Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Aug 14, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #4,697 of 4,845
I tried the EQ settings with the Harman target setting, but I did not like the result, in the end I tweaked everything to my taste in the usual graphic equalizer. the sound became very saturated, but pleasant.
31 0
62 0
125 0
250 0
500 +1.5
1k +2
2k +2
4k +3.8
8k + 5
16k 0
preamp -6

It would be interesting to see the frequency response of these headphones with such parameters. does anyone have this possibility?

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #4,698 of 4,845
I tried the EQ settings with the Harman target setting, but I did not like the result, in the end I tweaked everything to my taste in the usual graphic equalizer. the sound became very saturated, but pleasant.
31 0
62 0
125 0
250 0
500 +1.5
1k +2
2k +2
4k +3.8
8k + 5
16k 0
preamp -6

It would be interesting to see the frequency response of these headphones with such parameters. does anyone have this possibility?
The increases you made in the lower treble surprises me a bit. I think that might make my ears bleed a bit - assuming you're using the stock pads and no mods.

Aug 14, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #4,699 of 4,845
I myself did not expect that I would tune in like that, especially after watching the frequency response of the headphones and comparing with Harman Target, etc., but I just turned on my favorite music and twisted the EQ.

this surprised me once again, simply because in many headphones I hear sibilants and even in these, but after tuning it did not get worse in terms of sibilance.

and yes, this setting is bright, but not fatiguing (it definitely cannot be called neutral, in some tracks it makes itself felt). although it probably depends on the volume and probably everyone hears a little differently.

Yes, the headphones are in stock, the only thing is the ear pads are a little wrinkled.

upd:
when setting up, for the most part, I relied on this track
:jecklinsmile:
and my idea of how it should sound.

without tuning it sounds too "overloaded"

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #4,700 of 4,845
By the way, about the ear pads ... which ones are worth attention? from those that are on aliexpress.
I paid attention to
misodiko-Sennheiser.jpg_640x640.png
and
iNeedKit.png

Do I understand correctly that the mounts are compatible with each other? I mean no difference with the HD600 series

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #4,702 of 4,845
I tried the EQ settings with the Harman target setting, but I did not like the result, in the end I tweaked everything to my taste in the usual graphic equalizer. the sound became very saturated, but pleasant. [boost from 500 to 8000 Hz) ...
The increases you made in the lower treble surprises me a bit. I think that might make my ears bleed a bit - assuming you're using the stock pads and no mods.
We all hear differently, subjectively and objectively (HRTF). My original HD-580 (over 20 years old, but with all new pads, and measured to confirm they perform to original specification), sound a bit bright to me, as most headphones do. But only a bit bright, close to neutral. My EQ leaves the mids & treble alone and only corrects their bass attenuation: a low shelf of gradual slope, starting at 100 Hz and reaching +6 dB by 20 Hz.

Perceptually, this EQ is too subtle to entirely correct their bass response to neutral, but it does lift it enough to help. It also makes them sound a bit less bright overall. A big enough bass boost to correct them to neutral makes the bass sound slow and bloated, with distortion that also leaks into the mids. No thanks.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #4,703 of 4,845
took advantage of it
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mas...ilee-review-measurements.867972/post-15781928
(thanks for the measurements, I think this is more or less consistent with what I hear when I turn on the sweep tone)
and made a less saturated version of EQ. and I think this is more balanced and more suitable as a universal setting).
I did not compensate for the bass to a "flat line", because it seems to me that the sound becomes worse with this setting.
the 1-8k range is just a little higher, trying not to boost the peaks in an attempt to compensate for the dips.
31 +3, 62 +2, 1k +0.5, 2k +1.5, 4k +2, 8k +1.5

the main reason I started all this setup with the EQ is the low detail at low or medium listening volumes and if you make it loud, the sound becomes too overloaded.

I would like to ask if there is any point in fully leather ear pads? Are there any HD58X measurements?

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #4,704 of 4,845
What an awesome track for audio evaluations, you're a man of great taste :D
it was just convenient, guitars use a wide range of frequencies and you can immediately hear if you change something.
especially when listening to a repetitive riff. well, the drums are quite cyclical, so it's easy to hear the changes too
Perceptually, this EQ is too subtle to entirely correct their bass response to neutral, but it does lift it enough to help. It also makes them sound a bit less bright overall. A big enough bass boost to correct them to neutral makes the bass sound slow and bloated, with distortion that also leaks into the mids. No thanks.
I agree with you about the bass in the headphones.
strong bass changes with EQ have always led to a deterioration in quality.

Oct 3, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #4,706 of 4,845
This should tell you all you need to know about disassembling the HD6XX family of phones:

Oct 4, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #4,707 of 4,845
love these headphones, they’re even more practical than the hd 6xx for budget headphones that you can use with pretty much everything and they have great bass. a little less sweet in the mids and not as resolving or transparent, but not by enough to really be a dealbreaker. I have my He-6 for when I need something more refined and for more serious listening. way better than the hd600 from what i remember as well (they had great balanced mids but seemed to roll off on bass even more than hd 650/6xx). got the 58x for $129 with a discount like a year ago

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #4,709 of 4,845
Sold my 58X a few weeks ago. Just couldn't get enough treble out of it, even with the front foam completely removed. I listen to classical/orchestral exclusively, a genre that seems to require a lot more treble than Sennheiser are prepared to supply. (Just type in "Best headphones for Classical" and you'll see all the brightest phones on the market listed). In the event I've moved to the Beyer DT990, and with a circlet of microfibre cloth over the driver I believe I've found my nirvana. I've been in the headphone game a loooong time and this is the best I've ever heard.

Oct 6, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #4,710 of 4,845
Sold my 58X a few weeks ago. Just couldn't get enough treble out of it, even with the front foam completely removed. I listen to classical/orchestral exclusively, a genre that seems to require a lot more treble than Sennheiser are prepared to supply. (Just type in "Best headphones for Classical" and you'll see all the brightest phones on the market listed). In the event I've moved to the Beyer DT990, and with a circlet of microfibre cloth over the driver I believe I've found my nirvana. I've been in the headphone game a loooong time and this is the best I've ever heard.
The Dekoni Elite Velour pads are a most for the DT1990 even with fabric over the driver (I do the same thing with black felt in the inside of the pads similar to what DCA does with their tuning pads). Its a great technically performing phone. Congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back