Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Mar 21, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #3,646 of 4,845
Mar 22, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #3,647 of 4,845
This is the curve on Sonarworks for the HD 660s ... the grey line is the original they measured ... the orange line is the adjustment for my age/preferences.

upload_2019-3-22_7-31-31.png

Mar 22, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #3,648 of 4,845
Also, it appears that the Sonarworks HD-58X profile is now available ... not showing on their website but shows up when you add a profile.
upload_2019-3-22_7-44-43.png

Mar 22, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #3,649 of 4,845
i-ccTRx4c.jpg

i-7gJRdfD.jpg

i-fGGffXw.jpg

i-67tRkQD-X3.jpg

i-Znv3dVH-X3.jpg

Got in the Yaxi Alcantara pads yesterday.

Quick initial impressions follow. Noticeably improve subbass impact, more of an increase from stock to Yaxi than the difference between 58X and 6XX. Warmer fuller sound, with a little less treble presence. Drum hits and bass guitar has more weight/body behind them. Don't use the L & R foam that comes with them under the earpads, it's a noticeably denser foam (can't even see the driver under them like you can with the stock foam) and will add a little bit of veil (more veil to the sound than a 6XX) - just reuse stock foam pieces.

But do use the L & R foam under the grilles if you wish though... seems to be a little better balance than with no foam/stock foam. If you feel the stock HD58X sounds too thin, has a little too much treble, and not enough subbass or punch... these will work great. I prefer them to stock pads - I do like warmer tone, fuller sounding headphones with very good subbass impact and midbass punch.

Oh yeah comfort... noticeably improved with more room inside the cups.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #3,650 of 4,845
i-ccTRx4c.jpg

i-7gJRdfD.jpg

i-fGGffXw.jpg

i-67tRkQD-X3.jpg

i-Znv3dVH-X3.jpg

Got in the Yaxi Alcantara pads yesterday.

Quick initial impressions follow. Noticeably improve subbass impact, more of an increase from stock to Yaxi than the difference between 58X and 6XX. Warmer fuller sound, with a little less treble presence. Drum hits and bass guitar has more weight/body behind them. Don't use the L & R foam that comes with them under the earpads, it's a noticeably denser foam (can't even see the driver under them like you can with the stock foam) and will add a little bit of veil (more veil to the sound than a 6XX) - just reuse stock foam pieces.

But do use the L & R foam under the grilles if you wish though... seems to be a little better balance than with no foam/stock foam. If you feel the stock HD58X sounds too thin, has a little too much treble, and not enough subbass or punch... these will work great. I prefer them to stock pads - I do like warmer tone, fuller sounding headphones with very good subbass impact and midbass punch.

Oh yeah comfort... noticeably improved with more room inside the cups.

In some ways it made the sound tilt to a more relaxed, mellow, thick sound like on the HD650? If yes maybe this is a way to taste a little the 650 experience if you only own the 58X?

Mar 23, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #3,651 of 4,845
In some ways it made the sound tilt to a more relaxed, mellow, thick sound like on the HD650? If yes maybe this is a way to taste a little the 650 experience if you only own the 58X?

Still trying to get better handle on the HD650 Yaxi pads, but it's more of a darker sound like Argon Mk3 with bass closer to a TH-X00 Purpleheart than an HD650/6XX.

Right now actually in the middle of TH-X00 Purpleheart Yaxi pad comparing to the Jmoney V3 pad...

i-6mXqp3K.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #3,652 of 4,845
I seem to have a very strong parasitic noise on the left side of the headphone. Do you guys might know how this happened ?
This electric noise doesn't happen with my K701, I also need to precise that I have a Fiio E10K as a DAC and my main source is my computer.
I happen to have very low parasitic noise on the right sides of both headphone but suddenly it appeared in the left side of the HD58x. Could it be because I removed the foam a few months ago?

EDIT: Seems the issue just disappeared after I wiped some hair off the inside of the headphone

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #3,653 of 4,845
I seem to have a very strong parasitic noise on the left side of the headphone. Do you guys might know how this happened ?
This electric noise doesn't happen with my K701, I also need to precise that I have a Fiio E10K as a DAC and my main source is my computer.
I happen to have very low parasitic noise on the right sides of both headphone but suddenly it appeared in the left side of the HD58x. Could it be because I removed the foam a few months ago?

EDIT: Seems the issue just disappeared after I wiped some hair off the inside of the headphone

Did you cover the bass hole with some foam/felt? If no I think you should put something there. It's very unlikely that something will happen (I had my bass hole open for months) but still, it's possible something bigger could get inside and maybe dent/hurt the driver

Mar 23, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #3,655 of 4,845
Still trying to get better handle on the HD650 Yaxi pads, but it's more of a darker sound like Argon Mk3 with bass closer to a TH-X00 Purpleheart than an HD650/6XX.

