Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Aug 31, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #3,991 of 4,845
HD58x is the entry level to the 6 series.
There is nothing in common with the 598 and 599.
It has better tonality , fuller sound , better dynamics , more micro detail , natural tonality and better instrument positioning and it is not strident as the 598/599.
The only thing lacking is the little less wide stage and that it is no phone / entry level dac friendly.
I would pick it instead of them without even a second thought.

Aug 31, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #3,992 of 4,845
Definitely agree on the sound. My kids have the 598. It's not even close. The imaging on the 598 is terrible. Yeah a little wider , but fall way behind in depth and everything else you described. 598= 3 blob anemic sound. 58x is extremely holographic. As far as entry level. That's subjective at best. I've had the 600 and 650's. I would choose neither over the 58x. Hell I'll even throw the 700's in the mix. Lol.

HD58x is the entry level to the 6 series.
There is nothing in common with the 598 and 599.
It has better tonality , fuller sound , better dynamics , more micro detail , natural tonality and better instrument positioning and it is not strident as the 598/599.
The only thing lacking is the little less wide stage and that it is no phone / entry level dac friendly.
I would pick it instead of them without even a second thought.

Aug 31, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #3,993 of 4,845
As a recent purchaser, I would also like to give a shout to the Gilmore Lite mk2 Headphone Amp... quite a bit more $ than say a Magni 3, but IMO it's a great all-rounder with all the headphones I've tried, incl the HD58X. The other favourite HP's with this amp are HD650 and Aeon Flow Open. I'm usually more of a tube person, but the capabilities of the GL2 has changed my view of how well a reasonably priced solid-state amp can perform. The smoothness, clarity, detailing and weightiness is quite remarkable. 1.5 watts of pure Class-A to boot.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #3,994 of 4,845
I wouldn't consider the 58x a 5 series can either. It looks nothing like the series. It's an exact replica of the 6 series. Also, the 6 series originated from the 580 jubilee with the creation of the 600. Me personally consider the 58x a 6 series can. And pretty much the overwhelming headphone community does. It's hard to dismiss it as not when the only difference in the 58x is the driver. Just like the rest of the 6 series. All parts are interchangeable.
58x have casing of HD6-series, but is not capable and doesn't come close to 600, 650 or 660S in terms of grain ,scalability, resolution, detail retrieval. Sennheiser took the driver from HD5 and made it look like a HD6 headphone, which is already confirmed by many reputable audiophile reviewers such as DMS, Metal etc. The driver is tunned to sound similar to HD6, but it has all of the shortcomings of HD5. That is also my observation after comparing 599 with 58x. It's not the real HD6-variant. Also 58X has nothing in common with 580 jubilee driver, which was a real HD6-capable driver.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #3,997 of 4,845
Definitely agree on the sound. My kids have the 598. It's not even close. The imaging on the 598 is terrible. Yeah a little wider , but fall way behind in depth and everything else you described. 598= 3 blob anemic sound. 58x is extremely holographic. As far as entry level. That's subjective at best. I've had the 600 and 650's. I would choose neither over the 58x. Hell I'll even throw the 700's in the mix. Lol.
I don't understand why most people reffering to 598 in comparison to 58x? HD598 is long gone, next generation HD599 is available on the market for 2 years now. It fixed all the things people were complaining about 598, which was anemic bass, distortions at higher volumes and wide but tunnel-like soundstage. If I had to descirbe anything "3 blob" it would be 599 and 58x, as well as 650 but not 589. The HD58x Jubiles have in my opinion the very same driver as 599, but tunning differently, one does not scale, image nor have the better performance than the other.

Plug 600 or 650 to some serious amp and you'll forget about 589, 599, 58x.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #3,998 of 4,845
HD 58x driver is 150Ω and HD 599 is 50Ω in case you forgot.

There is also no point to compare the entry level "cheap" 58x with 650/600 and tell as how well they sound with proper amping and how they scale etc.

58x is the starving student entry level to audiophile sound and they sound very good with a very minimal investment in a dac / amp.

And in my opinion is the best Drop product ever and one of the best (or maybe the best) price to performance headphone in the world.

And please don't get me wrong.
HD599 is an excellent headphone in it's own way and I like it a lot for what it is.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #3,999 of 4,845
58x have casing of HD6-series, but is not capable and doesn't come close to 600, 650 or 660S in terms of grain ,scalability, resolution, detail retrieval. Sennheiser took the driver from HD5 and made it look like a HD6 headphone, which is already confirmed by many reputable audiophile reviewers such as DMS, Metal etc. The driver is tunned to sound similar to HD6, but it has all of the shortcomings of HD5. That is also my observation after comparing 599 with 58x. It's not the real HD6-variant. Also 58X has nothing in common with 580 jubilee driver, which was a real HD6-capable driver.
>reputable reviewers
I don't want to come off pompous but this has been addressed before. I don't see those reviewers having any evidence of the driver being the same as any existing drivers unless you (or they) can provide some sort of insight into the engineering of such.

