Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #841 of 2,613
I can second the LCD-X recommendation via 4pin XLR.
Yeahup.. The balanced cable is my next purchase and likely Dekoni hybrid pads.. Because I cant stand leather.. Okay at the moment but spring/summer.. Wouldnt even be able to use the headphones.

Dec 30, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #844 of 2,613
can anyone with access to balanced setup play james blake limit to your love https://tidal.com/track/5256198 without grenading your headphones past 1 oclock? looking for a bassy headphone better than sennheiser or focal....

For what it's worth, I'm using a pair of HE-1000s (v1) with a MOON Audio Black Dragon balanced cable and I can bury the needle (at max gain) on that track without any audible distortion.

Now, my ears would rather I not listen that loud for more than a long stretch, but i don't hear any obvious clipping or other distortion. Deep, taut bass there. But not overdone relative to the overall soundscape. They aren't "bassy" headphones by any stretch... but they play what they're given well.

Dec 30, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #845 of 2,613
If you want headphones with perfect bass, then you will not find any better than Audeze. I love my LCD2C.

Well, in my taste they are too bassy) It's always better to have a listen before buying. I thought I would like them from reading forums but real listening in a shop shown that I don't like the way they make all sound become dark and boomy. It's a pity as I liked some details they reveal in mids.

Dec 31, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #847 of 2,613
in confused. i got my second unit today and its serial number 98?? i find it a bit odd after all the ones they have sold to have such a low serial number unit come to me. the case also has a good bow in in on top where the back plate is screwed onto the main top. the top bulges way down in the middle of the unit its instantly noticeable. and this selector switch on II is now sitting at like 10 o clock vs the other one i have where its at 1-2oclock. the finish is almost flawless minus a small very very tiny nick on a bottom corner where you can see the silver color under the black. the only thing that really bothers me is the bow on top it looks just bad. and the #98 serial is confusing to me. after they have sold so many of them.

note my other unit is flawless as far as i can tell minus the selector knob being off a bit. and i love this amp so ill be keeping it. just was like how the heck did i get number 98?

Seems like a dud or a returned unit or something. Should definitely contact Massdrop.

Dec 31, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #848 of 2,613
Purchased this unit from fellow Head-fier few days ago and I'm pretty amazed what you get for sub $350,it pushes my iFi IESL with ease , Gain III at noon is as loud I would like -LCD-2 at the end
Sounds great

Jan 1, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #852 of 2,613
So as a total newbie what would be the reasons to consider this amp (have to add a dac as well) over the Schiit Jot w/ internal dac?

I was turned onto this amp by its initial Massdrop specs, then the verification measurements by Audio Science Review. People but amps for sound signature and power to drive headphones with plenty of power for dampening. We can all calculate the minimum power to make a headphone perform to a certain volume but I believe there are other factors in the transients that don't present themselves with those basic equations. Essentially, I like to have the extra power on hand to better control drivers and handle transients.

This amp has plenty of power in SE and balanced, has a "get out of the way" or "wire with a gain" signature which for me is desired because I like to isolate the sound of my headphone and DAC.

That being said, I do have a Liquid Carbon which has a warm signature for pairing reasons when needed.

The THX AAA 789 balanced output appeals to me for harder to drive headphones, it's non harsh yet neutral signature appeals to me (as I found the O2 cold, clinical and edgy), it's 3 gain settings allow it to work with a range of headphones and best of all, it's performance to cost ratio is outstanding IMO.

This is a good option for a high powered neutral solid state which I think would require a bit more investment to get something better performing which may not even be needed. Essentially, this could be an end game amp for many. These are exciting times as gear of this quality at this price widely available is a treat that people like me have been waiting for, for quite some time.

I can't compare this to the Jotunheim, but in my reading, I've had to many concerns with some impressions and the engineering with the Jotunheim and some other Schiit products. Many people love them and that's fine, I just feel, with them, the devil is in the details.

Jan 1, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #853 of 2,613
So does anyone have any idea on when this Amp will be dropped again?? I may actually join this time around.

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #855 of 2,613
So does anyone have any idea on when this Amp will be dropped again?? I may actually join this time around.

Alas, during the last drop, which lasted a little more than a day, representatives of the company said that next drop will take much longer as the would need to produce a new batch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back