Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Apr 5, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #4,531 of 4,845
I have both (along with HD600). Has same headband. It stretches with use or you can manually stretch (being careful not to over extend the plastic to the point it breaks-see the Inner Fidelity review of HD660s where Tyll shows how to properly bend it). I tried his method and it works wonderfully.

Apr 5, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #4,533 of 4,845
Yes just from being new and/or not used much. Gets much better with use or can proactively bend slightly to fit better. I find all of the 600 family to clamp to tightly when new but they become much better with use/stretching.

Apr 5, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #4,534 of 4,845
Sorry double post.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #4,536 of 4,845
I just received my custom cable from Hart Audio, and it's an amazing match for the 58X. Great fit, and easy switching back and forth with my different gear with their adapter set. The build quality is amazing, and they're really great to work with. It's also has great synergy with the Jubilees, and is better than another aftermarket cable I got off Ali. For anyone who's looking for something special and has a variety of gear (balanced and not), it's a good option.

Apr 5, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #4,537 of 4,845
+1 for the 58X. It's the headphone that got me into the hobby! After chasing the dragon all over the place, I've found very few headphones that offer such incredible value.

Apr 7, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #4,539 of 4,845
Dumb question: When using DAC I want to uncheckmark this right?
aECSsmV.png

Thanks in advance!

Apr 10, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #4,544 of 4,845
A while back, I mentioned trying out a mod that involves attenuating airflow through the magnet on the rear of the driver. At the time, I was using a coffee filter material + Blu-Tack as my material, but when I switched to double-sided tape (to make the mod more "permanent"), the attenuation of bass increased -- too much. I think because the double-sided tape is lower profile than the Blu-Tack blobs, the airflow was further restricted, which had an unwanted further dampening of the bass. Boo.

I experimented with some more materials (including the AKG K240 foam discs that solderdude recommends) and ended up finding that material from some tea bags I have works really well. I recently got some in-ear microphones for measuring the effects of mods, and here's what my HD 58X frequency response looks like before and after the "teabag mod."

graph - 2021-04-10T060739.577.png

I like this mod enough that I (finally) did a video about it.

Apr 12, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #4,545 of 4,845
I’m starting to understand now the whole controversy with the 660S and 58X being very similar sounding headphones give or take a few differences. But I think everyone needs to take into account the pad condition, because that can dramatically change the frequency response depending on how worn out they are. I swapped some new pads on the 58X to compare to a new 660S, and the difference between the two is easier to notice for me now. The 660S is slightly more refined and airy in the mids and treble, while the 58X is punchier and better extended in the bass. I think that’s all there is to it. I was playing around with EQ in the bass with the 660S, and I was able to boost it by 3dB below 100 Hz to match the 58X, with good results. Although I think I still prefer the 58X because the bass just sounds cleaner and tighter, and you lose very little if anything in terms of mids and treble clarity. I'd go so far to say you could probably EQ the mids and treble of the 58X to match the 660S, and have it be a better performer. I'll have to test it out tonight, I have binaural microphones to try out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back