Sounds like they're just going off their ears which is absolutely fine and acceptable, but to state it as "confirmed" is a misattribution of unsubstantiated speculation from amateur (that is to say, they aren't to my knowledge professionally associated with the industry), run-of-the-mill audiophiles.

I could make a starkly contrasting statement that the HD58X is the 2nd best HD6-- series headphone after the HD660S but I'd get laughed out of the room because I'm not a "reputable reviewer".

I don't mind a preferential statement regarding sound quality, but to misstate speculation of the driver structure as fact requires substantiation.

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #4,000 of 4,845
I could make a starkly contrasting statement that the HD58X is the 2nd best HD6-- series headphone after the HD660S but I'd get laughed out of the room because I'm not a "reputable reviewer"

Don't worry.
You are not alone having this opinion!
And you don't need to be one.
I am one and so what?
A reviewer is another hobbyist who can write good novels!

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #4,001 of 4,845
Those reviews are just as subjective as anyone else. As already stated, how would they possibly know the specifics of the driver, unless they are part of the engineering team?
Secondly, if the 58X has all the shortcomings of HD5, how can it be tuned to sound closer to an HD6?
Seems like this will be a never ending debate, and none of it makes a whole lot of sense. Just use what you subjectively prefer. So many people saying that the 660s is nowhere near the price increase over the 58X in terms of of pretty much everything, yet the 650 blows the 58X out of the water. Again, obviously preference here. No, the 58X doesn't scale as well as the 650, but was it designed to? Nope

Sep 1, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #4,002 of 4,845
I don't understand why most people reffering to 598 in comparison to 58x? HD598 is long gone, next generation HD599 is available on the market for 2 years now. It fixed all the things people were complaining about 598, which was anemic bass, distortions at higher volumes and wide but tunnel-like soundstage. If I had to descirbe anything "3 blob" it would be 599 and 58x, as well as 650 but not 589. The HD58x Jubiles have in my opinion the very same driver as 599, but tunning differently, one does not scale, image nor have the better performance than the other.

Plug 600 or 650 to some serious amp and you'll forget about 589, 599, 58x.

I'm not hearing it that way at all. I have the 600s and the 6XXs also and have compared the three extensively. For the record I have performed the foam damping mod to the driver of the 58X so I'm not comparing the stock 58X to the 600 and 6XXs. I also have a pair of 598s. To my ears and my equipment (both with tube and solid state gear) the modded 58Xs are definitely in line with the other 600 series phones and are way better than the 598s. I also find the 58Xs to scale very well, yet be way more versatile with lower powered sources such as phones. For the record I have powered all three of these with solid state hybrid and full tube amps with outputs from 4 to 9 watts of output power so it's not like I haven't powered these with high powered (or high quality) sources.

I'm not doubting that you are hearing things the way you are. I think it just goes to show that we all have the potential to hear things very different. Equipment, listening preferences, and types of music all have a very large effect also. Honestly I prefer listening to the 58Xs more than the 600s, and 6XXs. I want to eventually get the original 580s and the 660s to have and compare the whole family, but for now I reach for the 58Xs more often then I do it's two other siblings. I think these things are so user dependent that getting ones ears on the different phones and judging for themselves which is best for them is always the best option if possible. Of course this is not always possible and that can really make decisions difficult.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #4,003 of 4,845
I'd suggest going with the HD58X to start, it sounds quite good on almost anything that I've tried them with. The HD6XX or HD650 really need a dedicated amp to get the most out of them and to me its an OTL amp like the BH Crack with selected tubes over the stock ones so this will be about a $400 to $600 amp when built.

I've found that my Sony ES HT receiver has a fairly high output impedance so my HD650 and HD6XX sound decent on it so your Marantz might actually work with the HD6XX but for watching movies I will usually go with my HD700, better soundstage and a bit more dynamic overall.

Just curious, do you think you need these expensives amps to really set the HD650 apart in comparisson to the HD58X or they already start to scale apart even with cheaper $100 amps like a O2 or Atom?

Sorry I also have to disagree, I don't know why people keep forcing this argument, it's as bad as the "58X uses a HD660 driver". Sennheiser said that the 58X uses a NEW driver, also as said before it's 150 ohm instead of 50, even if they use the same diaphragm they are different drivers with different sounds, DMS and Metal said these drivers were from the HD5 based on opinion and looks, many people in the comments had arguments against this opinion.

Tyll tought the HD660S were awful and grainy, that means the HD660 uses a HD5 driver as well? Considering that the HD58X and HD660 have somewhat similar responses maybe that's the reason people don't like them, they aren't used to the new tonality Sennheiser used.

