Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jan 10, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #3,271 of 4,845
I am looking for an open-backed headphone for mixdowns (original EDM using Ableton or Logic Pro X) to give me a different perspective from my Sony 7506 and my ATH M40x. Between the 58X or 6XX what would be your recommendation? Thanks

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #3,272 of 4,845
On the main page of github it explains where to find your settings and how to use them.

It's hard to get really accurate measurements in the treble range so the EQ could be boosting something to an unnatural level. I wish I had a more user friendly EQ like what is used in recording software. You would be able to create a sharp notch filter and slide it across the frequency range until you hear the particular frequency that is causing issues. I'll just have to experiment more tho.

Since the point of the Harman target is to essentially make headphones sound the same, I think you'd be better off experimenting with more EQ if the sound isn't what you want. You can always make the 58X more punchy, this usually means boosting the midbass, but I have found that pulling up the midbass can really muddy up the rest of the frequency range. The music will start to sound congested so I would use midbass boost sparingly.

If you aren't familiar with the Fletcher Munson curves, that something you should look into. You brain EQ's sound differently depending on the volume. For reference audio in recording studios they will typically leave their monitors at a preset dB level that doesn't change because it is the only way to hear the sound accurately between mixes.

And yes the extra unused filters are there because I converted the eq.txt file to PeaceEQ and peace has 10 bands by default. You can remove them if you want

EDIT: well damn, it actually looks like there are filters that weren't applied. I'll have to fix that. In the meantime you can always manually enter the setting from the github page

Oh I found now... I work with programming and I somehow I always get lost in Git Hub oh well...

About the EQ to increase punch I was thinking about increasing more the volumes from 65hz and lower kinda like in Oratory.

"You brain EQ's sound differently depending on the volume" well maybe that's why I'm having issues liking my custom rom on the LG V20, it's not as loud as it used to be on Nougat, and I'm about to do something risky just to get the louder volumes again.

Also saw the RTings video you linked, very interesting on the challenges to measure a headphone. I'll try to fix the treble if I still have issues but as you said finding the specific frequency that's giving me problems will require some work

I am looking for an open-backed headphone for mixdowns (original EDM using Ableton or Logic Pro X) to give me a different perspective from my Sony 7506 and my ATH M40x. Between the 58X or 6XX what would be your recommendation? Thanks

Well the 58X will have more sub-bass and impact, less mids and more treble, it will sound more lively and punchy also less veiled. The 6XX will have more focus on mids with vocals, instruments etc, it will be more refined, relaxed, silky and mellow. The 6XX is harder to drive than the 58X.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #3,273 of 4,845
@highlightshadow Thanks for the tip m8! I didn't realize that was an option!

@Electrolite you can try out what HighlightShadow suggested and sweep thru the range with a sharp notch filter until you find the offending frequencies.
I thought the Rtings vid was also really informative. I found it linked in the usage instructions on the AutoEQ github, which is also well worth the read.

Lol I still don't understand github tbh

I honestly don't think open back headphones suit EDM all that well, but the 58X is the best open back option from senny for bass response. You are still not going to feel the thump that you're probably used to with any closed back headphone. Felt vibration plays a huge role in how bass is perceived

If you are mixing with headphones I would highly suggest trying the Harman target EQ for your specific headphones. It is designed to replicate the sound heard from reference monitors in a tuned listening/recording studio. Meaning if you mix with the preset EQ applied to your headphones, what sounds good in your headphones should sound good on a nice set of speakers in an ideal room.

Here you can see the difference between the 58X and the HD650 aka HD6xx
*using diffuse field compensation, yuck
58x v 6xx.PNG

Happy days! :smile:

I just picked up a 6 pack of Rockboard sound treatment panels for a mere 40 ducks!
Just gotta wrap them puppies up and I'll have some legit studio treatment :call_me:

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #3,274 of 4,845
I’m sorry. I don’t think I made myself clear about what advice I am seeking. I appreciate the input, though.

