Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #661 of 2,613
The RME ADI-2 is a dac/amp combo so you are planning on bypassing the amp in the RME for the 789? The 789 may sound better but just curious why you went with the RME then. Looks like a very nice unit, btw.

I'm planning on trying out both. I also got the ADI in case i wanna try different amps in the future, and then i have a dac to use. And it has EQ, and balanced output for futureprof.

Dec 21, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #663 of 2,613
I think its just random and a matter of luck. I ordered approximately two hours after it went live and live just over twenty miles from the MD warehouse in NJ and it hasn't shipped yet. When I bought the Elex last month, it shipped the same day. Of course, MD standard shipping by Fed Ex Smart Post is annoying; even though the warehouse and I are both in NJ and not far apart, the package first goes in the opposite direction to a Fed Ex facility in Pennsylvania and then back to another Fed Ex facility--in the exact same town as the MD warehouse! However, since I am so close the whole process usually only takes 3-4 business days and USPS conveniently delivers it to a mail locker in the lobby of my building. Since this isn't a Christmas present I didn't bother paying for more expedited shipping.
To update, I received a shipping notice late this morning, well in advance of the two dates I had (my transactions page said 12/25, the purchase confirmation said 12/26). Given the general shipping volume this weekend, I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if the package, at best, doesn't spend Christmas in Pennsylvania.

BTW, I'm somewhat surprised to see that the drop is still active (and still selling robustly). Cee Tee posted yesterday afternoon that they had sold nearly half the available units and I think they've sold a good deal more than they had sold when he posted.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #664 of 2,613
Nothing in the works.
Thanks good to know
It's $350, mate. I dont recommemd waitimg that long for somethimg better. Buy now amd enjoy it.

We live in good times, guys. HD6XX+THX 789+Mimby would be a great setup, comparable to system much more expensive.
Yeah i ordered one yesterday. My preference is very clean and distortion free amps. And this seem to be it. I can here som mudyness being added from my external amp RS02 feed from my hugo 2 dac compared to listening direct from hugo 2. Of course my RS02 adds other good stuff like wider soundstage more powerfullsound and deeper bass. Maybe this will be cleaner.

Dec 21, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #668 of 2,613
Under my transactions on the MD site it says shipping December 25, but the email confirmation says December 26. FWIW, my last couple of MD orders on items in stock shipped a day or so earlier than stated, which may be a pessimistic estimate to give them some protection from impatient customers. But then again, it is Christmas.
Okay, so they shipped today. However, I may be going out of town right after Christmas, so with the threat that were going to ship on Christmas day... I change the shipping speed to 4 business days so they would arrive after I got back. But now they are estimated to arrive at my house the day after Christmas. I wonder if the 2 business day shipping would have had them arrive on Christmas Eve. What a mess. Dang, estimated shipping dates! HAHA.

Dec 21, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #669 of 2,613
I ordered and paid for expedited shipping...they mailed yesterday night and suppose to arrive before 8pm tonight. also the drop is over now.

Dec 21, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #670 of 2,613
I am very curious how the Schiit Freya or Saga preamps sound with the 789. I have heard mixed reviews of those, but with such a transparent amp like the 789.... Anyone have these to test and give impressions?

Dec 21, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #672 of 2,613
I ordered and paid for expedited shipping...they mailed yesterday night and suppose to arrive before 8pm tonight. also the drop is over now.

Expedited shipping is not next day air. No way they would ship something in less than 24 hours for 15 dollars

Dec 21, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #674 of 2,613
I dont make **** up. just saying what fedex says..."Service FedEx Standard Overnight"

I didn't say you did. I was clarifying what Fed Ex means by expedited vs actual next day delivery and setting a realistic expectation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back