Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Jan 18, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #1,996 of 2,613
May I ask what direct experience with Bluetooth you have? I am talking about the ability to transmit Bluetooth to a DAC to handle the processing there, or yes, absolutely no problem with a well done Bluetooth decoding and conversion scenario. When my phone streams to my Bluetooth headphones the sound quality is top-notch, absolutely sounds fabulous, and I listen to very well mastered material with mountains of detail, timbre and nuance. I think that you can safely assume that nobody thinks that Bluetooth transmits analogue signals. Never in my life met somebody who thought that about Bluetooth.
I was talking about cases like you described with your Bluetooth headphones. It's the DAC in your headphones you listen to. If you like it you are lucky.

But why would you want to send data stream to your DAC via Bluetooth when it can be done via WiFi or better wired? Bluetooth was designed for convenience and short range.

Jan 19, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #1,997 of 2,613
I was talking about cases like you described with your Bluetooth headphones. It's the DAC in your headphones you listen to. If you like it you are lucky.

But why would you want to send data stream to your DAC via Bluetooth when it can be done via WiFi or better wired? Bluetooth was designed for convenience and short range.
I don't agree, sorry mate, but it has nothing to do with being lucky, Bluetooth sounds fantastic, that isn't even up for debate, it is fact. I can never hear the difference wired versus well done Bluetooth. I'll put cold hard cash that in well controlled, blind listening, multiple trial tests you wouldn't hear the difference either.

Jan 19, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #1,998 of 2,613
I don't agree, sorry mate, but it has nothing to do with being lucky, Bluetooth sounds fantastic, that isn't even up for debate, it is fact. I can never hear the difference wired versus well done Bluetooth. I'll put cold hard cash that in well controlled, blind listening, multiple trial tests you wouldn't hear the difference either.

Maybe the difference can be heard only with the right gear and the right songs? I'm not saying you are wrong, on the contrary, but there may be more to it than we think. On a somewhat separate topic for instance, on a 2k setup, I can't hear for the life of me any difference between 320kbps and flac on any of the many songs I've tried. Weirdly enough, I can tell between 320/flac and Spotify Very High quality (they claim it's 320kbps, and that's what's strange for me).

PS.: I only consider differences that I can tell for sure, not what I think I might be hearing. That's placebo in my opinion.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #1,999 of 2,613
Maybe the difference can be heard only with the right gear and the right songs? I'm not saying you are wrong, on the contrary, but there may be more to it than we think. On a somewhat separate topic for instance, on a 2k setup, I can't hear for the life of me any difference between 320kbps and flac on any of the many songs I've tried. Weirdly enough, I can tell between 320/flac and Spotify Very High quality (they claim it's 320kbps, and that's what's strange for me).

PS.: I only consider differences that I can tell for sure, not what I think I might be hearing. That's placebo in my opinion.
I have read about people with excellent hearing who actually put a great deal of time and effort into training themselves to pick up really, really small differences that apparently lossy audio formats may cause in very specific ways. The fact that they train very hard and deliberately, and then concentrate in an effort to spot these reportedly very small sound quality differences tells me that for all intents and purposes there is no meaningful effect of high quality lossy encoding. People generally do not listen to music like that so these tiny differences really are meaningless in any actual listening situations. My belief is if you have to go to that much trouble to become a sonic flaw detective, probably not a lot of fun.

Could there be similar small effects with Bluetooth audio transmission? Quite likely, and there are issues of implementation to consider so I can accept that sometimes Bluetooth may not be perceived as exactly the same quality as wired or WiFi transmission of audio. Saying that, when Bluetooth is well implemented in well designed gear, personally I have experienced Bluetooth as sounding equal to any wired connection. I can get the Spotify thing, I can't say why, and maybe there is no reason and I am imagining it, but I can't help but feeling that it sounds off somehow? I wonder if there is DSP applied. Again, I can't say I have any evidence of the sound being different with Spotify, that is simply an impression and not based on any effort to be rigorous in my testing of my impression/assumptions.

Jan 19, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #2,001 of 2,613
Jan 19, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #2,002 of 2,613
I bought this amplifier "Monolith by Monoprice THX AAA Balanced Headphone Amplifier featuring THX AAA 887". https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=39359

Is it similar to Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789? Is it rebranded Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 ?
It is identical as far as topology, but definitely not a re-brand. Monoprice went through all the specific components, and upgraded many parts to achieve some better measurements, not huge but an improvement. The case design is also different, I prefer the 887. The warranty is also better on the 887.

A post by a Monoprice rep says, "Just an FYI, for the 887 we upgraded over 50 internal components to increase performance:

5 Opamps – same opamps as 888 to reduce noise

32 Resistors – Upgraded to reduce noise

12 Capacitors – Upgraded to reduce distortion"

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #2,003 of 2,613
Hi all... My wife just got me a 789 for the holidays. A couple questions for those willing to help me out...

My current set up is a Vinshine Reference R2R DAC into a Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2. I use RCAs because the Gilmore is SE. Therefore, I can only currently use the 789 SE. I need to purchase XLR cables for interconnects and my headphones if needed. Which leads to my 2 questions...

1. Do I need XLR interconnects to run from my Vinshine to the 789 in order to maximize the performance of the 789? I understand the amp is not a true balanced topology.
2. Does the Balanced headphone jack engage the full power and resolution of the amp without the XLR interconnects?

Thus far I have only used the amp SE and it sounds really good. However, I can hear a bit of speed loss versus my Gilmore. I expect that to change once I use the amp to its full affect. The sound is extremely clear. I can hear my Vinshine's incredible musicality. The Gilmore is an extremely capable little amp, and thus far I can't tell if the 789 is better or just different. What I can tell is that the 789 is extremely revealing of the source. I can't wait to hear the 789 balanced and then make a more informed decision on my system's future.

Thank you for answering my questions...
Thank you to all for answering my questions. 789 is sounding great. I also bought a Pathos Aurium. Which has a tape out, so I am able to use my DAC balanced into my Aurium and then Tape Out into the 789 so I can utilize both amps concurrently. I am finding that the 789 is a good amp. the Aurium is in another league. I am going to purchase a SBooster for the Aurium, so I will try it with the 789 as well. Who knows...

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #2,004 of 2,613
A few days ago I asked if I could use the single ended output of the 789 if interconnects were balanced xlr between dac and amp. The answer was yes. Now what happens if it's the opposite. Will the xlr output work if my 789 and SMSL100 are connected via rca? I'm asking before I purchase a balanced xlr cable for my headphones for the extra output power.

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #2,005 of 2,613
Yes it will work great. The amp is not fully balanced. You will still realize the amps full power output thru the XLR headphone out.

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #2,007 of 2,613
Thanks. Great it will work out.
I was running my 789 balanced because my DACs dynamic range is slightly better balanced. The amp is the same either way. Some say the amp is better via RCA. Only way to know for yourself is to try both ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back