Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Apr 27, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #2,086 of 2,613
Did anyone else notice the THX ONE announcement on Drop?

https://drop.com/buy/drop-thx-aaa-one-linear-amplifier/

Looks like they are trying to bring the price down to <$200 by removing the balanced input/output but otherwise using the same components and circuit design. I'm intrigued by this as an even more budget option for a lot of folks. Already the existing 789 doesn't really benefit greatly from the balanced IO, even the single ended output sound great to my ears.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #2,088 of 2,613
Did anyone else notice the THX ONE announcement on Drop?

https://drop.com/buy/drop-thx-aaa-one-linear-amplifier/

Looks like they are trying to bring the price down to <$200 by removing the balanced input/output but otherwise using the same components and circuit design. I'm intrigued by this as an even more budget option for a lot of folks. Already the existing 789 doesn't really benefit greatly from the balanced IO, even the single ended output sound great to my ears.
Looks like the THX ONE will allow the rear RCA outs can act as a preamp, which the 789 doesn't.

May 6, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #2,089 of 2,613
so today I found out my DIY amp is junk.

compared to 789, from what I hear, it distorts like a madman. on 789 music even sounds "slow" lol. the blackness of that background...my DIY amp has something in between sounds - some sort of "pollution" - 789 completely lacks that.

damn

May 6, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #2,090 of 2,613
I have a Magni 3 and I’m wondering if I need to get an 789 as an upgrade. The Magni 3 is the only amp I’ve used, but I’ve seen some people say it’s a bit colored by today’s standards. The 789 seems like the logical step up but is it worth the coin? Would I even be able to hear a difference myself?

Also, there are other $100 options that are apparently similar like the JDS Atom and newer 3+/Heresy, how do those fare? Can anyone help me out? I’m a bit stuck lol, I’m not the most well versed on this side of the audio hobby.

May 6, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #2,091 of 2,613
The Magni 3 is the only amp I’ve used, but I’ve seen some people say it’s a bit colored by today’s standards. The 789 seems like the logical step up but is it worth the coin?
Unfortunately, people (especially new to this hobby) think that "colored" equals "bad" or inferior :frowning2:
Many people (myself included) are big fans of tube amps, which are "notorious" for being colored and distorting, but that what makes them sound so good!
So, if your personal taste is for as clean and as neutral sound as you can get - the 789 WILL be an upgrade for you.
Only way really to figure out where your personal preference lies is to try it out and see if you like it more, or if you find it "dry" and boring.
Also, keep in mind that synergy with headphones used is KEY. Some headphones sound great on colored amps, while others would sound better on neutral amps like the 789 :wink:

May 6, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #2,092 of 2,613
Unfortunately, people (especially new to this hobby) think that "colored" equals "bad" or inferior :frowning2:
Many people (myself included) are big fans of tube amps, which are "notorious" for being colored and distorting, but that what makes them sound so good!
So, if your personal taste is for as clean and as neutral sound as you can get - the 789 WILL be an upgrade for you.
Only way really to figure out where your personal preference lies is to try it out and see if you like it more, or if you find it "dry" and boring.
Also, keep in mind that synergy with headphones used is KEY. Some headphones sound great on colored amps, while others would sound better on neutral amps like the 789 :wink:
Thanks for your answer. Thing is, when people say it’s colored, I don’t know exactly what they mean. Do they think it’s colored just because it looks that way on a graph? Does it actually sound that way? Some people make the sound difference seem night and day. Others say it’s not even noticeable. It’s hard to tell.

May 6, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #2,093 of 2,613
Excellent response!!

May 6, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #2,094 of 2,613
Thanks for your answer. Thing is, when people say it’s colored, I don’t know exactly what they mean. Do they think it’s colored just because it looks that way on a graph? Does it actually sound that way? Some people make the sound difference seem night and day. Others say it’s not even noticeable. It’s hard to tell.
I had the Magni a few years ago and it's a great amp for $100. When the Jotunheim was released I purchased it and sold the Magni. The Jotunheim is a much better amp than the Magni but also more expensive. Last week I received my DROP+THX AAA 789 and have been listening to it for a few days now and it competes very capably with the Jot. I find the Jot to be a bit warmer sounding than the 789 while the 789 is a very clean sounding amp. Both are excellent amps and I'm keeping both. The 789 is the better deal now since Massdrop dropped the price of the 789 by $100 making it less expensive than the Jotunheim.

