Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #1,006 of 2,613
My mentor taught me never argue from extremes... If someone expects a $350 amp to drive HE6 like a boss even I'd be skeptical.. But of course one has own opinion so if his expectation of a $350 amp to outperform those cost many times more... Then the ground for argument becomes much thinner imo...

Jan 13, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #1,010 of 2,613
Is that the unbalaned Grace Sdac? No wonder you don't here any discernable difference, though I found a new cable improved my Hd600 sound quality and your amp is probably only more efficient out of XLR, other than that it shouldn't make much difference. You can correct me on the Dac if I'm wrong, but to my understanding it's rare than amps sound quite different out each port like I've heard the LCX does.

Far as the cable microphonics go, the periapt cable I got off massdrop for my hd600 doesn't have any, though it's kinda hefty. Get another cable? :ksc75smile:

Yes it is the unbalance Grace SDAC. The more I swap back and forth the more I do notice a difference. Balance definitely seems more open and more forward. Especially in vocals. SE seems more suppressed in comparison. Not sure which I like better. I didn't know Massdrop sold the Periapt cable though it likely wouldn't make a difference. Yes it does seem to add some heft to my headphones so I feel a bit more pressure on the top of my head as the added weight pulls the headphones down. What other places sells the balance XLR cable?

Jan 13, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #1,011 of 2,613
It might not make any audible difference, ut the Aune x7s is actually less clean when running balanced vs se. That is at least what measurements indicate. I was close to getting one on a drop, but canceled when i found this out. Probably does not make any difference, but ocd worries kicked in.

Not sure if it's "less clean" though I don't know how I would be able to notice. But with balanced the sound seems more open and things like vocals being more forward. The Sennheiser "veil" seems to be gone or at least diminished.

Jan 13, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #1,012 of 2,613
Yes it is the unbalance Grace SDAC. The more I swap back and forth the more I do notice a difference. Balance definitely seems more open and more forward. Especially in vocals. SE seems more suppressed in comparison. Not sure which I like better. I didn't know Massdrop sold the Periapt cable though it likely wouldn't make a difference. Yes it does seem to add some heft to my headphones so I feel a bit more pressure on the top of my head as the added weight pulls the headphones down. What other places sells the balance XLR cable?

I'm glad that you are able to discern a difference. It's a bummer when the numbers don't translate to better real world performance. I'm not too certain about other XLR cables. The Massdrop cable deal was limited and came in early December, I simply joined because of the great savings. Fanmusic cables (hd6xx series) frequent Massdrop about once a month (they just had one) ,but the periapt drop was great because they had support for several cable types like hd700 and hd800 (maybe iems too..).

Jan 13, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #1,015 of 2,613
I run my Yggy into my THX! Even more shocking is I LOVE THE WAY IT SOUNDS!! The Yggy is a very good DAC, the THX is a very good amp.

Done.

:ksc75smile:

What is a Yggy??

Jan 13, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #1,018 of 2,613
Schiit Yggdrasil, а VERY expensive DAC.

Just looked it up. Damn that's expensive. I could never afford that. Is it really that much better than a DAC costing under $200??

Jan 13, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #1,020 of 2,613
It's audio. Nothing is really THAT much better.

Well my setup does well enough for me even if I am still considering the THX 789. If that amp is as great as people say than it likely would be "end game" for me. Perhaps upgrade the DAC at some point but that may not be necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back