Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Sep 15, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #2,176 of 4,845
All this talk of the HD58X having a V or U shaped frequency response is downright silly.

My Adam A7X have a V type sound relative to the HD58X, and those are considered a neutral studio monitor.

You can say it is V shaped relative to another headphone, but saying it is V shaped outright exposes ones ignorance.

That's a really shallow argument. It's like saying Apple earbuds are ruler flat reference headphones. Relative to a corner store bought 1$ buds, that is.

Sep 15, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #2,177 of 4,845
Hmm, impulsively bought the HD58X

Tried to go back and cancel it, nope...

Better be worth it, as I still love both my AD900x and K712.

Sep 15, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #2,178 of 4,845
All this talk of the HD58X having a V or U shaped frequency response is downright silly.

My Adam A7X have a V type sound relative to the HD58X, and those are considered a neutral studio monitor.

You can say it is V shaped relative to another headphone, but saying it is V shaped outright exposes ones ignorance.

You are completely 100% right, your studio monitors are considered neutral. The talk of neutral on Head-Fi with headphones is laughable. Studio monitors are the standard for neutral. While my L308 are entry level, the bass, treble, the sound is so much more substantial and superior to ANY headphones I've ever heard. The bass on the L308 annihilate any bass I've heard from any supposed V-shaped headphone or IEM. The treble crushes any forward sounding headphone or IEM I've heard. Headphones are just so unrealistic.

But that's also why headphones are so great. The sound presentation is completely different than that of speakers. There is something wonderful about listening to headphones, sometimes I definitely rather put on pair of headphones for that more intimate experience than speakers.

My take with audio: Speakers are the definitive way to listen to music and watch movies. I use open-air headphones when I can't use speakers. I use closed headphones when I can't use open-air. I use IEM when I can't use full-sized headphones.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #2,179 of 4,845
See, with my gear and preferences, I find the 58x falls short for ambienty music. Sounds too up close and closed in for my liking. The 400i have a much better presentation for me with this type of music. A much bigger headspace and impression the sounds are slightly forward (in space, whereas the 58x almost always sound like they're playing directly into my ears) I imagine this probably has to do with the angled earpads/drivers (I also get a similar presentation with the X2)
The ambient music I listen to doesn't sound noticibly closed in or anything. I thought the whole point of the recording being ambient is the spacious sound characteristics? Particularly symphony orchestra, or classical should sound a bit distanced. 58X is quite airy to me, and I wouldn't use this term unless there were space involved around the sound. Isn't that what airyness mean? Accentuating the sounds with the space?

With this said, I find the characteristic is cross between Focal Clear and Hifiman HE1000. It's similar in the balance characteristic of the Clear and has that airyness like the HE1000. I think it's the speed and airyness is why I think it's like HE1000, which is a planar (in which the drivers generally sound faster than dynamics except certain ones by Sennheiser or Focal).

I personally like speedy response, and this maybe why I was into planars a bit. It was a better value than Electrostats, which also has fast response. I've heard of delayed bass, etc.. didn't jive too well with me. I know rock needs speed and jazz, perhaps not so much (slowed bass may sound more natural or beneficial). I feel with speed, I hear better clarity in busy passages (or separated better in quick busy passages and Jazz is a bit slower paced).

I've been enjoying Nils Lofgren Acoustic Live. The string picking sounds is very enjoyable in this recording. Guitar hitting sounds are accentuated it seems as the strumming and picking sounds detailed.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #2,180 of 4,845
The ambient music I listen to doesn't sound noticibly closed in or anything. I thought the whole point of the recording being ambient is the spacious sound characteristics? Particularly symphony orchestra, or classical should sound a bit distanced. 58X is quite airy to me, and I wouldn't use this term unless there were space involved around the sound. Isn't that what airyness mean? Accentuating the sounds with the space?

With this said, I find the characteristic is cross between Focal Clear and Hifiman HE1000. It's similar in the balance characteristic of the Clear and has that airyness like the HE1000. I think it's the speed and airyness is why I think it's like HE1000, which is a planar (in which the drivers generally sound faster than dynamics except certain ones by Sennheiser or Focal).

I personally like speedy response, and this maybe why I was into planars a bit. It was a better value than Electrostats, which also has fast response. I've heard of delayed bass, etc.. didn't jive too well with me. I know rock needs speed and jazz, perhaps not so much (slowed bass may sound more natural or beneficial). I feel with speed, I hear better clarity in busy passages (or separated better in quick busy passages and Jazz is a bit slower paced).

I've been enjoying Nils Lofgren Acoustic Live. The string picking sounds is very enjoyable in this recording. Guitar hitting sounds are accentuated it seems as the strumming and picking sounds detailed.

