Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Mar 5, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #4,681 of 4,845
For whoever is still considering if the HD58X is for them, I brought an Astell and Kern mid level SA700 DAP at a closing down special for US$550 and the HD59X sounded very good with it, layers, details, sound stage are all there, the HD650 is a touch more refined but just a very small improvement that is almost not worth mentioning. The difference is only more noticeable when the DAP is connected to the Bryston headphone, in short, unless you have really good gear and very demanding of ultimate quality, the 58X is excellent value for money.

Mar 15, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #4,682 of 4,845
Just joining the group to say how still strong these HD 58X are after quite a few years after being introduced.
Got a used unit a few months ago for around $ 13.00, still a very good value.
Hate the velour pad in general much prefer the fenestrated leather, too bad Dekoni one are definetively great but way overpriced.
Did the tea bag/coffee filter mod on the driver and I have plenty of details with good bass well separated from the midrange.
These together with Sundara and Meze 99 are my mid fi range and I enjoy them depending on my mood or music selection. Still recomended in 2022

Mar 15, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #4,683 of 4,845
Just joining the group to say how still strong these HD 58X are after quite a few years after being introduced.
Hate the velour pad in general much prefer the fenestrated leather, too bad Dekoni one are definetively great but way overpriced.
Did the tea bag/coffee filter mod on the driver and I have plenty of details with good bass well separated from the midrange.
These together with Sundara and Meze 99 are my mid fi range and I enjoy them depending on my mood or music selection. Still recomended in 2022
13 bucks!

Mar 16, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #4,684 of 4,845
I'm curious about the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin pads, I like the stock pads sound but I always wanted just a bit more sub bass extension and detail. Do you think those Dekoni pads help with that?

Mar 16, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #4,685 of 4,845
I'm curious about the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin pads, I like the stock pads sound but I always wanted just a bit more sub bass extension and detail. Do you think those Dekoni pads help with that?
I used the elite hybrids. Yes, there was a tad bit more sub bass, but it didn't add any additional detailing or layering. Not to my ears anyhow. I'd only recommend switching to Dekoni if you find the upper mids and lower treble a little harsh or bright. This is the area that seemed most affected, which is why I swapped. I could not detect any additional added benefits other than that. Details and imaging might have taken a very slight step back.

May 22, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #4,686 of 4,845
HD58X Still looking beautiful 'n just as sexxy the day I first got them, just fitted a new cable for them.

s4MBBcu.jpg

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #4,689 of 4,845
That one of the cables you made?
Yes, this was the last one I just did a few days ago teaching/showing a family member how to braid. Needed couple days break before finishing, just had to fit terminations.

RkmbzHJ.jpg

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #4,690 of 4,845
Yes, this was the last one I just did a few days ago teaching/showing a family member how to braid. Needed couple days break before finishing, just had to fit terminations.
That looks amazing. I really like the terminations at the headphones. Does it have switchable plugs? Or what is the barrel in the middle?

May 22, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #4,691 of 4,845
That looks amazing. I really like the terminations at the headphones. Does it have switchable plugs? Or what is the barrel in the middle?
Yes it's just so you can change the cable from a BAL config to SE type or add a extension and/or both and so on etc...

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #4,692 of 4,845

Yes it's just so you can change the cable from a BAL config to SE type or add a extension and/or both and so on etc...
Well. Now I know where I'm buying my next batch of cables from:wink:

May 22, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #4,694 of 4,845
You're going to give Hart Audio a run for their money! Is it a mini XLR connector? It's hard to tell the scale.
Yes, it's just a mini xlr. I like Hart cables and others like them (idea of interchangeable system) but I'm not giving anyone or anything a run lol. I don't sell cables, too difficult for me so I only make them for myself, I just like to make them they way I want them and my choice of terminations etc. I like pretty shiny hehehe

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back