Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jul 8, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #1,246 of 4,845
So my pair should arrive monday. I’m gonna have to get a dac/amp to power them that is portable. Any impressions with the DragonFly Red or maybe something from ifi?

I’ve had the Mojo but have sold it, so any suggestions would be appreciated...

I have a DF Black and gave them a shot with it. Didn't like the sound at first and felt underpowered but after a day of burn in, it seems to amplify them enough, not much headroom though so I bet the Red would be perfect.

Jul 8, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #1,247 of 4,845
I'm sitting here as a late orderer with #668. Here are my initial sound impressions vs. HD600 after a couple days of ownership. To save space and time, I am only including impressions that have not already been mentioned here by other people.

Good:
-It is cleaner and faster for music that has loads of details throughout the FR, such as classical, than the HD600.

Bad:
-The combination of the speed and reduced presence region makes it a bit more fatiguing than the HD600. With the hd600 I find I can turn up the volume and the treble usually stays laid back. With the 58x, it's a bit harder to find the ideal listening volume because it does get a bit hot. I think part (but not all) of this is me being so used to the HD600 and therefore turning the volume up to make the mids more present.

-The HD600 sounds more euphonic and somehow a bit more natural for acoustic music recorded in small to medium spaces. However, this impression could be caused by my being so used to the HD600's presentation.

Conclusion: The HD600 has the ability to convey detail with softness and delicacy with the best of them. This makes it extremely transparent for a lot of acoustic music. The HD58x is more forward and perhaps lacks the last bit of treble detail. However, cutting out the mid-bass bloom and a bit of the presence region makes it a bit better and more exciting for classical music, and the sub-bass and speed probably makes it better for other more heavily produced music. I have a feeling I will like the hd58x more and more as I listen to it more.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #1,248 of 4,845
I'm sitting here as a late orderer with #668. Here are my initial sound impressions vs. HD600 after a couple days of ownership. To save space and time, I am only including impressions that have not already been mentioned here by other people.

Good:
-It is cleaner and faster for music that has loads of details throughout the FR, such as classical, than the HD600.

Bad:
-The combination of the speed and reduced presence region makes it a bit more fatiguing than the HD600. With the hd600 I find I can turn up the volume and the treble usually stays laid back. With the 58x, it's a bit harder to find the ideal listening volume because it does get a bit hot. I think part (but not all) of this is me being so used to the HD600 and therefore turning the volume up to make the mids more present.

-The HD600 sounds more euphonic and somehow a bit more natural for acoustic music recorded in small to medium spaces. However, this impression could be caused by my being so used to the HD600's presentation.

Conclusion: The HD600 has the ability to convey detail with softness and delicacy with the best of them. This makes it extremely transparent for a lot of acoustic music. The HD58x is more forward and perhaps lacks the last bit of treble detail. However, cutting out the mid-bass bloom and a bit of the presence region makes it a bit better and more exciting for classical music, and the sub-bass and speed probably makes it better for other more heavily produced music. I have a feeling I will like the hd58x more and more as I listen to it more.

Interesting comments, thank you

Jul 8, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #1,249 of 4,845
I have a DF Black and gave them a shot with it. Didn't like the sound at first and felt underpowered but after a day of burn in, it seems to amplify them enough, not much headroom though so I bet the Red would be perfect.

Yes, the Red’s 2.1V output is more than adequate for the HD58X. I have used it for more than a week now. Great companion to all Sennheiser 600 series headphones.

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #1,251 of 4,845
I wish the industry would come up with more headphones at this price/performance ratio. Look at the excitement 58x and 6xx are generating in our community. Kudos to massdrop and sennheiser.
I agree I really would like something high end from Grado

Jul 8, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #1,252 of 4,845
I agree I really would like something high end from Grado

Grado's business model is "make the same headphone as the cheapest model, but tweak the driver and add some wood...charge 12 times the price".

Jul 9, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #1,256 of 4,845
I wish the industry would come up with more headphones at this price/performance ratio. Look at the excitement 58x and 6xx are generating in our community. Kudos to massdrop and sennheiser.

Typically, when a product is produced, it’s sold to many businesses in small amounts, then those businesses mark it up a considerable amount. They have to make a fair share of product to bother stocking it and they wouldn’t sell Sennheiser headphones in enough quantity to keep the profit margin low and have it still be worthwhile from a business perspective. Here, Massdrop is selling the products in a large quantity and can afford to keep the profits somewhat low. The only way to make products this affordable is to sell them in quantity or direct from their manufacturer. Selling directly is probably going to be more and more common over time for this reason. The internet and word of mouth now advertises much better than it used to.

Jul 9, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #1,257 of 4,845
If you took away R&D, I think we'd be disgusted by the true cost to manufacture a lot of products, audio and others.

I think that Sennheiser selling the HD-6XX could be looked at as cashing in on a known product that still most likely sells in pretty good numbers but I gotta believe even Sennheiser was a bit staggard by the numbers they have sold of these through Massdrop .
Now the HD-58X jubilee although most is from a design being used from the early 90s the drivers are supposed to be unique to the model and not a lot of us dove in blindly but with what I would consider mostly positive reviews another drop they would sell better .
And if they made an HD800 drop with A price like $599 which they could do now that the 820 and ,800s are their flagships that would do quite well for them .

I understand they need to make their R&D costs back with higher prices but once they have made that back offering decent deals to the community that has supported them all these years is a win win situation

Jul 9, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #1,258 of 4,845
Finally! Estimated delivery: 10.7.2018, 18.00. Took 20 days to arrive.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #1,259 of 4,845
Finally! Estimated delivery: 10.7.2018, 18.00. Took 20 days to arrive.

So Massdrops delivery to Finland is finally Finnish sorry I could not help myself congratulations on finally getting them ...enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back