Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Sep 24, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #4,141 of 4,845
not to derail the discussion but can anyone tell me why my grill has striations and how i might be able to remove them (assuming its even possible)
YJpBa3l

ZYu4tpR.jpg

Mine have the striations as well under the right lighting angle/conditions. I think it's normal and I would leave it alone if I were you.

Sep 24, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #4,142 of 4,845
I agree with @Deftone
I never liked the mojo for the above mentioned but that's another story.

On topic I believe that HD58X need a more live source to help them shine.
And they benefit a lot run balanced from a decent balanced source.
The house sound of the Fiio AKM based products is a good match.
I have heard them with Q5 , M9 and X5III with very good impressions.
Right, but i my going for mojo because of its ample power output to drive sennheiser HD6 series. Will the mentioned gears from fiio able to drive 58x/6xx to their fullest?

Sep 24, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #4,143 of 4,845
Right, but i my going for mojo because of its ample power output to drive sennheiser HD6 series. Will the mentioned gears from fiio able to drive 58x/6xx to their fullest?
If we're talking about the Q5/Q5s or X7 with the AM3E, AM3D or AM5 modules, then yes, it's ample power for the 58x. Actually, much more than ample. These things are no joke. I also think they'd be enough, power wise, for the 6xx too, but these are pickier than the 58x so I can't comment.

Sep 24, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #4,144 of 4,845

It's not just about driving to their fullest, what if plenty of power came with a rolled of sound and you didn't like it? (mojo). Power requirements for headphones are always way over exaggerated, I'd concentrate on "synergy".

Sep 24, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #4,145 of 4,845
Synergy is exactly what I look for too.
Everyone thought I was nuts when I thought the Emotiva Bas-X 100 was far better with my HE500, than the Mjolnir 1 when I had that gear.
It's not just about driving to their fullest, what if plenty of power came with a rolled of sound and you didn't like it? (mojo). Power requirements for headphones are always way over exaggerated, I'd concentrate on "synergy".

Sep 24, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #4,146 of 4,845
Mine sound great with my Liquid Carbon X, which is of course balanced. Obviously not a portable solution, but sounds great.

Shane D

Sep 24, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #4,147 of 4,845

From the balanced outputs are more that enough for HD58x not only for volume but also for quality.
You will not need anything else.
For the HD6xx i don't know , sure you will get satisfying volume but to drive them to their full potential
i much doubt that.
And by full potential we are not talking about volume but about synergy and technical ability.
But for on the go / office situations you will more than happy.
Then if you find something lacking you can add a separate external amp.
Bear in mind that the above mentioned Fiio products have very good and competent dac sections
you can utilise from the line out.

Sep 28, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #4,148 of 4,845
I need to fix the outer screen on my HD58X headphones, are there any directions on the best way to disassemble the cups?

Sep 28, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #4,149 of 4,845
I need to fix the outer screen on my HD58X headphones, are there any directions on the best way to disassemble the cups?

As with all in the HD6- series the metal grille comes right off, easily done with fingernails.

You can see it in this video at about 1:20. This video is about disassembling the HD600, but the HD58X works exactly the same in this regard. Also, you don’t need to take anything else off before removing the metal grille.

Sep 28, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #4,150 of 4,845
As with all in the HD6- series the metal grille comes right off, easily done with fingernails.

You can see it in this video at about 1:20. This video is about disassembling the HD600, but the HD58X works exactly the same in this regard. Also, you don’t need to take anything else off before removing the metal grille.

Thank you sir :)

Oct 6, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #4,151 of 4,845
Just for poops and giggles, I got a pair of Sennheiser pad adapters from Brainwavz. These little things are great. For ~10$ they allow you to experiment with any pad (that is big enough to fit) on your HD600 series headphones. I didn't expect this to work, I just did it for fun. And I was right, it was a fun experiment, but boy did it fail.

First pads I tried were the sheepskin HM5. Oh god. I didn't know the 58x could sound so bad. It sounded like putting a cylinder from finished toilet paper between the driver and my ear. Everything sounded wide, but like it was coming through a narrow tunnel. Not only that, but the FR was messed up. No subbass, very little midbass, peaky mids, shouty upper mids, hollow sound and harsh highs.

So I was like, it can't get worse than this. I was wrong. Next thing I tried were the HM5 pleather pads. They had the same kind of sound, but everything bad was turned up to 11. I'm not even gonna describe it. Take the sound you'd expect from a half broken piece of 20$ garbage, make it a bit worse and that's what you get. Brutal.

I also got a pair of microsuede pads. Now these, these are onto something. Let me be clear, they're still worse sounding than stock. But they're usable. Nasally mids, reduced bass throughout and somewhat harsh highs. They also make the headphones wider by quite a margin. But they're hella comfortable and look cool on the 58x, so I started experimenting. I put a piece of felt under the pad which calmed the highs a bit, so that was nice, the sound became a bit smoother. Then I thought I'd take off the back covers. It sounded somewhat more open, but nothing huge. So I went to the opposite direction and put a thicker piece of foam in the back. This killed a bit of the soundstage and made them sound semi open, but the result is not half bad. Again, worse by miles than the stock 58x, but it is usable and I could see me using it on occassion. Maybe movies would be nice with the added width. Or games. Or, you know, maybe my stock pads disintegrate at some point, I could use the 58x with the microsuede pads while waiting for replacement stock pads.

What is a huge benefit with all pads I tried was comfort. The 58x felt suddenly way nicer, more premium, way more comfortable. Then I hit play and forgot about it, but that's another story.

TL;DR : Don't do pads kids.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #4,152 of 4,845
Sold them. Since I have been listening to my AKG K340 for a long time, highs and upper middles (which are responsible for the naturalism of sound, the sense of presence during the performance of music) which are ideal, I still could not get used to this mishmash on highs, which is given by 580s
I am back to my AKG K340 and happy. Ribbon drivers are too far for dynamic ones.

Oct 15, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #4,155 of 4,845
these, or HD600?
Depends with your amp. If you don't have it and your source is just PC built-in sound card, phone or DAP. Safe choice is the HD58x.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back