Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Dec 28, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #796 of 2,613
Im not a fan of eq/dsp for headphones as the boost will probably be too much at the wrong frequency. I would have to know the frequency response to +/- 1 or 2 db's before I would consider it. I guess at low volumes might be of some help but Im not "the guy" to recommend eq.
Any good r2r dac to match with thx? Thinking Soekris dac1321 is good with this. Have heard Soekris dacs are very analytical/ accurate than schiit multibit or denafrips ares

Dec 28, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #797 of 2,613
The earpads I have are the Dekoni Fenestrated lamskin ones. The main reason I changed pads was for comfort, as I fing the stock ones a bit itchy. The new pads are very close to the stock ones, but might have a tad more bass. The treble seems about the same to me.

I've found the treble reproduction of the thx to be kind of confusing to be honest. I'll use the 400i with it as a example like you wanted. When I turn the eq off and just use the 400i with balanced out and the source is the D50, the sound is 'brighter' than say the Asgard 2 was at the same volume level. The Asgard 2 btw is considered by many and myself to be a warmer amp. But the strange thing is that even though I hear more treble information in the thx than the Asgard, the Asgard is much more harsh and fatiguing than the thx. This is the strange thing. I'm someone who typically hates bright amps and headphones, but with the thx in the chain, even 'bright' pairings don't bother me as much. I still prefer to eq the 400i as I think it needs a sub bass and mid bass boost as well as a slight dip in treble to sound just right to me, but if I had to pick between the two amps without eq, I think i would still use the thx with the 400i over the Asgard 2.

So while i think eq definitely helps the 400i shine to my personal tastes, its still going to pair pretty well imo with the 400i in stock form, especially if you like hearing all the little details that might get lost in more hazy amps like the Asgard 2. I hope this helps you. Also I've found the loki to be a match made in heaven for the 400i no matter what amp I use. Its almost mandatory now that I have the loki in a chain when using the 400i. Its made the 400i go from my least favorite relatively 'high end' headphone to my second favorite, just shy of my Audeze lcd2c. That imo is a big achievement.

I have found my 789s to be accurate and seemingly very low in distortion which helps with clean treble. I also agree with you on the use of a Loki. I have two 789s that I use daily and each has a Loki sitting on top.

Dec 28, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #798 of 2,613
Has anyone here compared the THX 789 to the other Massdrop offerings like the LCX or LCX + SDAC or the CTH tube amp?

Dec 28, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #799 of 2,613
Then if i'm ok with using eq, THX is the better choice, right? since it doesn't have a particular sound coloration I can use eq and configure it to my liking better than Gilmore lite, am I correct?
THX with EQ (e.g. Loki) is NOT a superset of other amps (like Gilmore Lite in your question).
With EQ one could change (to some degree) lows / mids / highs, but certain amps (like the Gilmore) have this magical synergy with specific headphones, and that cannot be recreated with EQ :wink:
Same goes to smooth vs. sharp sound - an amp cannot be "sharpened" or "smoothed" with EQ.

Bottom line: if one could buy 1 very accurate amp and 1 EQ and "emulate" any other amp in the market - that would be the end of this hobby as we all know it :)

Dec 28, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #800 of 2,613
THX with EQ (e.g. Loki) is NOT a superset of other amps (like Gilmore Lite in your question).
With EQ one could change (to some degree) lows / mids / highs, but certain amps (like the Gilmore) have this magical synergy with specific headphones, and that cannot be recreated with EQ :wink:
Same goes to smooth vs. sharp sound - an amp cannot be "sharpened" or "smoothed" with EQ.

Bottom line: if one could buy 1 very accurate amp and 1 EQ and "emulate" any other amp in the market - that would be the end of this hobby as we all know it :)
Oh I'm considering this to keep as my main audio system, definitely not as a hobby, because I don't have budget to consider this as a hobby or buy multiple headphones or amps.

I selected Audeze LCD-2C as the headphone so I thought selecting an amp with neutral/ accurate sound would be a good pairing. I totally new to this headphone game. If Gilmore lite is great with LCD-2C I would definitely consider that.

