Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #811 of 2,613
Does THX has enough power to driver LCD-2Cs? audeze recommends and amp which has power between 1 to 4 watts. And is there sound quality difference ( like: cleaner, bass, treble, midrange, soundstage) using this in Balanced inputs and outputs, even though this is not truly balanced amp?
It gets too loud for the LCD-2C using balanced. More than enough power. And really good synergy. Bass is extended and clean.

Dec 29, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #812 of 2,613
It gets too loud for the LCD-2C using balanced. More than enough power. And really good synergy. Bass is extended and clean.
So there is no audible difference in sound signature between balanced and single ended in thx apart from the loudness?
Could you recommend a good r2r dac to pair with lcd2c & thx? Thinking Soekris dac1321 would be good , I've heard Soekris dacs sound accurate / neutral.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #813 of 2,613
So there is no audible difference in sound signature between balanced and single ended in thx apart from the loudness?
Could you recommend a good r2r dac to pair with lcd2c & thx? Thinking Soekris dac1321 would be good , I've heard Soekris dacs sound accurate / neutral.
My ear can't tell any difference between SE and balanced. Dont worry too much abt it.

I haven't tried the DAC1321. I tried the DAC1541, and really liked it. Neutral, detailed.

I'm using Mimby at the moment and I love the pair with the 789 and 2C.

Dec 29, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #815 of 2,613
Does THX has enough power to driver LCD-2Cs? audeze recommends and amp which has power between 1 to 4 watts. And is there sound quality difference ( like: cleaner, bass, treble, midrange, soundstage) using this in Balanced inputs and outputs, even though this is not truly balanced amp?

The thx has 6 watts at 30 ohms in balanced. The lcd2c is 70 ohm and at that impedance the thx should still have around 3 watts at least.

Dec 29, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #817 of 2,613
How does the input selector work on this amp? I'm wondering if I can keep 3 sets of cans connected and use the selector to cycle through them so I need need to swap plugs.
The input selector chooses between the RCA and XLR inputs from a source on the back panel. It has nothing at all to do with the front panel headphone outputs. BTW, you'd have to check but I think I read that only one headphone output is usable at a time.

Dec 29, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #818 of 2,613
How does the input selector work on this amp? I'm wondering if I can keep 3 sets of cans connected and use the selector to cycle through them so I need need to swap plugs.

The input selector is just a momentary switch that toggles between single-ended and balanced inputs. It won’t help you swap between cans.

It sounds like you’re asking about the output selector, though... of which there is none. I’ve tested having both SE and Balanced outputs driven (two sets of cans attached at the same time) and I don’t hear any loss of signal (no apparent volume change) when the second pair is inserted or removed, and all of the cans are driven simultaneously. So, no need to “switch” beyond putting them on.

Dec 29, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #820 of 2,613
Output works on both single ended at once.. As far as I know.. Dont know if balanced and se work together.. But I think it splits the power so when more than one is plugged.. You get less power to each

Dec 29, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #821 of 2,613
Output works on both single ended at once.. As far as I know.. Dont know if balanced and se work together.. But I think it splits the power so when more than one is plugged.. You get less power to each

You can listen to all three at once, but one should calculate the resistances of all headphones in parallel and make sure that the resulting resistance is not below the minimum allowed threshold of the amplifier, otherwise, that might be damaging.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...hUKEwi_162c-8XfAhWLY1AKHULKDEwQ9QEwAHoECAoQBg

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #822 of 2,613
Dec 29, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #823 of 2,613
The input selector chooses between the RCA and XLR inputs from a source on the back panel. It has nothing at all to do with the front panel headphone outputs. BTW, you'd have to check but I think I read that only one headphone output is usable at a time.

You can use all three at once if desired. The only time it is practical to compare HPs is if they are the same efficiency otherwise you will need to be adjusting the gain/volume, and not much point in comparing balanced to single ended because that output is already at least twice the power of the SE.

Dec 29, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #824 of 2,613
How Ether 2 sounds with THX?

Using the Ether 2 with the m9XX as dac/amp compared to m9XX dac/THX (SE) amp, the m9XX does not disappoint. Mids and highs are comparable, subbass and bass on THX have more control and are tighter giving slight impression of less quantity, but it's really about the same with just more control, less bloom. Impact is about the same.

Really interested in trying these balanced but I don't have a cable.

Keep in mind, imo the m9XX does really well with planars. I might need something like an Autuer or HD6XX for a better comparison. You can go either way with the E2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back