Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Sep 25, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #2,341 of 4,845
Sep 25, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #2,342 of 4,845
Anyone used IFI Nano w/ HD58x?

Also, side note. The Q1 handles them beautifully. @RandomDave are you sure you were running them on high gain? I mean, I put them on in a loud city bus on my way home and by the time I turned the pot to 6 I couldn't hear anything else from the outside and was getting weird looks from the other passengers. Or maybe your music is too quiet?

And this is single-ended? If so I'll pull the trigger on the Q1 MKII.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #2,343 of 4,845
I just received mine and first impressions are great. I have to admit that they are way closer to my modded MSR7 than I'd hoped, both in sound signature and quality, but that just speaks volumes about how great the MSR7 can be and it's not something bad about the 58x. I just hoped they'd be a bit more different. The most prominent difference is that the 58x comparatively lacks a bit in treble while the MSR7 lack a bit in the mids, but the difference isn't huge in either case. Bass is very similar too. The MSR7 is more lively sounding and even a bit wider, but the soundstage of the 58x, however limited, sounds more natural, probably due to them being open. Overall I'm impressed by these, but I've heard them only briefly and more details will have to wait for a few days. I gotta break them in and listen more.

Some quick observations. They are smaller than I thought! I always had this impression that the HD6 line was larger. Nope, they aren't really bigger than their 5 series headphones. Also, they aren't metal and leather like the MSR7 is mainly, but man do they feel just as solid. The clamp is JUST right for me too. Great fit. Gonna test them out in gaming and movies later.

Also, side note. The Q1 handles them beautifully. @RandomDave are you sure you were running them on high gain? I mean, I put them on in a loud city bus on my way home and by the time I turned the pot to 6 I couldn't hear anything else from the outside and was getting weird looks from the other passengers. Or maybe your music is too quiet?
My music is ReplayGained with foobar using per-track gain and clipping protection (i don't wanna constantly adjust volume down on very loud songs). On 7, the volume is OK for listening (not sure how many dB not in the mood to bother with calculations atm), but i can hear slight treble distortion. I am looking for an amp that can make the headphone uncomfortably loud on low gain but not blow it up, so that in the future when i got more hungry cans (or have to replace HD58X drivers with 650 drivers because i blow it up anyway), i have enough power in reserve to be loud without distortion. I was originally going for NFB15.32 but the guy sold it few hours before i found the deal, so i am real pissed because i hoped for a great amp/dac for Magni 3 price.
Also, i need loud peak because i like to put on a song i really like and blast it like a total retard (at home ofc) and then just turn it down real quiet and listen to something on the background.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #2,345 of 4,845
The dual WM8740s have a nice sound to them, not quite neutral, with some warmth for pleasant sound. I recommend keeping the NFB15 in mind as an alternative the SABRE NFB11.

Sep 25, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #2,347 of 4,845
And this is single-ended? If so I'll pull the trigger on the Q1 MKII.
The Q1 mk1 only has a single-ended output, so yeah. It's true that it's barely enough for the 58x, though. Through Spotify or with FLAC songs that haven't had their volume decreased too much to prevent clipping, they're fine. But I was listening to a FLAC rip of Blind Guardian's Beyond The Red Mirror earlier and it struggled a bit. I had to push it to like 6.5 on high gain. I didn't hear any distortion or anything, but the 58x is at the limit of what the Q1 can do probably. Also, @RandomDave said that SE on the Mk1 is significantly less powerful. I suppose he means compared to the Mk2's balanced output, because SE vs SE, the Q1 has almost double the power. But when going balanced, the Mk2 is a bit more powerful. I don't know if it's significant, but I digress. I wouldn't use the Mk2 single ended, though. Not with the 58x at least. I'd love to hear the Q5 with these, that would make a glorious combo.

