Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Oct 25, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #166 of 2,613
Ah, thanks. That makes sense.

Well, looks like it's just DOA then. Or possibly the power supply? I might try to test it.

Could be the power brick, the amps themselves look like they are fairly well made, but the power brick is pretty plainly just some cheap Chinese one they picked up for as little as possible. I plan on getting a mean well or something to replace it on mine shortly.

Oct 25, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #167 of 2,613
Could be the power brick, the amps themselves look like they are fairly well made, but the power brick is pretty plainly just some cheap Chinese one they picked up for as little as possible. I plan on getting a mean well or something to replace it on mine shortly.

Do you have a recommended power brick for this amp ?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #168 of 2,613
Be careful.

Screenshot_20181025-195946_1.jpg

Oct 25, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #171 of 2,613
Still waiting for mine to be delivered. Massdrop uses a fleet of giant tortoises to send out their packages.
my first order will be here tomm. i ordered two of them but one was on a later drop. i hate that they use smartpost.

if those tortoises are anything like ours when you feed them you better make sure you are out of the way haha. they are like a toyota corolla with 800 hp under the hood :joy:

Oct 26, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #173 of 2,613
I just took delivery. My amplifier came with an US mains plug. After checking the PSU unit it is autoranging so it takes UK/EU voltages. Luckily I had a spare 2 pin power chord around.

To be fair they note this:
US plug; adapter needed for global use

Still, a reminder for non American users.

On first listen the unit seems to operate fine.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #174 of 2,613
Don´t appear to be very thought through and lots of misstakes in the assembly. Just hope mine is alright. I can only hope I get it next week.

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #175 of 2,613
wellll mine is the same as heliospawn. the power button is not working. i get no lights when pressed and no relay click or anything. green led is lit on the power brick and i tested the power brick with my meter its working fine. i got it to come on once and only once. by kind of wiggling the power button and then that was it. now it will not come on at all after that. no smell no smoke etc....this sucks

Oct 26, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #177 of 2,613
Unfortunately I can't get the unit to power on at all. Went to hook it up and I'm pretty sure the power button is defective. It won't "catch" when you depress it. It just pops right back to it's initial resting place.

wellll mine is the same as heliospawn. the power button is not working. i get no lights when pressed and no relay click or anything. green led is lit on the power brick and i tested the power brick with my meter its working fine. i got it to come on once and only once. by kind of wiggling the power button and then that was it. now it will not come on at all after that. no smell no smoke etc....this sucks

I found a reliable fix for when mine won't turn on: pull the button back. It doesn't seem like it moves, but almost every time I do that, the next press will turn the amp on. Tried that about 25 times now. Fixed it every time but once when I had to repeat it.

Oct 27, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #178 of 2,613
ill have to play with it some more to be sure but i pulled out on the power button and something made a "click" noise like a plastic on spring type noise and now it seems to be turning on and off normally. im not sure yet though im going to use the button a few more days and then decide what to do. they said they would replace it. im annoyed about the gain knob a bit my II setting is also way off from the middle even a bit more then your pic shows.

Oct 27, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #179 of 2,613
OT OT OT. I thought this was an impressions thread. Looks more like the defective power button thread. Has anyone who has listened to the amp have any listening impressions to share? A new thread about the power button issue would be in order. That way, people with that problem can search and find it.

Oct 27, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #180 of 2,613
well one cant give any impressions if the amp will not power on...... i would have had time to listen to it today otherwise. i still think its relevant info and should be in the main thread because so far at least my "impressions" are the amp sucks because for many it has issues. im hoping this fixed the issue who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back