Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Oct 24, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #4,171 of 4,845
I'm not sure what I wrote :)
My setup is:
Asus N56VZ > HRT Music Streamer II > Marantz PM6004 > HD58X

I think HD58X are fantastic cans, love the sound! Just If I could get rid of the fatigue.
I was just wondering about HD6XX soundstage. If it is a little wider maybe I should try the also

HD58X are fantastic cans for sure.
As said, however, I find the HD6XX less fatiguing (due to HD58X being hotter in the treble) and with larger/taller soundstage. Unfortunately, it also has less bass slam than the HD58X (less, but it does have it). Anyway, I noted these differences with a Magni amp, so although the HD6XX really needs an amp, a $99 one will do fine. For starters anyway :L3000:

Oct 24, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #4,172 of 4,845
A little update to my Brainwavz pad experiment with the 58x. Today I got a pair of angled sheepskin and a pair of hybrid pads. Now, I'm not even gonna bother with the angled ones (or am I? hmmm...), so I'm gonna focus on the hybrid ones. Surprisingly, these sound very, very close to stock. They even kind of improve the treble (more of it, but smooth enough to not be fatiguing) and widen the soundstage a bit. Although they do sound worse than the stock pads, they make the mids even more forward and some frequencies sound strangely distant, but they sound good enough that I'm willing to experiment further with them. Maybe with a few little mods I can get them to sound almost the same as with the stock pads. We'll see. These are definitely winners. Comfort is amazing, sound isn't compromised TOO much... I think I may be keeping these on for the foreseeable future!

Oct 24, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #4,173 of 4,845
I think there true potential can be unleashed by a capable dap like m11, N6ii, Dx200 etc or a dedicated amp is must?

I Used the HD58x with:

Fiio Q1 MarkII
Fiio X3 iii
Pioneer xdp-300r
Pioneer xdp-30r
Sony WM1a.

They drives the headphones very well specially the Pioneer Models and the Wm1a. But yesterday I used the xdp-30r with the O2 amp with the 3.5 to RCA cable and I have never experienced that SQ with this headphones!!

I would highly recommend to use an amp like the O2, Atom Darkvoice or similar.

Oct 25, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #4,174 of 4,845
I Used the HD58x with:

Fiio Q1 MarkII
Fiio X3 iii
Pioneer xdp-300r
Pioneer xdp-30r
Sony WM1a.

They drives the headphones very well specially the Pioneer Models and the Wm1a. But yesterday I used the xdp-30r with the O2 amp with the 3.5 to RCA cable and I have never experienced that SQ with this headphones!!

I would highly recommend to use an amp like the O2, Atom Darkvoice or similar.
What was lacking in daps, that you discovered in O2?

Oct 25, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #4,175 of 4,845
If you want an amp that drives the HD58X very well, the Project Ember with 12BH7-A tube works beautifully with my modded HD58X and little EQ with Loki for low end boost.
i-MkVvKGd-L.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #4,176 of 4,845
What was lacking in daps, that you discovered in O2?

I can say that even using the balanced output on all the options that I used They need more power. With the O2 I felt more body in the sound, presence and space. If you activate the high gain in the WM1A you can feel something similar but you need to increase the volumen to 80 and for me its too much. With the high gain off there is some similar space or stage but the volumen is very low.

I have read that the HD58x is easy to drive, even with a cellphone but I dont think so, If you want to really enjoy the capacity of this cans you need an amp.

Regards!

Oct 25, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #4,178 of 4,845
I bought my HD58X earlier this year and really like them.
What are the options for trying other ear pads, for the HD58X?

Oct 25, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #4,179 of 4,845

In my opinion, the very best pads you may wear on the HD58X, both for sound and comfort, are the genuine Sennheiser stock pads. All other pads will alter negatively the sound in my opinion. If not broken, don’t fix it! If you have a rage to spend money around these headphones, please invest in DAC/Amps or other accessories. Keep the stock pads on your HD58X. Just my 2 cents of suggestions...

Oct 25, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #4,180 of 4,845
As much as I don't like the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach, I'll have to agree with @PeteMtl on this one. Not so much on comfort, I don't find Sennheiser pads comfortable, but on the sound front they are the best so far. I've tried quite a few pads and none of them really work. Some get close to stock, but they still lack something. The only pads that I've heard people say good things about how they sound are the Dekoni hybrids for the HD600 series. I have yet to try those, and I don't know if I ever will. The consensus is that most pads will alter the sound for the worst, sadly.

Oct 25, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #4,181 of 4,845
I've got the Dekoni hybrids, and I think they are at least as good as the stock pads in terms of SQ, and the added comfort is worth anything you lose. But I didn't find that, in fact I think it helped the bass, that might be because the drivers aren't sitting right on my ears.

Oct 25, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #4,182 of 4,845
What did you modify on your jubilee? That amp looks great have you ever use the darkvoice?

Have not used or heard a Darkvoice.

Went closed-back with wood cups and Yaxi Alcantara pads. Made it darker sounding, but also more spacious, warmer and fuller sounding, and a better low end presence with smoother sound and same detail. They've pretty much replaced my TH-X00 Purplehearts...subbass master but in a darker, more pleasing sound with better, less fatiguing highs. They do everything well though... vocals are some of my favorite in a headphone (though not as forward as on the Porta Pro with Yaxi pads) and there is no lack of detail in the highs even though they are a little relaxed.

With EQ and on the Garage 1217 Project Ember sounds absolutely beautiful - supposed to be listening to my new Kaldas RR1 but would much rather listen to the HD58X on the Project Ember amp with the JJ Electronic 12BH7-A tube... that amp is something else. I've pretty much decided to eventually sell my Gustard H10 amps after the short time I've spent thusfar with the Ember... I want to try the Garage 1217 Project Polaris before getting rid of them first to see if it will work for some of my other headphones that don't quite like 'tubification' - mainly the DT-177X GO.

i-xcfhwmr.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #4,184 of 4,845
The 4.4mm adapter comes bundled with Hd58x is balanced or unbalanced?
It's not a 4.4mm adapter. It's a 3.5mm to 6.5mm singled ended adapter. There's no balanced option out of the box, although a balanced cable is well worth it if you have a balanced source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back