PS : Hanschi's vocals in Beyond The Red Mirror (especially The Throne) sound absolutely glorious on these. I mean, the guy's a god anyway, but these make it easier to appreciate him.
My music is ReplayGained with foobar using per-track gain and clipping protection (i don't wanna constantly adjust volume down on very loud songs). On 7, the volume is OK for listening (not sure how many dB not in the mood to bother with calculations atm), but i can hear slight treble distortion. I am looking for an amp that can make the headphone uncomfortably loud on low gain but not blow it up, so that in the future when i got more hungry cans (or have to replace HD58X drivers with 650 drivers because i blow it up anyway), i have enough power in reserve to be loud without distortion. I was originally going for NFB15.32 but the guy sold it few hours before i found the deal, so i am real pissed because i hoped for a great amp/dac for Magni 3 price.
Also, i need loud peak because i like to put on a song i really like and blast it like a total retard (at home ofc) and then just turn it down real quiet and listen to something on the background.

Ah, I see. So most of your songs are probably quieter than mine. Not to mention I use Spotify a lot like a dirty peasant (but I find it so practical that I'm not giving it up any time soon). That explains it. With that said, as I said above, the 58x is probably near the limit of what the Q1 mk1 can push.

Sep 25, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #2,348 of 4,845
The Q1 mk1 only has a single-ended output, so yeah. It's true that it's barely enough for the 58x, though. Through Spotify or with FLAC songs that haven't had their volume decreased too much to prevent clipping, they're fine. But I was listening to a FLAC rip of Blind Guardian's Beyond The Red Mirror earlier and it struggled a bit. I had to push it to like 6.5 on high gain. I didn't hear any distortion or anything, but the 58x is at the limit of what the Q1 can do probably. Also, @RandomDave said that SE on the Mk1 is significantly less powerful. I suppose he means compared to the Mk2's balanced output, because SE vs SE, the Q1 has almost double the power. But when going balanced, the Mk2 is a bit more powerful. I don't know if it's significant, but I digress. I wouldn't use the Mk2 single ended, though. Not with the 58x at least. I'd love to hear the Q5 with these, that would make a glorious combo.

PS : Hanschi's vocals in Beyond The Red Mirror (especially The Throne) sound absolutely glorious on these. I mean, the guy's a god anyway, but these make it easier to appreciate him.

Ah, I see. So most of your songs are probably quieter than mine. Not to mention I use Spotify a lot like a dirty peasant (but I find it so practical that I'm not giving it up any time soon). That explains it. With that said, as I said above, the 58x is probably near the limit of what the Q1 mk1 can push.
Yeah, i missclicked, i meant single ended Q1 MK2 significantly less powerful:beyersmile:

Sep 25, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #2,349 of 4,845
Yeah, so...

I think I'm gonna get the Fulla 2. I don't care about external dac/amp for mobile. Ambient sounds destroy any improved fidelity from those devices.

Seems Fulla 2 has more than enough power for HD58x. Any feedback here w/ the Fulla 2?

Sep 25, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #2,350 of 4,845
There are two pieces of foam on these cans, right? One inside and one on the back behind the grills.

What could be problematic when removing the inside one?
My ears touch them, and removing them feels much better for me.
My previous set (PC 360) did collect some hair, dust etc., so I'm a bit worried about that.

Any thoughts?

Sep 25, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #2,351 of 4,845
Fulla 2 worked well for me on my office setup. I have had my 58X there on occasion as part of that setup. While I wouldn’t want it to be my main DAC/amp at a dedicated home listening spot, I like it for office use where music listening is usually a background thing, and for portability. Mine does go with me in my work bag. Certainly plenty of power with my standard business class laptop and 58X.

Sep 25, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #2,352 of 4,845
There are two pieces of foam on these cans, right? One inside and one on the back behind the grills.

What could be problematic when removing the inside one?
My ears touch them, and removing them feels much better for me.
My previous set (PC 360) did collect some hair, dust etc., so I'm a bit worried about that.

Any thoughts?

Remove the inner foam only if you'd like more highs. Dust or debris on the driver may also become an issue over time.

Sep 25, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #2,355 of 4,845
Ordered the Fulla 2 for portable use. Will update when it arrives how it is. It will be for watching movies and music on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back