Also you said "Plug 600 or 650 to some serious amp and you'll forget about 589, 599, 58x" well if the HD58X sound very good from the box and you need a $400 amp alongiside your much more expensive headphone so they start to sound apart to the 58X then this doesn't really seem like a victory to the 600 and 650, for me this shows how versatile the 58X is. It's is versatile like a HD5 but sound almost as good as a HD6. It may not scale using a crazy romenian tube amp but it's damn close in almost every resonable setup. I travel a lot and I play more video games than music (tho I love music and have multiple 1st vinyl pressings from important albums) and for me the 58X works because I can plug it on my V20 and be happy or plug it on my notebook without an amp and not think "Wow the headphone sounds worse now, if only I could bring my $400 tube to this trip".

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #4,004 of 4,845
>reputable reviewers
I don't want to come off pompous but this has been addressed before. I don't see those reviewers having any evidence of the driver being the same as any existing drivers unless you (or they) can provide some sort of insight into the engineering of such.
Sounds like they're just going off their ears which is absolutely fine and acceptable, but to state it as "confirmed" is a misattribution of unsubstantiated speculation from amateur (that is to say, they aren't to my knowledge professionally associated with the industry), run-of-the-mill audiophiles.
I could make a starkly contrasting statement that the HD58X is the 2nd best HD6-- series headphone after the HD660S but I'd get laughed out of the room because I'm not a "reputable reviewer".
I don't mind a preferential statement regarding sound quality, but to misstate speculation of the driver structure as fact requires substantiation.
There's absolutely no evidence 58x is using HD6-family of drivers, yet people have no problem claiming it does. I was sceptical about DMS and Metal reviews before I got a chance to hear 599 and 58x myself, but after testing them back to back now I know what they were talking about. I really don't care what's the part number of 58x driver, it propably is some sort of HD5 variation prepared exclusively for massdrop with bumped up impedence. I've heared HD600 multiple times, owned 650, briefly tested 660s and I honestly say 58x doesn't come close to any of them. The reason why I'm thinking it's some sort of HD5 driver is because I own 599 and after switching to 58x I wasn't getting a feeling like I was hearing anything HD6-series, but instead a different HD5 flavour. Mainly resolution and grain just wasn't there, it was all at the level of HD5. And it's not just Metal and DMS, you can read similar impressions on massdrop review page or even this thread. So it's words agains words two opposite clans fightin over something nobody have definite proof, only subjective hearing.

Secondly, if the 58X has all the shortcomings of HD5, how can it be tuned to sound closer to an HD6?
I don't see a reason why couldn't it be? Even monk's earbud could. Tunning and driver qualities are two diiferent stories. All headphones can be tuned to sound very similar, but one with be better to the other depending on driver capabilities and so is the case with 58x vs HD6

Seems like this will be a never ending debate, and none of it makes a whole lot of sense. Just use what you subjectively prefer. So many people saying that the 660s is nowhere near the price increase over the 58X in terms of of pretty much everything, yet the 650 blows the 58X out of the water. Again, obviously preference here. No, the 58X doesn't scale as well as the 650, but was it designed to? Nope
There's only one truth 58x cannot be both HD5 and HD6 levels of driver potential. It can only be one way, what we have now are contradicting opinions. The debate will hopefully come to an end at some point.

I'm not hearing it that way at all. I have the 600s and the 6XXs also and have compared the three extensively. For the record I have performed the foam damping mod to the driver of the 58X so I'm not comparing the stock 58X to the 600 and 6XXs. I also have a pair of 598s. To my ears and my equipment (both with tube and solid state gear) the modded 58Xs are definitely in line with the other 600 series phones and are way better than the 598s. I also find the 58Xs to scale very well, yet be way more versatile with lower powered sources such as phones. For the record I have powered all three of these with solid state hybrid and full tube amps with outputs from 4 to 9 watts of output power so it's not like I haven't powered these with high powered (or high quality) sources.
I'm not doubting that you are hearing things the way you are. I think it just goes to show that we all have the potential to hear things very different. Equipment, listening preferences, and types of music all have a very large effect also. Honestly I prefer listening to the 58Xs more than the 600s, and 6XXs. I want to eventually get the original 580s and the 660s to have and compare the whole family, but for now I reach for the 58Xs more often then I do it's two other siblings. I think these things are so user dependent that getting ones ears on the different phones and judging for themselves which is best for them is always the best option if possible. Of course this is not always possible and that can really make decisions difficult.
That's very interesting becasue from what I know most people don't hear a difference with that foam mod vs stock. I was intending to do it myself, but after reading like 20th massdrop review about it doesnt make any difference I let that idea go.

Again 589 are out of question, both 599 and 58x are much better options.

