Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Sep 3, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #4,411 of 4,845
A lot of opinions that are obviously subjectively based on experience and taste.

The guy above is normally suggesting you stick to a small budget of entry level gear because the more expensive stuff is just as good according to his ear/wallet.
I agree with the first part of your post and in fact that is all I’ve been saying while I’ve been here.
The latter part of your post is purposely inaccurate..and I strongly suspect I know the reason why that is. I always suggest that people follow their own tastes and refrain from focusing on mo money = better sound quality. It’s always about your own tastebuds.

Sep 3, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #4,412 of 4,845
I agree with the first part of your post and in fact that is all I’ve been saying while I’ve been here.
The latter part of your post is purposely inaccurate..and I strongly suspect I know the reason why that is. I always suggest that people follow their own tastes and refrain from focusing on mo money = better sound quality. It’s always about your own tastebuds.

You always seem to conclude that audio is a subjective experience so why is my opinion on budget gear inaccurate?

Also what your suspicion?

Sep 3, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #4,413 of 4,845
Your opinion is just as valid as anyone’s on here...but when you paraphrase me in a way that misrepresents what I’m saying, then you are being inaccurate. Nothing to do about subjectivity. That’s just poor forum etiquette.
I’ll let you work out the rest for yourself. I’m out.

Sep 3, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #4,414 of 4,845
So you’re just gonna deflect my question?
Ok later man. Funny how you cant take scrutiny over the very same thing you do.

Sep 3, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #4,415 of 4,845
I recently decided to sell most of my low priced gear and put those funds towards the purchase of better and more expensive gear. However I did not sell my HD58X because they are outstanding sounding headphones. Obviously the 58X isn't as spectacular sounding as my new LCD-3 and LCD-2C but still excellent, especially with the RME ADI-2 DAC and Violectric V280 amp . The HD 58X is unquestionably one of the best sounding headphones for the price.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #4,416 of 4,845
I recently decided to sell most of my low priced gear and put those funds towards the purchase of better and more expensive gear. However I did not sell my HD58X because they are outstanding sounding headphones. Obviously the 58X isn't as spectacular sounding as my new LCD-3 and LCD-2C but still excellent, especially with the RME ADI-2 DAC and Violectric V280 amp . The HD 58X is unquestionably one of the best sounding headphones for the price.

The 58X is an investment that will be cherished by generations to come.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #4,418 of 4,845
The 58X is an investment that will be cherished by generations to come.

I tend the agree, diminishing returns after the 58x and 6xx are *brutal*. I've been slowly creeping up, now at Focal Clear and ZMF Atticus, and sure they're better but the price difference is not close to justified.

Sep 5, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #4,419 of 4,845
The HD 58X is unquestionably one of the best sounding headphones for the price.

Probably not a huge compliment given they're only $150. And you're only saying "one of" not "the" best. :)

Incidentally, not sure what the current thinking is on removing the back foam. I read a lot of posts way back that it made no difference and measured the same, so I left it. Then curiousity got the better of me and i decided to try it. Wow, major difference. Everything better, including soundstage. Shouldn't be, but is. Another one of those many things in audio that makes no sense and isn't amenable to measurement.

Sep 6, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #4,420 of 4,845
Probably not a huge compliment given they're only $150. And you're only saying "one of" not "the" best. :)
It was most definitely a compliment I was trying to convey. Perhaps I should have used the phrase "excellent price to performance" or "best value". To put it into perspective, Focal ear pad replacement cost is $200 while the entire HD58X (including ear pads) costs roughly $50 less than that.

Sep 6, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #4,421 of 4,845
It was most definitely a compliment I was trying to convey. Perhaps I should have used the phrase "excellent price to performance" or "best value". To put it into perspective, Focal ear pad replacement cost is $200 while the entire HD58X (including ear pads) costs roughly $50 less than that.
I couldn't agree more 👍. Best 150 I've spent. I'm even having a hard time finding another open back around 6-7 hundred that I like better.

Sep 6, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #4,422 of 4,845

Incidentally, not sure what the current thinking is on removing the back foam. I read a lot of posts way back that it made no difference and measured the same, so I left it. Then curiousity got the better of me and i decided to try it. Wow, major difference. Everything better, including soundstage. Shouldn't be, but is. Another one of those many things in audio that makes no sense and isn't amenable to measurement.

The back foam is just cosmetic, any change you're hearing is probably just in your head

Sep 7, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #4,423 of 4,845
I couldn't agree more 👍. Best 150 I've spent. I'm even having a hard time finding another open back around 6-7 hundred that I like better.

I couldn't agree with this more. For only $150 these amazing. I keep looking at and hearing different sets but I can't justify the money with the way these sound, at least to my ears. I use them pretty much every day for many hours.

Sep 7, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #4,424 of 4,845

Let me rephrase his statement. HD 58X are one of the most musical, neutral, and fun (all at the same time, which is so rare that there is perhaps no other headphone meets all 3 criteria apart from the Orpheus) headphone sold in history at ANY price, EVER.

Based on your individual preference you might prefer them over $1k, $2k or even $4k headphones. And they’re also one of the most comfortable phones around.

If you’re only looking at technical preference, they’re fairly average in the $200-300 segment I guess.

Sep 7, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #4,425 of 4,845
The back foam is just cosmetic, any change you're hearing is probably just in your head

Yes, that's where I usually hear things. :)

But seriously, I know it isn't. I couldn't get on with these phones at first. Something wasn't right--too little treble for me, lack of spaciousness...just general disappointment. I tried removing the front foam but that made them a little bright and "raw". Again, I kept reading that removing the back foam made no measurable difference, so I didn't. Then, because it's so easy, I did, expecting nothing. But viola! The sound opened out, there was better placement of instruments (I listen mostly to classical), all the reservations I'd had before were gone. Explanation? There isn't one, but I've been in hi-fi long enough (since 1968) to know that not everything is measurable or explainable. Sound reproduction is to some degree a black art. So I believe what my ears tell me rather than measurements or what I read on forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back