Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Oct 9, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #2,536 of 4,845
The 58X definitely don't have that "wall" effect. It's just a more warm and intimate presentation. I made a switch from the M50s to the HD558 years ago, and that was a dramatic change in terms of warmth and spaciousness. The 58x is even better in terms of presenting the music with less distracting coloration, although it is a contained sound. Within that intimate space, separation is very good. They're a no-brainer for the price.

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #2,537 of 4,845
I have both. The bass on the M50s is a bit more solid sounding as it is a closed back. The treble on the M50s is sharper and more pronounced. The M50s midrange is nasal and colored sounding to my ears. Soundstage is narrow on both the M50x and the 58X. I wouldn't go for the 58x if soundstage is the goal. My AKG K612s have a very wide soundstage. My DT990 Pros are also reasonably wide with a more solid center image compared to the K612. The 58x aren't boring, but they are much warmer sounding than the M50s. I won't speak on detail, as neither one has amazed me in that respect, but I imagine the colored sound of the M50s could be obscuring in some areas. The 58x have a very close to the head type of sound.

I know the two aren't entirely comparable (50x vs 40x) but I have the Audio Technica M40x and I like your description of the mids--I might add hollow to the nasal and colored. Also having the 58X I would say that it's the more mid-range detailed can vs. that line of Audio Technica. On any given day I would reach for the 58X before the Audio Technica. In fact I rarely reach for the 40x's unless I just want sound isolation.

Sorry, my 2 cents, didn't mean to stray off topic!

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #2,538 of 4,845
Listening again I should say that the 58x are becoming more detailed with time and burn-in. The soundstage has also improved, and may continue to do so. My advice is definitely buy them, and give them time. I tried the HD 598 SR last year, and these eat them for breakfast and are currently less expensive..

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #2,539 of 4,845
I know the two aren't entirely comparable (50x vs 40x) but I have the Audio Technica M40x and I like your description of the mids--I might add hollow to the nasal and colored. Also having the 58X I would say that it's the more mid-range detailed can vs. that line of Audio Technica. On any given day I would reach for the 58X before the Audio Technica. In fact I rarely reach for the 40x's unless I just want sound isolation.

Sorry, my 2 cents, didn't mean to stray off topic!

Agreed on hollow. Switching to the HD 558 was pretty shocking in how full and rich the midrange sounded by comparison.

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #2,540 of 4,845
The 58X definitely don't have that "wall" effect. It's just a more warm and intimate presentation. I made a switch from the M50s to the HD558 years ago, and that was a dramatic change in terms of warmth and spaciousness. The 58x is even better in terms of presenting the music with less distracting coloration, although it is a contained sound. Within that intimate space, separation is very good. They're a no-brainer for the price.

I was looking at the lower range Sennheisers too for something different. Is the HD 559 just a newer version of the 558 with basically the same sound?

Oct 9, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #2,542 of 4,845
Not sure how much time you have on yours, but the Soundstage on mine improved dramatically once I got closer to the 50 hour mark. Everything seems to open up into a solid 3D holographic entity instead of the 3blob type presentation.

The 58x will never be a HD700 or HD800. Imo the 58x has a more realistic soundstage in comparison. Width, height, and depth seem equal and natural sounding.
All subjective though.
Cheers.
Listening again I should say that the 58x are becoming more detailed with time and burn-in. The soundstage has also improved, and may continue to do so. My advice is definitely buy them, and give them time. I tried the HD 598 SR last year, and these eat them for breakfast and are currently less expensive..

Oct 9, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #2,543 of 4,845
I bought two one is stock the other has the felt buffering material removed and i most often listen to the modded pair and i also have every pair of the 6 series except i returned the 660s because i preferred the 58X

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #2,544 of 4,845
@Filter500
Huh, I see. Well, maybe it's the DACs on my devices doing that. As long as the headphones themselves are fine, I'm OK. I'm gonna upgrade my gear anyway, hopefully sooner rather than later, so I hope it won't be an issue after that. Thanks a lot!