May 6, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #2,095 of 2,613
I had the Magni a few years ago and it's a great amp for $100. When the Jotunheim was released I purchased it and sold the Magni. The Jotunheim is a much better amp than the Magni but also more expensive. Last week I received my DROP+THX AAA 789 and have been listening to it for a few days now and it competes very capably with the Jot. I find the Jot to be a bit warmer sounding than the 789 while the 789 is a very clean sounding amp. Both are excellent amps and I'm keeping both. The 789 is the better deal now since Massdrop dropped the price of the 789 by $100 making it less expensive than the Jotunheim.
Was it the Magni 1 or Magni 3? Do you think it’s worth jumping from the Magni 3 to the 789? I know the 3+ and Heresy have been getting good marks for the $100 tag.

May 6, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #2,096 of 2,613
This is a great advice for beginners!
You won't really know what 'coloured' is until you try a really uncoloured/neutral setup. It is all about trying different things and educating your ears, which will lead you to find your preferred sound signature. Neutral/uncoloured means music is portrayed according to the recording, without adding any extra 'flavour'. Most amps are coloured to different extent, usually producing a warmer sound or emphasising a frequency range a little more than others.
As @Zachik said, pairing equipment is crucial. Most people (80%) want to pair warmer/coloured headphones with neutral amp, and add a little life to neutral headphones with a warmer/coloured amp. And there are the extremists who want ultimate neutral clarity with neutral headphones and amps (10%) which the 80% would call clinical. And the other end using warm headphones on warm sounding amps (10%). The majority is playing carefully with pairing different equipment.
Discovering your taste by auditioning, buying and selling different headphones and amps is part of the fun. Don't let anyone tell you what sounds right or wrong.

May 6, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #2,097 of 2,613
Was it the Magni 1 or Magni 3? Do you think it’s worth jumping from the Magni 3 to the 789? I know the 3+ and Heresy have been getting good marks for the $100 tag.
I was referring to the Magni 3.

Tough question to answer, I've been through what you're going through as well. Unfortunately only you can make the call whether or not you want to jump to the 789 but all that I can say is both the Magni and 789 are terrific amps selling for excellent prices.

What I have repeatedly done is purchase the amp I'm interested in and then compare it against the one I was planning on replacing. Turns out the Magni is the only amp that I actually sold. The last few amps I've purchased I just end up keeping because I like them and they each have their own "flavour". Currently I own 3 amps (789, Jot and Lake People G109S) and intend to keep them all as I enjoy listening to and comparing the amps and essentially assigning which headphones go best with each of the amps. Yeah I know I'm nuts, at least that's what my wife thinks...LOL!

The madness continues as I will be receiving a new DAC tomorrow with a built in headphone amp so shortly I will have 4 amps to play with. I will eventually probably end up selling at least one of them.

May 6, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #2,098 of 2,613
I was referring to the Magni 3.

Tough question to answer, I've been through what you're going through as well. Unfortunately only you can make the call whether or not you want to jump to the 789 but all that I can say is both the Magni and 789 are terrific amps selling for excellent prices.

What I have repeatedly done is purchase the amp I'm interested in and then compare it against the one I was planning on replacing. Turns out the Magni is the only amp that I actually sold. The last few amps I've purchased I just end up keeping because I like them and they each have their own "flavour". Currently I own 3 amps (789, Jot and Lake People G109S) and intend to keep them all as I enjoy listening to and comparing the amps and essentially assigning which headphones go best with each of the amps. Yeah I know I'm nuts, at least that's what my wife thinks...LOL!

The madness continues as I will be receiving a new DAC tomorrow with a built in headphone amp so shortly I will have 4 amps to play with. I will eventually probably end up selling at least one of them.
Thank you!

May 6, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #2,099 of 2,613
Some people make the sound difference seem night and day. Others say it’s not even noticeable. It’s hard to tell.
Welcome to audiophiland :wink:

May 6, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #2,100 of 2,613
Currently I own 3 amps (789, Jot and Lake People G109S) and intend to keep them all as I enjoy listening to and comparing the amps and essentially assigning which headphones go best with each of the amps. Yeah I know I'm nuts, at least that's what my wife thinks...LOL!
Then I guess your wife would think I am a total nut case... Only 3 amps? :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back