Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jul 5, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #1,141 of 4,845
I still have no clue what my HD-6XX number will be or if they are going to make me wait two more months for it .
By the time it arrives I should have every other member of the family except the 650 because that would be redundant

If you install a 10ft stock cable from Sennheiser on your HD6XX, then the only remaining difference between a 650 and a 6XX is the colour: midnight blue instead of grey.

Jul 5, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #1,142 of 4,845
What are you folks using for burn in on these?

Just got mine an hour ago. Serial 3352.

Livin’ on a Prayer / Bon Jovi
Back in Black or Thunderstuck / AC/DC
Love bites / Def Leppard

I’m not a fan of heavy metal but I’m sure it’s an efficient solution to burn in process...

How about the high pitch note of All by Myself from Céline Dion if you dislike Metal...

For the sub-bass: Relax (New-York Mix) from Frankie Goes To Hollywood should do it in repeat mode for a couple of days...

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #1,144 of 4,845
What's the ranking for

HD600
HD6xx
HD59X
HD650
HD660

in terms of

Neutrality / Soundstage / Sub-bass / Mids and of course Overall ?

I’ll simply suggest my 1st rating (and in some cases second rating) for each criteria. Two notes:
1) By the way the current HD650 is exactly the same headphone as the HD6XX, except for cord length and colour,
2) Haven’t tried the HD660S yet, so I exclude it for my ranking choices.

Neutrality: HD600
Soundstage: I would all rank them fairly equal, HD650/6XX has better mids soundstage and HD58X has better sub bass soundstage.
Sub Bass: HD58X, HD650/6XX
Mids: HD650/6XX, HD600
Live rock concert type sound: HD58X
EDM: HD58X
Pop/Vocal: HD650, HD600
Acoustic: HD600, HD650/6XX
Jazz: HD650/6XX
Classical: HD600, HD650/6XX
Enjoyment/Musicality/Goose bump effect: HD650/6XX
Overall: see Enjoyment/Musicality/Goose bump effect above

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #1,145 of 4,845
Just got my Massdrop HD580X and was A/B them with the HD6XX. What immediately struck me was the better clarity, speed, dynamics in the midrange and feel the "veil" has been lifted from the HD650 when I listen to the HD58X. The bass is a bit more solid but doens't seem to go as low. There is no clear "winner" between the two. They are simply different. There is no question that the HD58X is in the same league with the HD650 (HD6XX). I could see perhaps that maybe, with brighter material, that the HD58X could be a little more fatiguing, but I'v only listened for an hour so far. The sound could mature as the hours tick offf. I could also imagine that people that love female jazz vocals would prefer the HD58X to the HD650. The vocals are so darn pristine and smooth.

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #1,146 of 4,845
Just got my Massdrop HD580X and was A/B them with the HD6XX. What immediately struck me was the better clarity, speed, dynamics in the midrange and feel the "veil" has been lifted from the HD650 when I listen to the HD58X. The bass is a bit more solid but doens't seem to go as low. There is no clear "winner" between the two. They are simply different. There is no question that the HD58X is in the same league with the HD650 (HD6XX). I could see perhaps that maybe, with brighter material, that the HD58X could be a little more fatiguing, but I'v only listened for an hour so far. The sound could mature as the hours tick offf. I could also imagine that people that love female jazz vocals would prefer the HD58X to the HD650. The vocals are so darn pristine and smooth.
Second this!

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #1,147 of 4,845
finally received mine at the parcel forwarding service!! YAY!!
364568-695050-arrival-07-5-2018.jpg

Jul 6, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #1,149 of 4,845
finally received mine at the parcel forwarding service!! YAY!!
Even parcel forwarding is quicker option than DHL... Looks like I'll get mine on next Tuesday at best.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #1,150 of 4,845

can you pls add HD600 to the comparison if you have?

Jul 6, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #1,151 of 4,845
bgYCa2Z.jpg

Hi there, yesterday I received them. I had to pay 45€ for custom taxes (I'm in Spain), but thankfully I like them so much that I don't care. From my LG V30 with Tidal the sound quality, clarity and dynamics are really great. The phone has enough power to drive them happily. At this moment I have also HD600 and 58x is only 10-20% easier to drive. That's great because LG V30 becomes a great companion and I truly can forget other DAP's for a long time. Now I have more than enough for IEM's and at home with H58X.

Now (extremely) subjective comparisons from first impressions after a couple of hours. In the past few years I had HD650, HD600, HD700, Fidelio X2, AKG K7XX and for a few months HD 660S. From these my favourite are my current HD600. I like the traditional balance for all kinds of music.

HD 650 were great but I always felt they were great for some kinds of music and almost wrong for others. I had a love-hate relation with them but I would put them in second position in my humble hall of fame. HD 700 were like a nightmare for me. The treble was so piercing I could not bear them. Just after HD700 I tried last christmas the HD660S and I never loved them. The legendary veil vanished, bass was great, it was very dynamic, very fun to listen... but again treble problems for me. They were fatiguing after short listening sessions. Actually returned to the HD600 and I was very happy to stay with that traditional equilibrium.

But HD58x was announced and I decided again to try, a blind bet but with a very attractive price so I went for it. And WOW, immediatly these become my favourite headphones. I know some people won't agree with this but I think HD58x are far better than HD660S. I hear same kind of dynamics, clarity, "definition", great bass, and treble is absolutly under control. For me it's the equilibrium I was searching but in a new level. The price/performance ratio you get is really special.

Congratulations to Sennheiser and Massdrop for the HD 58X.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #1,152 of 4,845
Finally what seems to be some real, decent reviews and first glances.. I'm glad everyone likes them and it seems like they're just what I've been expecting from them :beyersmile:

I wonder how the dekoni's would work on these, and how a little treble boosting might work to enhance the early treble roll off..

Jul 6, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #1,154 of 4,845
Ok so when is the next drop? Any info, predictions? However I will not buy them if they up the price.

I am pretty sure the next drop will be in another few months as they usually do. Unless they have extras that were not sold this last drop, then it could drop again in a month or two.I doubt that though. And I am pretty sure the price will not change at all. I'd say grab them when you can if you are looking for new cans. They are pretty good imo.

Jul 6, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #1,155 of 4,845
I am pretty sure the next drop will be in another few months as they usually do. Unless they have extras that were not sold this last drop, then it could drop again in a month or two.I doubt that though. And I am pretty sure the price will not change at all. I'd say grab them when you can if you are looking for new cans. They are pretty good imo.
One of their employees on massdrop forum said there may be price change for HD58x (as well as HD6xx) due to copper price increase (apparantly important component of production). This was before drop ended, so not sure if he was just scaring people in order to speed up sales, which were much worse than HD6xx. I call this BS, especially given the fact these are so mediocore in built quality they can't cost more than 20-30$ to manufacture. Time wll tell... Last year they said they ordered 5000 from Sennheiser, but they sold 4758, so maybe they have some left in stock. Yeah I will definetly grab them for 149$.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back