Dec 28, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #801 of 2,613

Oh I'm considering this to keep as my main audio system, definitely not as a hobby, because I don't have budget to consider this as a hobby or buy multiple headphones or amps.

I selected Audeze LCD-2C as the headphone so I thought selecting an amp with neutral/ accurate sound would be a good pairing. I totally new to this headphone game. If Gilmore lite is great with LCD-2C I would definitely consider that.

Dec 28, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #802 of 2,613

I have a pretty decent range of amps from the magni 3, jds labs el amp Schiit asgard 2 and the thx. I've also got the lcd2c and the thx is by far my favorite amp with them and that pairing with balanced cable is also my favorite out of all the setups I own. If I had to live with only one it would be that pair. The Asgard 2 is also a class A amp like the Gilmore lite, but i've never heard the gilmore and from what i've read the gilmore is brighter. I'm not sure where that would put the gilmore if its brighter than the asgard, but warmer than the thx, but its not going to be that much of a difference in tonality in that case. I think the thx has much more potential than the gilmore as it has the most features, versatility, power and the cleanest output.

Dec 28, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #803 of 2,613
20181228_130043.jpg

I am rolling through amps and headphones today and the THX AAA 789 does not disappoint, even sounds great with the HD6XX. I was very worried the THX AAA 789 would sound like a super O2 as I find that amp cold, clinical, non-musical. It does not and surprisingly, has great control across all frequencies. It's musical, accurate, and handles highs well. I went for the 789 over the Gilmore Lite MkII because of the ASR review, the idea of gain on a wire and the fact that it's balanced with 3 gain settings so at a cheaper price, I felt it covered all bases and more with its added power (for me) that the Gilmore would have.

If I get a chance in the future, I would certainly audition the Gilmore but I will say, it would be in steep company.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #804 of 2,613

My suggestion, if you can afford to financially, is to buy both Gilmore and THX (with the intention of selling the one you like less).
I think you'd lose approx. $100 on selling the other amp as used on the FS forum here.
So, if you consider $100 a fair price for audition at home for as long as you like, making sure you end up with your favorite amp - go for it :wink:

Dec 28, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #805 of 2,613
Dec 28, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #807 of 2,613
It’s safe, but way too expensive.
I have invested in a AQ Niagara 1000 mains power cleaner so might bee worth it for me, but this amp allready has so low distortion so maybe it dont need any cleaning.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #808 of 2,613
I have a pretty decent range of amps from the magni 3, jds labs el amp Schiit asgard 2 and the thx. I've also got the lcd2c and the thx is by far my favorite amp with them and that pairing with balanced cable is also my favorite out of all the setups I own. If I had to live with only one it would be that pair. The Asgard 2 is also a class A amp like the Gilmore lite, but i've never heard the gilmore and from what i've read the gilmore is brighter. I'm not sure where that would put the gilmore if its brighter than the asgard, but warmer than the thx, but its not going to be that much of a difference in tonality in that case. I think the thx has much more potential than the gilmore as it has the most features, versatility, power and the cleanest output.
Does THX has enough power to driver LCD-2Cs? audeze recommends and amp which has power between 1 to 4 watts. And is there sound quality difference ( like: cleaner, bass, treble, midrange, soundstage) using this in Balanced inputs and outputs, even though this is not truly balanced amp?

Dec 28, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #809 of 2,613

I am rolling through amps and headphones today and the THX AAA 789 does not disappoint, even sounds great with the HD6XX. I was very worried the THX AAA 789 would sound like a super O2 as I find that amp cold, clinical, non-musical. It does not and surprisingly, has great control across all frequencies. It's musical, accurate, and handles highs well. I went for the 789 over the Gilmore Lite MkII because of the ASR review, the idea of gain on a wire and the fact that it's balanced with 3 gain settings so at a cheaper price, I felt it covered all bases and more with its added power (for me) that the Gilmore would have.

If I get a chance in the future, I would certainly audition the Gilmore but I will say, it would be in steep company.
How Ether 2 sounds with THX?

Dec 29, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #810 of 2,613
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back