Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Jan 14, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #1,968 of 2,613
E35B8336-84B1-4D2C-9BC7-BE40A3CAE346.jpeg

Jan 15, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #1,969 of 2,613
I received the 789 on Monday and have been listening to my AEON 2 CB through it since then, using the 1/4 jack. It's connected directly to the iMac 2019 I use at the office, so it's using the mac's internal DAC. I can't hear distortion, hum, or background noise AT ALL, even if I put the gain at the third mark, volume pot at max, and have no music playing (which I can't say the same for my Asgard 3). Now here's the question, will an external DAC make any difference? I'm not thinking of the features it may have to offer, such as DSD, MQA, filters, remote control, etc. If the answer is no, the sound will be the same, then I'll save money to buy a full feature standalone DAC a few months from now (SMSL SU-8S / 9 when it releases, for instance).

If there are improvements to be heard still, I'd now get a Topping D10 or D50s, or SMSL M100 / M300 and settle on it for a while.

Also, since the output is not balanced on the 789, would I benefit at all from connecting my cans via balanced XLR cables aside from higher volume?

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #1,970 of 2,613
I received the 789 on Monday and have been listening to my AEON 2 CB through it since then, using the 1/4 jack. It's connected directly to the iMac 2019 I use at the office, so it's using the mac's internal DAC. I can't hear distortion, hum, or background noise AT ALL, even if I put the gain at the third mark, volume pot at max, and have no music playing (which I can't say the same for my Asgard 3). Now here's the question, will an external DAC make any difference? I'm not thinking of the features it may have to offer, such as DSD, MQA, filters, remote control, etc. If the answer is no, the sound will be the same, then I'll save money to buy a full feature standalone DAC a few months from now (SMSL SU-8S / 9 when it releases, for instance).

If there are improvements to be heard still, I'd now get a Topping D10 or D50s, or SMSL M100 / M300 and settle on it for a while.

Also, since the output is not balanced on the 789, would I benefit at all from connecting my cans via balanced XLR cables aside from higher volume?
Short answer, Yes! DAC will make a difference. However, when you do it should based on what you want. I personally feel you should buy the best you can afford at the time you are ready. If you are satisfied for now, wait and get what you want when you can. But, yes I believe an external DAC will greatly improve your system. Whether you go with a delta sigma or an R2R depends on what your sonic preferences are. I like the R2R sound, especially with my 789 as it is such a clean amp. I like the added warmth and smoothness of provides while still extracting plenty of detail. To me there is no wrong DAC.

Jan 15, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #1,971 of 2,613
Short answer, Yes! DAC will make a difference. However, when you do it should based on what you want. I personally feel you should buy the best you can afford at the time you are ready. If you are satisfied for now, wait and get what you want when you can. But, yes I believe an external DAC will greatly improve your system. Whether you go with a delta sigma or an R2R depends on what your sonic preferences are. I like the R2R sound, especially with my 789 as it is such a clean amp. I like the added warmth and smoothness of provides while still extracting plenty of detail. To me there is no wrong DAC.
I've heard a couple rough ones in my day. I don't see many people liking some of the old soundblaster cards, those were terrible. Then again you are right.. somebody liked it enough to make and sell the thing.

Jan 15, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #1,972 of 2,613
I've heard a couple rough ones in my day. I don't see many people liking some of the old soundblaster cards, those were terrible. Then again you are right.. somebody liked it enough to make and sell the thing.
Haha... so correct. I find the DAC I use to be a huge part of the chain. Most DACs today in that $200-$300 range will get you something way better than a MACs internal DAC. I use an iMac running Roon and don't love the internal DAC.

Jan 15, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #1,973 of 2,613
Haha... so correct. I find the DAC I use to be a huge part of the chain. Most DACs today in that $200-$300 range will get you something way better than a MACs internal DAC. I use an iMac running Roon and don't love the internal DAC.

Would you mind recommending a few on that price range? Ideally balanced if the price allows.

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #1,974 of 2,613
Would you mind recommending a few on that price range? Ideally balanced if the price allows.
Yes. Most of my experience has been with DACs in the $1000-$1500 range. But, I would consider the following.

1. ifi Zen
2. SMSL SU-8
3. Geshelli Labs Products
4. Schiit Modi Multi Bit - don't think it comes balanced
5. Airist R2R DAC - not sure if balanced. But a great DAC for the price. You'd need to find a used one.

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #1,975 of 2,613

Get the d50s first, then save for something better, I recommend the rme adi2 DAC. Balanced input does not matter with short runs of cable unless you have a ground loop. In fact, the engineers of the amp recommend RCA unless you need the noise rejection of XLR (noise loop, EMI etc). Plugging your headphones into the balanced jack in the front is a whole different thing though, way more power for you cans is always a good thing

Jan 15, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #1,977 of 2,613
Get the d50s first, then save for something better, I recommend the rme adi2 DAC. Balanced input does not matter with short runs of cable unless you have a ground loop. In fact, the engineers of the amp recommend RCA unless you need the noise rejection of XLR (noise loop, EMI etc). Plugging your headphones into the balanced jack in the front is a whole different thing though, way more power for you cans is always a good thing
RME is an R2R. It is insanely good. If you want that type get a Metrum Flint.

Jan 15, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #1,978 of 2,613
Thanks, I'll already have looked at all of them. The Geshelli would be great if it worked via usb. The mac doesn't have digital out. The RME ADI 2 DAC looks great, but totally out of my budget, unless I find a used one in good conditions for a good price. So dard to decide...
D50s. Affordable, measures well, sounds good too.

Jan 15, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #1,980 of 2,613
I think RME ADI2 uses an off the shelf DAC part like 4490 and recently upgraded since that part is end of life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back