Right now actually in the middle of TH-X00 Purpleheart Yaxi pad comparing to the Jmoney V3 pad...

i-6mXqp3K.jpg

I was curious about the Yaxi pads (love the Yaxi's on my Koss PortaPro) but I'm wondering how they compare to my Dekoni Elite Velour that I currently have on my HD6XX.

Mar 27, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #3,656 of 4,845
Okay, I think I love the HD58X now - just took Yaxi pads + a little Loki love + some Nigel Good...

Laptop ->Schiit EITR -> Gustard X20U DAC -> Schiit Loki -> Gustard H10 -> Yaxified HD58X (Yaxi Alcantara pads + Yaxi foam in the grilles)...

i-p7n4xWX.jpg

Closer up shot of the Loki settings:
i-KCm3QN8.jpg

One of the smoothest, most relaxing, organic sounding headphones I've heard - with the Loki settings and Yaxi pads it has this warm, liquid, SMOOTH energetic feel to it that stock HD58X pads simply can't give...stock pads have harsher, edgier, thinner, and brighter sound. The Yaxi pads give a nice fullness and weight to the midbass and subbass. Really getting TH-X00 PH vibes here from the bass but with a more even full spectrum presentation and less bite/snap. Detail seems no worse than with the stock HD58X pads, though speed may be just a tad slower. Soundstage definitely enlarged over stock pads.

Yaxi pads + Yaxi earpad foam in the grilles are my preference over the stock setup... wasn't really using the HD58X much before except for gaming because STAX L300 Limited does everything better (especially once you seal the pad base and unlock its full potential.) But now, the HD58X is different enough from everything else I own to have a place....it's the laidback, absolutely relaxed, smooth operator that makes an Argon Mk3 seem a little edgy yet its low end can hang with the Argon Mk3 or TH-X00 Purpleheart without feeling out of place whatsoever...

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #3,657 of 4,845
Okay, I think I love the HD58X now - just took Yaxi pads + a little Loki love + some Nigel Good...

Laptop ->Schiit EITR -> Gustard X20U DAC -> Schiit Loki -> Gustard H10 -> Yaxified HD58X (Yaxi Alcantara pads + Yaxi foam in the grilles)...

i-p7n4xWX.jpg

Closer up shot of the Loki settings:
i-KCm3QN8.jpg

One of the smoothest, most relaxing, organic sounding headphones I've heard - with the Loki settings and Yaxi pads it has this warm, liquid, SMOOTH energetic feel to it that stock HD58X pads simply can't give...stock pads have harsher, edgier, thinner, and brighter sound. The Yaxi pads give a nice fullness and weight to the midbass and subbass. Really getting TH-X00 PH vibes here from the bass but with a more even full spectrum presentation and less bite/snap. Detail seems no worse than with the stock HD58X pads, though speed may be just a tad slower. Soundstage definitely enlarged over stock pads.

Yaxi pads + Yaxi earpad foam in the grilles are my preference over the stock setup... wasn't really using the HD58X much before except for gaming because STAX L300 Limited does everything better (especially once you seal the pad base and unlock its full potential.) But now, the HD58X is different enough from everything else I own to have a place....it's the laidback, absolutely relaxed, smooth operator that makes an Argon Mk3 seem a little edgy yet its low end can hang with the Argon Mk3 or TH-X00 Purpleheart without feeling out of place whatsoever...

Oh great, so it's kinda like what I hoped for, it made the 58X smoother. Now you made me want to buy it. I just wonder if it would make it too laid back for me, I'm looking for a way to kinda have the mellow sound of the 6XX so maybe this is a way.
What you think about comfort using the Yaxis?

A shame I don't have a Loki or this amp. Max I will have soon is a Toppind D10 DAC and a DIY O2 that might suck or might end up working fine :p

Mar 28, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #3,658 of 4,845
Hi,

Can anyone provide me with the following:
  • An example of 58x grain, i.e a specific track and time window to listen to.
  • An example of 58x missing detail, i.e. a track and time window I can grab a more resolving pair and listen for differences.
Thanks.

Mar 30, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #3,659 of 4,845
Anyone using the HD58X with the little bear B4/B4X? Would you recommend it as a first amp? (after watching Zeos' review, I really, really want one, but IDK if it's wise to ship it from the US to India with very little possibility of returning it)

Mar 30, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #3,660 of 4,845
Anyone using the HD58X with the little bear B4/B4X? Would you recommend it as a first amp? (after watching Zeos' review, I really, really want one, but IDK if it's wise to ship it from the US to India with very little possibility of returning it)
I have not used the Little Bear, but for HD58X it should do well. Unlike the older siblings, HD58x are not a chameleon. In other words, their sound dont change as much from amp to amp.

My personal recommendation for HD58x would be to go for a proper, reasonably-priced solid state amp like JDS Labs Atom. Less worry (possibility of tube going out/burnt is real), good customer service, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back