The Sony 7506 is commonly used for studio monitoring. It has a reputation for having tight bass and good instrument separation. The ATH M40x is a more balanced little brother of the M50, commonly used in studios. I’m not looking to EQ the headphone to a graph. I want to get a zeitgeist off-the -shelf that would represent what an enthusiast would possibly use or experience in addition to the previously mentioned headphones. I would then EQ my mix so it could sound good using the different headphones, as well as studio monitor speakers.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #3,275 of 4,845
I’m sorry. I don’t think I made myself clear about what advice I am seeking. I appreciate the input, though.

The Sony 7506 is commonly used for studio monitoring. It has a reputation for having tight bass and good instrument separation. The ATH M40x is a more balanced little brother of the M50, commonly used in studios. I’m not looking to EQ the headphone to a graph. I want to get a zeitgeist off-the -shelf that would represent what an enthusiast would possibly use or experience in addition to the previously mentioned headphones. I would then EQ my mix so it could sound good using the different headphones, as well as studio monitor speakers.

My point was that most people listening to EDM are probably not listening on open back headphones, so mixing EDM to sound good on something like the 58X means it probably won't sound that good out of speakers or closed back headphones. The bass response of the 58x is good but flat, when you listen to a mix on speakers in a room (the way recordings are meant to be heard most of the time), the bass will sound significantly boosted. That means if you mix with the 58X to get the amount of bass that sounds good for EDM, when you play it back on speakers it will probably be too much.

The 58X would be recommended over the 6XX, but neither should be recommended for monitoring, especially EDM.
That is unless you EQ them...

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #3,276 of 4,845
Enough about EQ....

That said, if you want tight, solid bass, the 58X is a great choice.

Jan 10, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #3,279 of 4,845
It is not that, it is just getting monotonous. lol
Lol yeah, esp for people like me that never uses EQ for headphones.

Jan 10, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #3,280 of 4,845
If you find the DAP more convenient for you there is no need for an amp.
Any quality DAP will drive HD58x very well especially balanced.
Just for power comparison i use them with Fiio K3 and Fiio Q5 from the balanced outputs and i have no lack of power to ear deafening levels , dynamics or any clipping at all.
Hmm. So does balanced just sound louder? Here's the thing, I sometimes feel that my laptop doesn't achieve a sound as three-dimensional as is possible with these, especially on some files (even FLACs sometimes). If balanced on my DAP fixes that (do suggest a good cable), then I'd prefer the DAP.

Jan 11, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #3,282 of 4,845
Hmm. So does balanced just sound louder? Here's the thing, I sometimes feel that my laptop doesn't achieve a sound as three-dimensional as is possible with these, especially on some files (even FLACs sometimes). If balanced on my DAP fixes that (do suggest a good cable), then I'd prefer the DAP.
Whether or not you notice a difference with balanced depends yourself, on the source and how well it implemented the balanced out, then the headphone itself.

Jan 11, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #3,283 of 4,845

There should be no perceptible difference in sound quality (for any well designed amp) between balanced and unbalanced.
An unbalanced amp will use a ground reference and amplify a positive voltage. Balanced amps split the incoming audio into a + and - voltage and one side of the amp amplifies the - voltage of the signal and the other side amplifies the + voltage.
The only real advantage for headphones is you double the power output compared to unbalanced because you essentially have 2 amps per channel vs 1. If anything this can degrade the signal quality because of the added circuitry and complexity.
Balanced (differential) audio has been used in live sound and recording for decades. It is used for mic/line level signal because you can run hundreds of feet of cable and cancel out the noise picked up by the wire. There is no reason to use it for short signal paths like headphones.

Great article debunking the myth that "balanced is better"
https://www.stereophile.com/features/335/index.html

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #3,284 of 4,845
Jan 11, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #3,285 of 4,845
Lol yeah, esp for people like me that never uses EQ for headphones.
THIS

Not sure I would call some dude changing some Bass, Mid, and Treble levels in some 3rd party software... "science".

The headphones are tuned to sound a certain way on a hardware level, you are just adding another layer to alter that. I want the purest unaltered sound the headphone was meant to produce.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back