Sorry I also have to disagree, I don't know why people keep forcing this argument, it's as bad as the "58X uses a HD660 driver". Sennheiser said that the 58X uses a NEW driver, also as said before it's 150 ohm instead of 50, even if they use the same diaphragm they are different drivers with different sounds, DMS and Metal said these drivers were from the HD5 based on opinion and looks, many people in the comments had arguments against this opinion.

Tyll tought the HD660S were awful and grainy, that means the HD660 uses a HD5 driver as well? Considering that the HD58X and HD660 have somewhat similar responses maybe that's the reason people don't like them, they aren't used to the new tonality Sennheiser used.

Also you said "Plug 600 or 650 to some serious amp and you'll forget about 589, 599, 58x" well if the HD58X sound very good from the box and you need a $400 amp alongiside your much more expensive headphone so they start to sound apart to the 58X then this doesn't really seem like a victory to the 600 and 650, for me this shows how versatile the 58X is. It's is versatile like a HD5 but sound almost as good as a HD6. It may not scale using a crazy romenian tube amp but it's damn close in almost every resonable setup. I travel a lot and I play more video games than music (tho I love music and have multiple 1st vinyl pressings from important albums) and for me the 58X works because I can plug it on my V20 and be happy or plug it on my notebook without an amp and not think "Wow the headphone sounds worse now, if only I could bring my $400 tube to this trip".
No they did not make such claims based on looks. They did it based on sound compariosn and so am I. Did you even watch their reviews?

Tyll compared 660S to other HD6-series headphones, not the 58x which at that time didn't even exist. Not to mention there are multiple reports about driver problems affecting some 660S batches. People are reporting they've sold their 660S then repurchased to find out the sound is different. Hopefully Sennheiser will resolve quality control issues with the updated just released 660S design and packaging refresh.

As to what you have said about amping that's the reason I got rid of my 650 and never bought 600 (but tested them and preffered 650). I will never get 650 again unless I invest in better amp. People have no idea how HD6 sound like if they listen to computer, smartphone or basic cheap amps. Maybe that's the reason many put 58x in the same league with 650 and 600.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #4,005 of 4,845
There's absolutely no evidence 58x is using HD6-family of drivers, yet people have no problem claiming it does. I was sceptical about DMS and Metal reviews before I got a chance to hear 599 and 58x myself, but after testing them back to back now I know what they were talking about. I really don't care what's the part number of 58x driver, it propably is some sort of HD5 variation prepared exclusively for massdrop with bumped up impedence. I've heared HD600 multiple times, owned 650, briefly tested 660s and I honestly say 58x doesn't come close to any of them. The reason why I'm thinking it's some sort of HD5 driver is because I own 599 and after switching to 58x I wasn't getting a feeling like I was hearing anything HD6-series, but instead a different HD5 flavour. Mainly resolution and grain just wasn't there, it was all at the level of HD5. And it's not just Metal and DMS, you can read similar impressions on massdrop review page or even this thread. So it's words agains words two opposite clans fightin over something nobody have definite proof, only subjective hearing.

I don't see a reason why couldn't it be? Even monk's earbud could. Tunning and driver qualities are two diiferent stories. All headphones can be tuned to sound very similar, but one with be better to the other depending on driver capabilities and so is the case with 58x vs HD6

There's only one truth 58x cannot be both HD5 and HD6 levels of driver potential. It can only be one way, what we have now are contradicting opinions. The debate will hopefully come to an end at some point.

That's very interesting becasue from what I know most people don't hear a difference with that foam mod vs stock. I was intending to do it myself, but after reading like 20th massdrop review about it doesnt make any difference I let that idea go.

Again 589 are out of question, both 599 and 58x are much better options.

No they did not make such claims based on looks. They did it based on sound compariosn and so am I. Did you even watch their reviews?

Tyll compared 660S to other HD6-series headphones, not the 58x which at that time didn't even exist. Not to mention there are multiple reports about driver problems affecting some 660S batches. People are reporting they've sold their 660S then repurchased to find out the sound is different. Hopefully Sennheiser will resolve quality control issues with the updated just released 660S design and packaging refresh.

As to what you have said about amping that's the reason I got rid of my 650 and never bought 600 (but tested them and preffered 650). I will never get 650 again unless I invest in better amp. People have no idea how HD6 sound like if they listen to computer, smartphone or basic cheap amps. Maybe that's the reason many put 58x in the same league with 650 and 600.
Very presumptuous of you to assume others haven't demoed pricey cans from pricey sources.
We don't come here to flex what we've demoed and what we have access to, or is that what we need to do so you don't take us all for fools?
What sources are you suggesting we should try? Every headphone I demo in-store comes out of a Hugo TT 2 or CMA800i just to make sure I'm not "missing out" on anything. If that's not good enough for you, I'm not sure what would be.
In my opinion, past a certain point, scaling with sources is madness unless you have a set of youthful, well-preserved golden ears.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back