Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Jan 14, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #1,036 of 2,613
I have tried the DX7S alone with its headphone amp. My cans all are pretty low impedance, so the DX7S does give the bass a bit of a boost/warm up the sound (well, with the exception of my planar Sundara). So I tend to avoid using the DX7S amp outputs.

My main rig is DX7s balanced into MD THX 789. Sounds great, though almost indistinguishable from my DX3Pro, or my Topping D50 into JDS Atom. DX3Pro and Atom SE outputs are enough for all my cans while the balanced output on the 789 has more power than any of my cans need.

As much as it would be nice to have the THX 789 I'm starting to think that buy an amp with "balanced" headphone out is overkill for me. I came across this post on Reddit by someone who has the HD6XX like I do (https://old.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/afonsy/balanced_confusion/). A few of the comments state that there is no distinguishable difference between balanced and SE headphone output. Even on SE my Aune X7S does seem overkill for my headphones as using either medium or high gain means I barely have to move the volume knob and it's too loud. I do notice a bit of difference in sound signature between balance and SE but I guess I have to decide if the difference justifies the cost of a headphone amp with an included "balance" output. I emailed Periapt about the loud microphonic noise I hear while using their XLR headphone cable and they said there is really nothing that can be done. So I basically wasted money on a cable I won't use due to the irritating microphonic noise. Pretty annoyed about that as the cable cost about $100 (Canadian) and it's not really a huge difference in how the music sounds. I had the Massdrop O2+SDAC but sold it in favour of the more expensive pairing of the SDAC and Aune X7S. Was it worth it? Honestly I'm not too sure any more.

Jan 14, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #1,037 of 2,613
As much as it would be nice to have the THX 789 I'm starting to think that buy an amp with "balanced" headphone out is overkill for me. I came across this post on Reddit by someone who has the HD6XX like I do (https://old.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/afonsy/balanced_confusion/). A few of the comments state that there is no distinguishable difference between balanced and SE headphone output. Even on SE my Aune X7S does seem overkill for my headphones as using either medium or high gain means I barely have to move the volume knob and it's too loud. I do notice a bit of difference in sound signature between balance and SE but I guess I have to decide if the difference justifies the cost of a headphone amp with an included "balance" output. I emailed Periapt about the loud microphonic noise I hear while using their XLR headphone cable and they said there is really nothing that can be done. So I basically wasted money on a cable I won't use due to the irritating microphonic noise. Pretty annoyed about that as the cable cost about $100 (Canadian) and it's not really a huge difference in how the music sounds. I had the Massdrop O2+SDAC but sold it in favour of the more expensive pairing of the SDAC and Aune X7S. Was it worth it? Honestly I'm not too sure any more.
Yeah, I certainly feel you there!! I honestly am uncertain I could tell the difference between my various SE and balanced amp headphone outputs (other than the DX7S outputs given it’s high output impedance) if the test was done unsighted and volume matched to a good listening level.

If you have high impedance, or planar, headphones I think your X7S will do well for you!

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #1,038 of 2,613
Yeah, I certainly feel you there!! I honestly am uncertain I could tell the difference between my various SE and balanced amp headphone outputs (other than the DX7S outputs given it’s high output impedance) if the test was done unsighted and volume matched to a good listening level.

If you have high impedance, or planar, headphones I think your X7S will do well for you!

Well the HD6XX is 300Ohm impedance. But I don't have any planar headphones. At least not yet. I've got to find another place that makes balance headphone cables. The Periapt one isn't doing it for me. Perhaps once the THX 789 drops again I'll splurge on it just in case I care to go balance again down the road. It may match better with my Grace SDAC since both are made by Massdrop. Plus they would look better together on my desk.

Jan 14, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #1,040 of 2,613

Balanced amps are solely for more power. Yes there's the noise cancellation but unless you have a ton of electrical noise induced into your cables due to your location, it's very likely most won't reap this benefit. With more power, some cans will hugely benefit, others just a bit. Many times its that 5% increase in quality in subtlties like bass texture, less splashy essentially, better driver control, much like speakers. Many times, if you want the appearance of more bass, more power might not be good. It's all in taste. To some that extra stretch is worth it, too others, no way.

Microphonics in cables depends on the cables and unfortunately, I don't think this always corresponds to price. This is a big time can of worms. I'll leave it at that though I'll say, get a pure material and good construction and test for micrphonics.

The HD650/HD6XX is also a "special" headphone in that it scales like crazy and needs to synergize with its chain. This is why many people don't like it. I think lots of power helps (balanced) but something with tubes either hybrid or OTL does wonders. I like my HD6XX out of the THX AAA 789 but then I heard them out of a MCTH and I think they sound better. I didn't demo them long but I'm fairly certain they sound better and with less power.

I don't want to hype a chain but I've heard this about the HD6XX multiple times and I think for this reason, it's a polarizing headphone. Funny, you can get them cheap but they don't sound good unless you have a synergistic chain. I didn't listen to mine for a year until I got some gear I enjoyed them with. For instance, straight out of a Grace m9XX, they are less than stellar. The 400i which many consider the planar competition, also require lots of power but I think sounds better with more gear and are less finicky on synergism. They don't scale like the HD6XX, but how far do you want to go for a single headphone?

Jan 14, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #1,041 of 2,613
I was involved in the first drop I have serial 00440 number on this amp have been loving it and it just died with pop and red light only display. I no something shorted out since there was a burnt smell.

I was fortunate didn't blow a driver in my Auteur's when I was listening to it.

Will be contacting Mass Drop for a replacement.