@LNuneek
I'm gonna agree with Filter500. You won't be disappointed by thr 58x. I have the MSR7, which are better than the M50x and the M40x at mids and soundstage, even at stock. Modded, they crush both the others. Their soundstage is great, period. When we factor in that they are closed back, it's stupid. But even so, there is always a "wall" , as you say. A few pages back I was talking about it. As big as their soundstage is, it always feels confined to a closed space. On a friend's M40x, the soundstage feels like a very very small room. On the modded MSR7 it feels like a concert hall. It's still a closed space, but it's big. Enter the 58x. They're narrow for an open back, but their soundstage is more natural. It feels effortless, like you're in an open space and sounds happen around you. They're not far away, but they are in no way confined. If anything, it sounds as if the soundstage can extend infinitely, but it doesn't do so by choice. I don't know if that makes any sense, I hope it does.

They are a great headphone, really worth your time and money. And they improve with burn in and with better gear, so even if you are a bit underwhelmed at first, give them (and yourself) time. The only thing you may miss is the bass, the slam and power of it on closed backs, but what you get in return is cleaner, more natural bass. It handles everything like a champ. You won't be disappointed!

Oct 9, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #2,545 of 4,845
I got my 58X today and here are my thoughts:

- it sounds very enclosed (intimate?) but the separation is very good with a dark background and layering. Soundstage is just a little small
- it’s incredibly comfortable
- an iPhone X drives it very well. Sounds better out of it than my N5ii
- treble seems rolled off? Compared to my 6XX. Soundstage depth/height is definitely lower
- mid-bass seems a bit congested? Clear, but closer to the vocals than I like it to be. Again, might be the intimate presentation. No overlap of frequencies (bleed) but everything just seems more tightly packed

I think I need some time to adjust to the signature and more time for burn in. I’m used to wide, round and spacious sounding IEMs/headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #2,546 of 4,845
Spend a solid week with it. Out of the box they were meh.
I got my 58X today and here are my thoughts:

- it sounds very enclosed (intimate?) but the separation is very good with a dark background and layering. Soundstage is just a little small
- it’s incredibly comfortable
- an iPhone X drives it very well. Sounds better out of it than my N5ii
- treble seems rolled off? Compared to my 6XX. Soundstage depth/height is definitely lower
- mid-bass seems a bit congested? Clear, but closer to the vocals than I like it to be. Again, might be the intimate presentation. No overlap of frequencies (bleed) but everything just seems more tightly packed

I think I need some time to adjust to the signature and more time for burn in. I’m used to wide, round and spacious sounding IEMs/headphones.

Oct 9, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #2,547 of 4,845
Oct 10, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #2,549 of 4,845
My pair of HD58Xs arrived today.. I'm impressed with how cheap shipping is with Massdrop but how quickly it gets to New Zealand. After a bit of time with them so far, I'll say they sound good. I don't have the HD6XXs anymore for direct comparison, and I know comparing by memory is dangerous territory, but when I first tried the HD6XXs I felt like I finally got what everyone had been saying about the veil - a slightly distant feel to the music, that required a moment of accustoming to get used to. But I don't get the feeling at all with the HD58Xs, and the bass is more impactful than I remember getting out of the HD6XXs, with the same source.

The HD58Xs sound great out of the Massdrop CTH and can even be driven well out of a Plenue V (1.7 Vrms output); I love that the reduced impedance makes them that bit more versatile to easily use with portable sources.

Oct 10, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #2,550 of 4,845
Is there anyone who owns an Audio Technica M50 and a 58X around and can give me a sound comparison between the two headphones?

I've owned the M50's for years and thinking of getting the 58X to experience something different in terms of sound quality/experience and I'm getting quite bored of the M50's lack of soundstage.

My only concern is that I may find the 58X too boring or maybe way too bass light and may not be quite satisfied.

Lastly, will I experience a lot more detail in music in the 58X compared to the M50?
Also have both but my M50x is slightly modified (dynamat in the cups and Shure velour ear pads) so they sound quite a bit better to me compared to a stock M50x. The M50x has a bit more emphasis in the upper mids and lower treble compared to the HD58X, a bit shouty to me, sound stage is quite a bit better on the HD58X to me but it still has a bit of 3 blob sound compared to other headphones that I have. Yes you will experience a lot more details in the music with the HD58X but I think it might sound a bit weird at first in you never had open headphones before but at $150 these are a no brainer and they do sound quite good out of a phone or low power DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back