the source. I can't wait to hear the 789 balanced and then make a more informed decision on my system's future.

Thank you for answering my questions...

Dec 26, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #1,901 of 2,613
1. Do I need XLR interconnects to run from my Vinshine to the 789 in order to maximize the performance of the 789? I understand the amp is not a true balanced topology.
2. Does the Balanced headphone jack engage the full power and resolution of the amp without the XLR interconnects?
1. No.
2. Yes.
You can connect your DAC via SE and you headphones via balanced and get full benefits of the amp.

Dec 26, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #1,902 of 2,613
Thank you. In speaking with Alvin from Vinshine he says my DACs dynamic range will increase by using XLR interconnects. So, I am gonna give it a shot. I appreciate you answering my questions. Great to know RCAs will due.

Dec 27, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #1,903 of 2,613
I honestly believe the THX 789 needs a VERY good power supply to bring out the true nature of it. Or just a mains supply that delivers superb power. Of course I cannot set my answer in stone, but until I have both the stock smps power supply and either sbooster or some other grand power supply on hand, I will declare that I have not truly heard what it is capable of. Plus, I still need to get a DAC with solid XLR output.

Dec 27, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #1,904 of 2,613
Speaking of power supplies, does anyone have any experience hooking up the 789 to a different external power supply? Like the SGC 7V Linear Power Supply (15W) that is sold with the Sonore Microrendu? Curious whether the 789 even needs it... They also carry a 12V (50W) linear power supply. I could be completely overthinking this whole thing.

Thoughts?

Dec 27, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #1,905 of 2,613
At this moment im powering mine with a teradak dc-30 LPS. What i like about this LPS is the adjustable voltage. I actually stumbled on learning this amp could deliver 24V by accident. Ive adjusted it down to 5V but up to 24V was surprising.

Imo there is more definition and impact on lower frequencies but i cant be too sure on what exactly is happening. I just prefer it over the stock smps, simply.

1227191136.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back