I hope the second unit will last longer.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #1,042 of 2,613
I was involved in the first drop I have serial 00440 number on this amp have been loving it and it just died with pop and red light only display. I no something shorted out since there was a burnt smell.

I was fortunate didn't blow a driver in my Auteur's when I was listening to it.

Will be contacting Mass Drop for a replacement.

I hope the second unit will last longer.
Did you have two headphones, SE and balanced, plugged in at the same time when it happened by any chance?

Jan 14, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #1,044 of 2,613
Balanced amps are solely for more power. Yes there's the noise cancellation but unless you have a ton of electrical noise induced into your cables due to your location, it's very likely most won't reap this benefit. With more power, some cans will hugely benefit, others just a bit. Many times its that 5% increase in quality in subtlties like bass texture, less splashy essentially, better driver control, much like speakers. Many times, if you want the appearance of more bass, more power might not be good. It's all in taste. To some that extra stretch is worth it, too others, no way.

Microphonics in cables depends on the cables and unfortunately, I don't think this always corresponds to price. This is a big time can of worms. I'll leave it at that though I'll say, get a pure material and good construction and test for micrphonics.

The HD650/HD6XX is also a "special" headphone in that it scales like crazy and needs to synergize with its chain. This is why many people don't like it. I think lots of power helps (balanced) but something with tubes either hybrid or OTL does wonders. I like my HD6XX out of the THX AAA 789 but then I heard them out of a MCTH and I think they sound better. I didn't demo them long but I'm fairly certain they sound better and with less power.

I don't want to hype a chain but I've heard this about the HD6XX multiple times and I think for this reason, it's a polarizing headphone. Funny, you can get them cheap but they don't sound good unless you have a synergistic chain. I didn't listen to mine for a year until I got some gear I enjoyed them with. For instance, straight out of a Grace m9XX, they are less than stellar. The 400i which many consider the planar competition, also require lots of power but I think sounds better with more gear and are less finicky on synergism. They don't scale like the HD6XX, but how far do you want to go for a single headphone?
+1

Jan 14, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #1,045 of 2,613

Seems like going balanced is more pain than gain. Perhaps I should have just stuck with my Micca Origen+ DAC/amp and called it a day. This hobby is certainly a pricy one. LOL

Jan 14, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #1,046 of 2,613
I agree! The reason for my post was I got a little miffed for being called a weirdo because I was using a THX 789 with a Yggy. I absolutely love the THX, in fact I have two of them. It is an awesome amplifier and is likely gonna keep me very happy for quite a while.

I was thinking the same thing? I run my THX 789 with a DAC3 B. The THX 789 has permanently replaced my Burson Conductor V2. It has as much power, has less grain, and reveals more of the details of the recordings, good or bad. I pair with ATH W5000s, Mr Speakers Aeon closed, or LCD XCs. I think the THX 789 is an improvement over the Burson with all 3 pairs.

Sean

Jan 15, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #1,047 of 2,613
I am using Z1R,A2000Z,Z7,TH-X00,SRH-1840. They sound weird on my 789.

The mid-range (vocal) image is excessively wide and big.I can feel a huge mouth in a close range.
In some tracks it covered over 80 degrees field of view.

This sound signature is special.
And none review I seen mention it.

Does anyone notice this sound signature?
Or there is a chance I got a ****ed up unit?

DAC: N-70A M9XX ADI-2 DAC(Borrowed)
other AMPS: Jotunhiem,GUSTARD H20(Borrowed), Pro iCAN(Borrowed)

Occurs on SE and BAL in/out
And audible at my friend's place and ear :p.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #1,048 of 2,613

I was thinking the same thing? I run my THX 789 with a DAC3 B. The THX 789 has permanently replaced my Burson Conductor V2. It has as much power, has less grain, and reveals more of the details of the recordings, good or bad. I pair with ATH W5000s, Mr Speakers Aeon closed, or LCD XCs. I think the THX 789 is an improvement over the Burson with all 3 pairs.

Sean
How well do the Aeon Closed pair with the THX? I recently picked up a set and am so far enjoying them with the Liquid Carbon X, but I'm very interested in buying the THX.

Jan 15, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #1,049 of 2,613
How well do the Aeon Closed pair with the THX?
As well as any of the others. The planars seem to benefit most from the lack of distortion. The W5000's seem to benefit from that as well, but mostly from a what seems to me to be more power /accurate driver control at lower frequencies. I get more lower bass (<100Hz) from the W5000's than I've ever heard. I can confirm with low frequency tones from a tone generator. I can clearly hear tones down to 30Hz which I couldn't on the Burson. "Clean and dynamic", that is my best description of this amp--it is just as clean/clear at low volumes (which most amps actually are) and stays that way as volume is increased so that I can go louder and maintain fidelity. This all brings me closer to a live performance atmosphere.

Sean

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #1,050 of 2,613
I am using Z1R,A2000Z,Z7,TH-X00,SRH-1840. They sound weird on my 789.

The mid-range (vocal) image is excessively wide and big.I can feel a huge mouth in a close range.
In some tracks it covered over 80 degrees field of view.

This sound signature is special.
And none review I seen mention it.

Does anyone notice this sound signature?
Or there is a chance I got a ****ed up unit?

DAC: N-70A M9XX ADI-2 DAC(Borrowed)
other AMPS: Jotunhiem,GUSTARD H20(Borrowed), Pro iCAN(Borrowed)

Occurs on SE and BAL in/out
And audible at my friend's place and ear :p.
Could you please let me know how does H20 compare and how do you like it in general? What would be its strongest point? Is it stock OPA?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back