Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Sep 23, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #4,126 of 4,845
Would this test be able to pick up a change in soundstage , and imaging? I see that there's no change in the FR, but I'm curious if it can show a change in how that same FR can sound different in how it's presented.
I have to disagree with your opinion on there being no difference with removing the foam from the grill. There's no change in the response, but in how it's presented to me sounds different. Imaging is better. Soundstage is more holographic. My opinion of course.
I was always curious if one of those tests could pick up a change in those two things I mentioned. Imaging and soundstage.

It's exactly the same sound.
(The grill pads!)

Sep 23, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #4,128 of 4,845
Thanks man. I wasn't sure how those tests work. I know on some of the sound science forums they call everything placebo if you hear differences beyond those graphs.
It is not my opinion as I haven't remove the foam in my set.
It's a third party frequency only measurement which I posted for info.
It is widely known that frequency response alone can't tell the whole truth!

Sep 23, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #4,130 of 4,845
Yeah, I meant the foam in front of the driver, below the pads. That one definitely affects the FR, especially the highs, no doubt about it. Can't say it affects soundstage/imaging much, but it does cut the treble a bit and removing it does make the treble a bit sharper. It's part of the headphones' tuning, so it's not like the back piece where opinions differ wildly.

Sep 23, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #4,131 of 4,845
Kindly suggest me dap in range of 300 bucks that can drive hd58x to the fullest. Has anyone tried fiio X7 /X7ii with am3 or am5 with Hd58x. How is this combo sounds,as i can avail X7+am5 in a good deal. Your reply is appreciated.

Sep 23, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #4,132 of 4,845
Well, I'm using mine with a Fiio Q5s that has the AM3E module on it. Running it balanced drives the 58x beautifully.

Sep 23, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #4,133 of 4,845
Yeah, I meant the foam in front of the driver, below the pads. That one definitely affects the FR, especially the highs, no doubt about it. Can't say it affects soundstage/imaging much, but it does cut the treble a bit and removing it does make the treble a bit sharper. It's part of the headphones' tuning, so it's not like the back piece where opinions differ wildly.
Hey congrats on Q5s, how is that badboy going with 58x?

Sep 23, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #4,136 of 4,845
Hey congrats on Q5s, how is that badboy going with 58x?

Any idea about X7plusAm5 combo?

How's it going? Well, let me put it this way. I was planning on getting the Q5s for portable use and then get a desktop amp to use with my PC. After getting the Q5s, I'm in no hurry to get a desktop amp anymore. The only thing that bums me is the battery that I have to recharge every now and then. Sound wise, it's spectacular and a HUGE upgrade from my previous Q1.

The amp section is the same between the X7 and the Q5/Q5s. Same modules. So the sound should be about the same, although the Q5s might sound a bit better due to the better DAC and fully balanced circuitry + the ADC volume knob that eliminates channel imbalance in practice. That said, the AM5 single ended has about the same (or more) power as the AM3E does balanced, so it should be way more than enough for the 58x.

Sep 23, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #4,138 of 4,845
not to derail the discussion but can anyone tell me why my grill has striations and how i might be able to remove them (assuming its even possible)
YJpBa3l

ZYu4tpR.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #4,140 of 4,845
I agree with @Deftone
I never liked the mojo for the above mentioned but that's another story.

On topic I believe that HD58X need a more live source to help them shine.
And they benefit a lot run balanced from a decent balanced source.
The house sound of the Fiio AKM based products is a good match.
I have heard them with Q5 , M9 and X5III with very good impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back