Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Sep 20, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #4,111 of 4,845
To be fair though the p7's are the most expensive out of the 3 sets too so maybe not enormously surprising.

Interesting comparison. Are you using the wired or wireless P7's?
I see Amazon Outlet is selling wireless recertified for $136 and I believe they can be used wired if desired.

Sep 20, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #4,112 of 4,845
Interesting comparison. Are you using the wired or wireless P7's?
I see Amazon Outlet is selling wireless recertified for $136 and I believe they can be used wired if desired.

Correct I'm using the wireless version. And I have also used them wired but I didn't notice any advantages to doing so but it's nice to have the option.

The only criticism I have of them is pretty much the same as any other closed headphone in that they don't sound open!

For $136 I would suggest you take their hand off. I really really enjoy mine.

Sep 20, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #4,113 of 4,845
Correct I'm using the wireless version. And I have also used them wired but I didn't notice any advantages to doing so but it's nice to have the option.

The only criticism I have of them is pretty much the same as any other closed headphone in that they don't sound open!

For $136 I would suggest you take their hand off. I really really enjoy mine.
Thanks I just pushed the buy button :) .... like I don't have enough HPs with this crazy hobby.

Agree with the open comment, but open are just not good for travel or private listening around others.

The more I use the HD58x the better I like them. I have never heard the 990's, but love my 1990's which come with two earpad designs allowing one to choose balanced or analytical sound

Sep 20, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #4,114 of 4,845
Thanks I just pushed the buy button :) .... like I don't have enough HPs with this crazy hobby.

Agree with the open comment, but open are just not good for travel or private listening around others.

The more I use the HD58x the better I like them. I have never heard the 990's, but love my 1990's which come with two earpad designs allowing one to choose balanced or analytical sound

Hahahaha I certainly didn't intend to get someone else to spend their hard earned but hey ho I very much doubt you'll regret it. I'm listening to the p7 now on the train. They're not noise cancelling but you can't really hear much when you've got your tunes on and even with all the background noise they sound ace to me. These are my travelling / downstairs headphones for when the other half is watching trash TV!

I'll give the hd58x more time though I think they are still good and they could well grow on me for all I know! At least I shouldn't lose too much money on the experiment if nothing else.

Sep 20, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #4,115 of 4,845
Was curious if you got your 58x new? Or if not , do you know how many hours are on them? They do change a good bit with time on them. They'll never sound like a Beyer , but they do open up a lot, and don't sound as hazy as in the beginning.
Hahahaha I certainly didn't intend to get someone else to spend their hard earned but hey ho I very much doubt you'll regret it. I'm listening to the p7 now on the train. They're not noise cancelling but you can't really hear much when you've got your tunes on and even with all the background noise they sound ace to me. These are my travelling / downstairs headphones for when the other half is watching trash TV!

I'll give the hd58x more time though I think they are still good and they could well grow on me for all I know! At least I shouldn't lose too much money on the experiment if nothing else.

Sep 20, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #4,116 of 4,845
I didn't like the 58x at all(((
Unbalanced too "juicy" sound, really hard pads,
It was painful to listen too.

I have traded them to fisher audio ti003 which sounds much better for me.

The new owner said he did a kind of pads mod and the sound became significantly better.

What sound I do like - hd600, akg k701/702/q701, german maestro 450,

My suggestion is - try to listen to before buying,

And IF you like +- same as I do - I'm sure you will not enjoy them

Sep 20, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #4,117 of 4,845
Was curious if you got your 58x new? Or if not , do you know how many hours are on them? They do change a good bit with time on them. They'll never sound like a Beyer , but they do open up a lot, and don't sound as hazy as in the beginning.

Second hand. No idea how much use they’ve had. Will persist for a while and see how it goes :)

Sep 21, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #4,118 of 4,845
Listening again this morning. I'm just not sure I'm getting on with these at all, so I think they'll be going up for sale. Every time I wear them the impression I get is that they're veiled/muffled. I've ended up putting the wire on my P7s and using those, and am enjoying them more. I think I'll be selling both the 990s and HD58x, and I might look into getting a set of Fostex, or even (shock) sticking with using the P7s.

Sep 21, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #4,120 of 4,845
That's part of their signature I think, even listening to them right now after considerable burn-in.

Yeah... many years ago I had an HD600, but I don't remember it being as veiled as this. I tried it out of every source / amp I could get my hands on and it basically never went away. Therefore I'm just concluding they just ain't for me. I don't see any point in trying to make headphones that clearly aren't your thing work. I am obviously someone who likes an upfront, lively, fun sound with plenty of bass (which I accept other people may find equally wrong!) and so I should stick with or pursue headphones with those properties :)

Sep 22, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #4,121 of 4,845
Yeah... many years ago I had an HD600, but I don't remember it being as veiled as this. I tried it out of every source / amp I could get my hands on and it basically never went away. Therefore I'm just concluding they just ain't for me. I don't see any point in trying to make headphones that clearly aren't your thing work. I am obviously someone who likes an upfront, lively, fun sound with plenty of bass (which I accept other people may find equally wrong!) and so I should stick with or pursue headphones with those properties :)

They are the most veiled sounding, I think you should stick to what you enjoy, P7. No point trying to like a headphone it will only end in frustration.

Sep 22, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #4,122 of 4,845
Well, I'm with @pbirkett on this one, the 58x does sound muffled after you start using them when you're used to a brighter sounding headphone. I haven't heard the P7, but the MSR7 that I do have are exactly like that (after modding), bright, lively, aggressive sounding, with strong, tight bass. However, while I didn't enjoy the 58x much at first compared to the MSR7, I grew to appreciate them and now I love them. They do this thing, where they make all my music sound good. No offensively bad quality recordings are enough to detract from the enjoyment of the music. The 58x always deliver. And they do vocals stellarly. And imaging, these are some of the best imaging headphones I've heard south of 500$. So for gaming, movies and some of my more more vocal focused music (as well as very complex stuff that sounds tiring on the MSR7), the 58x is my go to headphone. And now that I'm used to them, they just sound right. The MSR7 (and now, the MSR7b) are still my favorite headphones, but they're a your-music-is-bad-and-you-should-feel-bad kind of headphone, where detail is shoved down my ear canals. And I appreciate that, it's just that I sometimes want to enjoy the music and forget about the technicalities. The 58x are just what I need at these moments.

You could try to remove the foam below the pads and see how you like them, like I said before. That does add a bit of sparkle in the highs.

Sep 23, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #4,123 of 4,845
rear-removed.png

It's exactly the same sound.
(The grill pads!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back