I find the 58x do an excellent job of filling the vacuum of my head. Just with the 400i that space seems bigger (like my head really needs to be any bigger:wink:). For the electrical ambient music I'm referring to (the new Atrium Carceri, for example) I personally like a big, more diffuse presentation - as close to "out of the head" as possible. The 58x just can't quite do that for my ears (not saying they're bad by any means, just not the top of my list). One the other hand, I'm rather impressed at how well the 58x can handle things when there is some good deeep bass happening in those tracks, far better than I was expecting from a smallish driver

Sep 15, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #2,181 of 4,845
I find the 58x do an excellent job of filling the vacuum of my head. Just with the 400i that space seems bigger (like my head really needs to be any bigger:wink:). For the electrical ambient music I'm referring to (the new Atrium Carceri, for example) I personally like a big, more diffuse presentation - as close to "out of the head" as possible. The 58x just can't quite do that for my ears (not saying they're bad by any means, just not the top of my list). One the other hand, I'm rather impressed at how well the 58x can handle things when there is some good deeep bass happening in those tracks, far better than I was expecting from a smallish driver
That's an interesting thing about the Sennheiser drivers, the size. Smaller than I expect them to be considering the sound (I think we expect large due to the cup size). Planar is a different type of driver that has a different configuration incorporating pretty much the whole headphone cup space (a sandwiched configuration). Size doesn't seem to matter here (for dynamics).

If you like electronic sound and out of your head sort of experience, I would recommend trying out the HEK if you can get your hands on one. It performs very well for that sort of thing with an interesting bass presentation (sub bass with subtle but present ambient bass feeling I find is it's distinctive bass character).

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #2,182 of 4,845
I haven't posted on head-fi in years, but I had to come and report how amazing these headphones are. I happened to snag a brand new HD58X from a local guy yesterday and quickly ordered the HD650 replacement cable and Neutrik 4 pin XLR male connector from amazon. Got the parts in the mail today and converted the cable to balanced. connected to my Auralic Taurus MKII and started playing Diana Krall... and oh my, I literally started crying. How in the world are these headphone $150???? These things sounds incredible. Bass, mids, treble.. all immaculate! no hint of sibilance at all! It sounded good singled ended, but balanced through my Auralic Taurus literally transformed these headphones. I have been listening for the past 3 hours and don't want to take these things off my head. These balanced are better than my Fidelio X2, T90 and even Q701. Best $150 I have spent in years. Very happy man right now.

Sep 16, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #2,183 of 4,845
I haven't posted on head-fi in years, but I had to come and report how amazing these headphones are. I happened to snag a brand new HD58X from a local guy yesterday and quickly ordered the HD650 replacement cable and Neutrik 4 pin XLR male connector from amazon. Got the parts in the mail today and converted the cable to balanced. connected to my Auralic Taurus MKII and started playing Diana Krall... and oh my, I literally started crying. How in the world are these headphone $150???? These things sounds incredible. Bass, mids, treble.. all immaculate! no hint of sibilance at all! It sounded good singled ended, but balanced through my Auralic Taurus literally transformed these headphones. I have been listening for the past 3 hours and don't want to take these things off my head. These balanced are better than my Fidelio X2, T90 and even Q701. Best $150 I have spent in years. Very happy man right now.
Diana Krall is probably my most listened female vocals. I've been listening to Shelby Lynne. :)

91n112GhgHL._SL1500_.jpg

Sep 16, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #2,184 of 4,845

Nice tune, listened to it with my HD58X at first but it felt too closed in to be really enjoyable so I tried a few other headphone and found that on my Nhoord Red V2 or RS2e this song comes alive and makes me feel like I'm sitting front row center. Great song recommendation :ksc75smile:

Sep 16, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #2,185 of 4,845
It's open now as I type this. To my chagrin, I've discovered that unlike most drops that have a definitive end date, since Sennheiser has ongoing inventory, it's effectively an infinite series of daily drops. Every day the "ends in XX hours" countdown counter resets and still displays, but when the timer runs out a new drop is opened.

It's apparently a marketing gimmick to get people to buy: "Ooh, today is the last day of the drop; I'd better buy." On the heels of Z's recent video, it snagged me. Well played, Massdrop.

Now on some future day, the drop will actually end... we just don't know when that will be.

Get while the getting's good.

Thank you so much for pointing that out!

I don't really pay Massdrop too much mind. I looked at the page once and at the time there was only a few hours left, but I just had too many expenses lately. Hopefully next month it'll still be around. Really want a pair. Been rocking nothing but closed backs and want to experience something well regarded with an open back.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #2,186 of 4,845
The term V-shaped comes from the graph looking like a V, so here's the graphs for both HD58X (1), compared to the HD660S (2) and compared to the HD6XX (3):
HD58X Frequency Response.png

HD58X FR compared to HD66S.png
HD58X r2 compared to HD6XX.png

The HD6XX and 660S are the yellow lines in the respective comparisons. I don't know, but I don't see much V in there and certainly not any more on the HD58X compared to the other two.

The midrange on the HD6XX sounds more forward because of the roll of it has in both ends, this doesn't make the HD58X V-shaped......

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #2,187 of 4,845
The term V-shaped comes from the graph looking like a V, so here's the graphs for both HD58X (1), compared to the HD660S (2) and compared to the HD6XX (3):

The HD6XX and 660S are the yellow lines in the respective comparisons. I don't know, but I don't see much V in there and certainly not any more on the HD58X compared to the other two.

The midrange on the HD6XX sounds more forward because of the roll of it has in both ends, this doesn't make the HD58X V-shaped......

I take it the green line is 58X?

The one's saying it's v-Shaped is probably cause they aren't used to hearing bass. LOL

Sep 16, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #2,188 of 4,845
I take it the green line is 58X?

The one's saying it's v-Shaped is probably cause they aren't used to hearing bass. LOL

Yes, green and red are the HD58X :)

Sep 16, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #2,189 of 4,845

What's wrong with the HD58x cable? I recall the HD650 cable wasn't amazing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back