Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Dec 22, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #692 of 2,613
Aright...I just ordered one! I hope I like it. Its weird... the site said it is in stock and will ship within one business day. But, at check out is says it will ship on Dec 25th. Are they not counting Friday the 21st or Monday the 24th as business days?? Plus the are shipping it on a non-business day?

I buy a lot off of Massdrop, and shipping is by far their weakest point. They miss dates, and if you do receive an email that your item has shipped, it really means that the label has been printed. I've purchased items with expedited shipping that have had the label printed next day, but the carrier doesn't receive the item for four more days....two days after the delivery date in the email. Standard shipping will drive many crazy watching something meander across the country, even sit for a day or two before finally being delivered.

Dec 22, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #693 of 2,613
Dec 22, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #695 of 2,613
Dec 22, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #697 of 2,613
That's actually one of the dacs I've been considering...hmmm
version 2 of that dac is out now and its even better rhan the d50 as far as measurements go if that is something you put lots of stock in. I’ve got v1 and its noticeably brighter and has more bass and seperation than my d50 when using balanced with my thx 789. If you want a balanced dac its the best you will find other than the rme adi 2 dac which is 1k+

Dec 22, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #699 of 2,613
Dec 22, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #700 of 2,613
Dac suggestion in the $300-$400 range? Please no schiit products, I've heard alot of them and I'm not a fan.
You've heard a lot "of them" but not "them". Unless you have some political or religious reasons not to go with Schiit I'd suggest trying their Modi Multibit. It sounds noticeably better than my AKM or Sabre DACs. I am only writing this because it seems you never tried multibit/R2R DACs. That other multibit DAC from Massdrop mentioned earlier may also be good if not better.

Dec 22, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #702 of 2,613
You've heard a lot "of them" but not "them". Unless you have some political or religious reasons not to go with Schiit I'd suggest trying their Modi Multibit. It sounds noticeably better than my AKM or Sabre DACs. I am only writing this because it seems you never tried multibit/R2R DACs. That other multibit DAC from Massdrop mentioned earlier may also be good if not better.

I totally agree. He mimby with eitr and thx is a stack made in heaven. Pairs absolutely perfectly with my audeze lcd2c, and i have quite a few different delta sigma dacs using sabres, akm, and ti chips. mimby beats them all imo, even with its terrible measurements hehe.

Dec 22, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #704 of 2,613
To be specific i owned both mimby and bimby at one point and mimby was ok for the price, Bimby was to bright for my taste.

Dec 22, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #705 of 2,613
To be specific i owned both mimby and bimby at one point and mimby was ok for the price, Bimby was to bright for my taste.

if mimby was just ok, and you dont like bright dacs, then absolutely stay away from all delta sigma dacs. This includes the topping d50, smsl su8, rme adi 2, and pretty much everything out there aside from super dark old school stuff. Its going to be a tough search for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back