Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #676 of 2,613
ok...maybe fedex off...just relaying the info I have available.

Yeah...when massdrop says they shipped they most likely send you that notice when the label is printed...but nothing physical went out. Which in turns sends a notice to FedEx letting you (and me, I did expedited as well) that they received the shipping info, maybe even actually have it on hand but not quite sent out. Even UPS has something coming for me saying it was supposed to on my doorstep on Wednesday when it was shipped Tuesday. I'm still waiting.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #677 of 2,613
well if I dont post again tonight, means I didnt receive it like fedex says. my 1st massdrop, so I have no idea how they ship

Dec 21, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #678 of 2,613
I expect them monday or wednesday. Massdrop is good at sending them out its just the accuracy of these shipping tracking sites can be downright laughable. Having said that...they aren't as inaccurate as USPS

Dec 21, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #679 of 2,613
well it is what it is....
Marriah D. (Massdrop Community Support)

Dec 21, 6:49 PM PST

Hi Jeff,

Marriah here. Thank you for contacting Massdrop Community Support. I apologize if your tracking information has not yet updated to show your order was shipped. I would be happy to provide more information.

I do show that the package was shipped yesterday and tracking indicates that it should be delivered today. You can reference this

That being said, as I understand you have not yet received your package, I am happy to refund the cost of the express shipping you paid for. You should see this $15.00 refund in 3-5 business days.

Please allow some additional time for the package to arrive, as it is likely still on its way for you. Thank you for your understanding. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best Wishes,
Marriah

Dec 21, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #681 of 2,613
Yeah. Massdrop service has been solid since I have started using them. Googlad to hear you dig them. My most recent fed ex update says it comes in Monday

Dec 21, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #682 of 2,613
it probably wouldnt even be a thing if not during xmas holiday...living in a large city with high crime....not being home for deliveries is a thing.

Dec 21, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #683 of 2,613
If you have a fed ex store by you , you can have them send it there to pick up yourself if security is a concern. I did that for a guitar since no one would have been home to sign for it.

Dec 22, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #684 of 2,613
If you have a fed ex store by you , you can have them send it there to pick up yourself if security is a concern. I did that for a guitar since no one would have been home to sign for it.
Unfortunately, FedEx website not always cooperating on this one... speaking from experience as of this past week!
Had a happy ending personally, but was very anxious since FedEx website wouldn't let me change to a FedEx location (located less than 1/4 mile from my place).

Dec 22, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #685 of 2,613
If this is not truly balanced, then there is no true benefit of providing a balanced headphone connection except the high power. Am I correct?
truly balanced amps normally have better noise rejection but it's sad to see such a wonderful amp doesn't use that features even it has balanced input and balanced headphone out.

Dec 22, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #686 of 2,613
Hey guys, I also joined the drop and got my shipping notification.

In the mean time, I need to figure out which DAC to use or purchase. Has anyone here tried to use one of those portable DAC/amps as the DAC for the THX 789? I have the Sony PHA-3 and Chord Mojo sitting around doing nothing at the moment. I may just purchase a decent 3.5 mm to RCA cable and hook it up with Mojo/PHA-3 to pair with the 789 for starters.

I'm also interested to hear if anyone has tried to use a Chord Qutest with the 789.

Dec 22, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #687 of 2,613
If this is not truly balanced, then there is no true benefit of providing a balanced headphone connection except the high power. Am I correct?
truly balanced amps normally have better noise rejection but it's sad to see such a wonderful amp doesn't use that features even it has balanced input and balanced headphone out.

I'm pretty sure it still provides all the audible benefits of fully balanced including the noise reduction, otherwise why would the specs on the info sheet change from se to balanced. Just look at the crosstalk specs between the two. The developer has addressed this question a few times already. They felt the added cost of fully balanced did not transmit into enough of a performance gain to make it worthwhile. I'm glad they did what they did as we get to have an amazing sounding amp for much lower than others.

Dec 22, 2018 at 4:55 AM Post #689 of 2,613
Hey guys, I also joined the drop and got my shipping notification.

In the mean time, I need to figure out which DAC to use or purchase. Has anyone here tried to use one of those portable DAC/amps as the DAC for the THX 789? I have the Sony PHA-3 and Chord Mojo sitting around doing nothing at the moment. I may just purchase a decent 3.5 mm to RCA cable and hook it up with Mojo/PHA-3 to pair with the 789 for starters.

I'm also interested to hear if anyone has tried to use a Chord Qutest with the 789.
I've been using my mojo as a dac with it for awhile now and bass is a bit anemic imo, ymmv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back